1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo] McGrady and Adelman in heated argument

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by keez857, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Sorry guys, this may have been addressed somewhere in the thread, but I didn't scan through all pages....

Adleman doesn't strike me as the type to engage in a 'heated arguement' with a player, especially not with a guy who hasn't even played this year.

Even when Von went nuts on the sideline during the playoffs last year, it didn't appear as though RA lost his cool at all. Maybe he's just good at staying cool when the cameras are on, but I just don't see it.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Let him play once he is cleared to play. If doctors clear him, then there are no more excuses. I don't want to hear how he doesn't fit. If he is still on the team, then he deserves the opportunity to play in real games to find his role again. I think it would be really stupid to get him ready to play with all the work he has put in...and not even give him the chance to get back out there and actually play. I like Adelman but, if he puts Tmac in the doghouse, then to hell with him.

3. emmanuelb

emmanuelb Member

what a mess i hope this doesnt turn out like the marbury situation

4. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Member

Im sure it got heated more due to mcgrady than adelman. Tracys an emotional guy and im sure hes frustrated as hell. The last year and a half im sure has been frustrating for him and he prolly just vented and coach had to put it in perspective for mcgrady.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

your definition of outstanding is pretty out there, then. First, he averaged 15.6 per game and 5 assists, not 5-7. But beyond that, and this was a flaw of his even when healthy, he was simply not efficient AT ALL. He was shooting 39% from the field. Not good. And it's been a while...as in a number of years, since he's been a efficient offensive player. Was he still a playmaker? Well, sure. He also dominated the ball, though. In his defense, he kind of had to, if you know the PG's he played with...but, point is, he was not playing outstanding and hasn't in a while.

This situation isn't all about the insurance or all about Tracy's health. It's definitely about both. It would be stupid of the Rockets, as an organization, to not take the insurance into consideration. Just as it would be stupid for them to use it as the only consideration.

The team is playing well, they are now collecting some insurance, and even if Tracy comes back in early December, it will still be a remarkable quick turnaround for someone who has had a micro-fracture surgery. The doctors and MRI can say all kinds of positive things, history seems to have proven that micro-fracture surgery is a very intensive surgery that requires a lot of rehab and time, with a number of examples of players coming back too earlier.

And finally, as many have pointed out, the team has to consider the T-Mac drama last year. He had some work done that offseason as well, and was saying all the right things, too. Moreover, despite the fact that the team let him effectively self-diagnose, continue to play, on a random one day he's in, one day he's out type basis, worked with him, etc, etc, he still pulled the pre-trade deadline crap.

There's a reason Tracy's nickname is now Me-Mac. Because it is about his well-being ahead of the team's. There's nothing wrong with that, from an individual perspective. Just like there's nothing wrong with him being eager to play right now, as he's hoping to work himself into a decent contract again (though it's hard to imagine him getting more than a full MLE at this point, regardless of what happens). But as a fan, who cares about the Rockets first and foremost, it's pretty disappointing.

The best course of action for the team, be it from the owners financial perspective or the on the court performance of the club, is clearly to continue to path laid out already. Let the knee heal as long as possible (always a good thing), wait until the MRI date, if Tracy is healthy at that point, slowly start integrating him back into the team...meaning pick up the pace in practice, get a few minutes in game-action, preferably when we are way ahead or behind, and see how it goes. And continue to pursue trade options.

Oh...and why doesn't Tracy just go get his knee MRI'd on his own?

1 person likes this.
  6. Convictedstupid

Tracy is an idiot. You cant screw the team over one year then the next year come back from a huge surgery and expect to play when HE wants and everything be fine. Something is messed up in his head if he thinks that can happen.

Trade him now before he talks to Stephen A again.

7. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Member

Feigen is a rockets puppet. A lot of times he doesnt have the info, and when he does have it he can't report it because then he won't be given the info ever again.

8. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

It LOOKS LIKE (my guess) the coach does not want him back, the gm does not want him.

But do not forget the most important factor: the players. The core guys: Battier/Scola/Brooks ... they seem really quiet (indifferent maybe) about TMac's news. If they do not want TMac back, that's even a bigger problem. Because TMac will screw up the chemistry if he's not welcomed.

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Member

Theyre quiet about it because they still have a job to do. Trust me, McGrady would make all of those guys jobs alot easier. They would gladly welcome him back to the lineup if hes ready.

10. 9495

9495 Member

The team chemistry may be good. But if Adelman doesn't know how to take advantage of a T-mac on his team, he is not a good coach.
    Curious about how T-mac thinks about his own future, staying a Rocket or moving on. If he stays, he has Yao and a group of young, talented team to work with. He may still "lead" this group to a championship. Or he could bolt to a contending team. But that's like Payton getting it in Miami. For someone with a big ego, it doesn't feel the same.
    If I were T-mac, I would be dying to stay a Rocket.
    The question is whether Houston wants him. It all depends on what we can get in return in a trade or how much it costs to resign him. I trust Morey to make that judgement.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sometimes it is better to let a talented malcontent just walk, and play with a lesser talented team oriented player.

As a manager of people, I have had to let extremely talented people go, because they screwed up the team's chemistry.....and kept people with less talent but more team oriented.

Overall, the team is what matters, and that is more important to success than one individual, IMO.

DD

12. vmatth

vmatth Member

dont know why ppl are bashing mac just like the rockets are trying to collect the insurancee money. macis trying to collect a pay check. he trying to show hes back and get a pay check. this is he last chance to get a big contract. it would be like if you missed work because you were sick and when you got better your boss told you to stay home.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Maybe Mac should have thought of that before he went and screwed the organization over last year at the trade deadline.

Maybe if he was more of a TEAM player this would not be happening.

Karma - ain't it a b****.

DD

14. vmatth

vmatth Member

mac said before training camp last season he wasnt ready its the rockets fault on this one. the team doctors kept saying he was ok but he wasnt.he knew something was wrong with his body so who can blame him for fixing himself and his career

15. legend215

legend215 Member

So Tracy finally ran into a couple of people that he can't have traded or fired.....hmmm, you're right Karma is a b***h

16. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Member

That is indeed true, but you also have to look at it from this perspective: Atleast give the guy a chance to prove that he can help the team on the court. Sometimes, you do have to make decisions to let talent go, but you want to give them every opportunity to prove themselves, and a healthy mcgrady is more than just a talented guy. He's one of the greatest to ever play the game. Last season was bad, but you could tell it was a physical problem. There was something physically wrong with him. He says he feels great now so we'll see.

17. HPD

HPD Member

ding ding ding . . so true

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I quit reading at like page 4, but I don't understand why people are trying to discredit Woj(again). He broke the Yao Ming injury. He's generally a very good writer and is well respected.

I don't know why anyone would think this isn't true, especially with the reasoning being the lack of reporting by our local media. I hate to tell this to people who haven't figured it out yet, but the Houston sports media is awful. Compared to other markets, the Houston media is like a high school newspaper.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmKAY

Rocket River

20. caneks

caneks Rookie

It is clear for me that this is not conflict between TMac and Coach Adelman. Doctors thought it was better for TMac to play through in last season, and TMac decided to have surgery. Now, all doctors think this kind of surgery would take about 1 year to have a full recovery, and TMac think he needs to come back now. What kind of drama is this? I mean, really, What the hell?