1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Party boat charges for Culpepper, others

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Dec 15, 2005.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Culpepper, three other Vikings charged in boat party scandal

By JEFF BAENEN, Associated Press Writer
    December 15, 2005

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and three other Minnesota Vikings were charged Thursday with three misdemeanors each for taking part in a bawdy boat party earlier this season on Lake Minnetonka.

Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers.

If convicted, each player faces up to a maximum of 90 days in jail and a $10,000 fine on each count.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen's decision was based on findings by the Hennepin County sheriff's office, whose investigators reviewed allegations of lewd and drunken behavior aboard a floating party Oct. 6 that involved some Vikings players.

Crew members complained that some people took off their clothes and engaged in public sex acts during the cruise, according to Stephen Doyle, an attorney representing the boat owners, Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises in Mound. The crew members identified 17 Vikings among about 90 people on the two boats.

The court papers released Thursday said Smoot and defensive end Lance Johnstone arranged the charter.

Smoot declined comment in the team's locker room before practice. Both Culpepper and Williams are on injured reserve and in rehabilitation on their own, away from the team. McKinnie wasn't seen in the locker room.

Vikings coach Mike Tice was careful with his reaction.

"According to NFL rules and union contracts, there is a large difference between allegations and charges and convictions," Tice said. "So until at any point there is a conviction of some type, if there is, I have no action to take and nothing to say."

After that, Tice threatened to stop talking to reporters if anyone asked more questions about the allegations.

Reports that some women at the party were paid to come from outside Minnesota had raised the possibility of federal charges, but U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger said Thursday that no such charges would be brought. Heffelfinger cited insufficient evidence.

That decision, along with sheriff's decision to send the case to Tallen's office, meant any charges would be minor. Tallen is the prosecuting attorney for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which handles nonfelony crimes committed on the big lake just west of Minneapolis.

The boat scandal hit the Vikings when they were already reeling, off to a 1-3 start, and made them the object of national ridicule on late-night TV and cable sports channels. New owner Zygi Wilf, who had been seeking state help for a new stadium, responded forcefully, apologizing to Gov. Tim Pawlenty and other state officials and instituting a new code of conduct.

The team has since recovered on the field and, with quarterback Brad Johnson replacing the injured Culpepper, reeled off six straight wins to become a playoff contender at 8-5.

Running back Michael Bennett said he didn't think the charges would hurt the team heading into Sunday's game against Pittsburgh.

"Everybody's upbeat," he said. "We have the distraction today, but again we've dealt with it pretty well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...B?slug=ap-vikings-boatparty&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I'd like to see pictures of the girls...

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tough year for Culpepper ~ I can't believe they're breaking his balls over a lap dance.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like it was the boat staff that had the problem with all of the activities. Since it was Smoot who chartered the boat, I would blame his ass for not getting people that would keep their mouth shut.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It really sounds like they are making a big deal out of nothing.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Just a couple of playa's trying to get some on the side...No biggie, unless your the police...Pics would be nice...of the girls that is...

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you consider this nothing:

"Witnesses reported that they saw McKinnie "pick up a naked woman, place her on the bar in the lounge area, and commence to perform oral sex on the woman." At a different time in the evening, the witnesses said they saw "Mr. McKinnie along with three other unidentified males receiving oral sex from four women while the men were seated in deck chairs on the boat.""

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5784419.html

Do you think the employees of the charter as well as the charter owners should be subjected to this kind of behavior? This behavior did not take place in a private area, but in view of other guests and staff (no pun intended).

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That is probably the worst of it but the stuff they list for Dante are pretty weak.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sounds like a typical weekend.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It was a chartered boat so I assume there wasn't any "other guests" and it was a private party. It appears all the people involved were engaged in consesual activity in the middle of a freaken lake at night. Assuming the didn't harrass or assault the staff, it seems much to do about nothing to me--or minimally low level misdemeaner kind of stuff.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sorry, but if I were a worker on that boat, I would be extremely offended and uncomfortable if I saw folks engaged in oral sex and other activities. The boat that was chartered was from a "mom and pop" charter company and there was no indication this sort of behavior would be going on.

Wouldn't you consider the folks invited to the party to be "guests"?

Although the activity was "consenual", it was probably illegal considering some of the women were flown in from Atlanta. So far there has not been enough evidence for prostitution charges, but reading between the lines certainly indicates it.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

where are all the people who talk about if they were an athlete they would get in trouble, blah, blah, blah. the only reason this is news is because they are million dollar athletes. the police had a press conference to announce misdemeanor charges.

if you got caught they wouldn't be considering some old federal law about tranporting women across state lines for prostitution.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would be offended if I worked on that boat and they didn't get the strippers to offer me a BJ.