1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo] McGrady and Adelman in heated argument

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by keez857, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PeppermintCandy

It's possible. The article says McGrady had to miss 41 consecutive games. Maybe his playing a few minutes of an exhibition game would have counted.

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

If it's a money issue, it doesn't explain why Adelman is also against tmac playing. Maybe Adelman just doesn't like tmac, maybe he want tmac to re-injure himself before they do the MRI - I don't know. I'm just saying it looks like this goes further than just insurance money.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

corrected

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I love it. For once, the Rockets have McGrady by the balls...:)

5. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe they just want to make absolutely certain he is ready before they sacrifice the insurance money. Doubt they want him to play once, still feel hobbled, then sit another twenty and pass on 6 million bucks.

Maybe Morey gave explicit instructions to RA not to play him or "make something up" so they don't have to tell Tracy the truth.

I am really just taking stabs in the dark here with the supposed information we have.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Member

The heated argument makes perfect sense. Adelman must have told McGrady they were going to ISO him. ;)

7. 9495

9495 Member

After T-mac missed 41 games, the team collects insurance money for however many games he is not playing this year.
    We just passed that threashold. If T-mac comes back right after 41 games (before the Minnesota game), wouldn't it look like the team is purposefully holding him out for so long? Of course that's good business decision, but insurance company might get suspicious.
    Plus, the MRI date is set on 23rd, there is no reason why the team should move that date up simply because T-mac wants to play.

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

From what I understood from the article, now that he's passed the 41 game mark, if he plays and then gets reinjured later this season, insurance will still cover those 20 games, so it's no longer an all or nothing situation.

9. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

Right now i feel really mad at Adelman, he's clearly being unfair to McGrady, and
    he shouldn't be treating him that way.Like someone said, is like he's taking revenge about last season. The thing is
    THAT'S NOT HOW BASKETBALL BUSINESS SHOULD BE HANDLED!!

I know that's Adelman's job and i can tell him how to do his job, but still, they don't look
    at the way he can play right now, they only look at the way he played last season...

10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

^^^^^

11. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Bah I have no freaking idea then.

I don't get why they would hold him out, seems silly if you ask me.

12. No Chance

No Chance Member

Rockets will most likely start playing T-mac before Dec 15th for limited minutes . If he buys into playing the Rick A way the Rockets will keep him without trying to hard to trade him before the trade deadline.

Dec 15th I believe is when all the Rookies and free agents signed this year can be traded.

I think they will be careful with him so he does not re injure himself before then!

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

MAYBE, Adelman is simply telling the truth! ;)

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Perhaps, but if the speculation is true then they are walking a fine line here and they could be shooting themselves in the foot. Past drama aside, if McGrady is anything like what he was before the 2008-09 season, he is a major upgrade to this team and losing him completely would be costly. It's not like he has no recourse here -- as has been pointed out, he can file a grievance against the organization. They need to manage that relationship and not burn bridges. As has been pointed out ad nauseum, even if they are planning to trade him, they are not going to get their money's worth unless they can put him on the court and make him look really good. If things continue the way they are going right now, that is not going to happen. Put it this way: one way or another, McGrady is going to be playing in the next few weeks, and if it isn't in a Rockets uniform, odds are the Rockets situation won't be good.

Personally I'm just hoping that they do the much publicized MRI on Monday, clear him to play and end this whole episode before it gets more complicated. For now I'm still assuming that they are just sticking to their guns and refusing to budge from their preseason declaration that he would not play before the 23rd (of course, the specificity of that date at that early date and their steadfastness only lends more credence to the theory that insurance money is involved. Whatever friction/arguments that are appearing would then be as a result of them not being able to admit to him their true reason for holding him out).

15. No Chance

No Chance Member

That would be a novel idea. I would love to see T-mac come back and play good in the system, We would be a 50+ win team again.

16. 9495

9495 Member

The fact that T-mac wants to play in the Minnesota game - exactly after missing 41 games - is a way of showing up, or protesting against, the team management. The hidden message is: I could have played earlier, but now I have waited long enough to give the team an opportunity to save money in case I miss more games, you guys should let me play because I feel ready.
    Of course the management won't like this, it makes them look like they are delaying T-mac's return just to save money.
    Whether this is true or not, it's inmaturity on T-mac's part. Any clearly there is no chemistry between him and the team.
    T-mac wants to play, for his own benefit. Of course Adelman would be cautious that would ruin the team's ongoing good chemistry.
    I say, he shouldn't play until he is on the same page with the team.

17. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

Like I said... Insurance.

And the Temple/Sessions talk was a joke. It was feeding into all the people who wanted Rockets' news. I said so back in that thread. Apologize if you didn't like the "joke"

18. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

Funny. I hear this everytime there's a questionable Yahoo article, someone says this same thing. and then it ends up having some leggs. go figure. Where theres smoke, theres fire.

19. illwil29

illwil29 Member

Let's get Rick Adelman out of here. For god sakes, he did the same thing to Francis and I know Steve Francis was better than than Luther Head and Rafer Alston. It's a shame that people can hold grudges. Insurance money and Adleman are keeping him out. As a Rockets fan I want to see the best product out there. That's why I have not bought a ticket yet. I was waiting for Mac to get back, but it goes to show that the fans of the Rockets are getting screwed out of that due to money. I know money makes the world go round, but sometimes you have to care about other things. Give dude a chance, because what's out there right now is not the Rockets best product. Even when Mcgrady comes back it will still not be their best product because Yao's is out, but it will be alot closer. Also I don't give a coach credit when we have a chance to take game 4 and at the end of the game he doesn't have his seven footer out there. Ridiculous why do you think he has never won a championship. Bad coaching decisions in crunch time. If anything defensive and offensive substitutions would have been ideal for that situation.

20. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Agreed. Not enough credibility in that story for me to even worry about that actually having happened.