1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[yahoo] McGrady and Adelman in heated argument

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by keez857, Nov 20, 2009.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It says the League's TTD policy is for 41 games not 41 days. Yahoo may have edited it. Its only for the league's TTD policy not for any private short term disablity insurance that the Rockets may also have.

Many insurance companies have a long term disability plan that kicks in after most short term policies end.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Going to be real interesting if he plays or not after the MRI. I wonder if Tracy McStatement will suit up today and stand his ground. :p

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

We have a good team. Only going to be better with Mcgrady.

4. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Not necessarily....T-Mac right now is a 6'8 heartless, wuss, injury prone version of Allen Iverson.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

McGrady is making the case that he's ready to play, and the Rocket's either don't think he's ready or aren't sure enough to risk rocking the boat by bringing him back to soon.

Both positions make sense and both parties are acting rationally. T-Mac wants to prove to fans and teammates and potential new employers that he still has value to a team.

It's a simple disagreement. For whatever reason people take disagreement between members of an organization and translate that to personal animosity and drama.

Hopefully T-Mac will come back strong and the team well, and we can put all this behind us.

I hate drama, especially in the work place.

6. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Agreed.

Thats kind of the thing that bothers me with this whole McGrady debacle. This isn't like the Allen Iverson situation where he's on a new team and he has a history of being a "me-first" guy. McGrady does kind of have that history... but he also has a history of playing with Battier, Hayes, Scola, Landry, Brooks, etc. They have played together for a few years now.

So when you talk about Chemistry, I suppose there is part of us that doesn't want to mess up a good thing. But at the same time this isn't like trying to add AI to Memphis. When it comes to McGrady, the question was always whether the will to play was there. For this season at least, it looks like he wants to prove people wrong.

And the other thing that bothered me... we put our faith in guys like Ariza and Brooks to put up big numbers when they havn't proven they can play at that level until this season. Yet when it comes to McGrady, you have a guy that has played at that level before as recently as 2 seasons ago before his injuries when there was talk about him being in the MVP conversation during that 22 game win streak, and people doubt that he can help this team.

I'm not saying he WILL help this team, but he certainly can.

7. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

its simple people:

- Tracy thinks he is ready to play and wants to know when they are going to put him back on the court.

- Aldeman and Morey are sticking to their guns and going to have the SCHEDULED MRI preformed before they put him back on the court.

- Reasoning behind the decision to wait is because if he isn't fully healed, they don't want him reinjurying himself, that would diminish his trade value greatly.

- in my humble opinion, and i am a T-Mac fan, he needs to stfu and do whatever they need him to do to get him back on the court. all that throwing tantrums is not going to make them change their minds about what they have planned for him already. he needs to just keep working hard and follow their plans for his return.

8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

But if you read the article, they talk about all kinds of doctors and trainers clearing him for full contact drills. Obviously I don't think they should put him on the court without practicing with the team first, but what is an MRI going to tell us? If that MRI shows anything, people need to lose their jobs because he shouldn't have been cleared in the first place.

I'm not exactly disagreeing with you, but I think its more about him not practicing with the team before his first game more than not getting an MRI.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah...except that the article mentions Tmac passing several examinations:

Exhibit A:
    Exhibit B:
    First of all, let me say this source is legit, or as legit as someone outside the organization can get. AW is one of the most legit sports columnists out there, I have no idea how he gets his stuff but he hasn't made a wrong news item yet. Secondly, it is clear that T-mac is being isoed, at least until the nov 23 deadline. Why? There are probably a ton of reasons:

1) Tmac might affect chemistry badly.

2) Revenge for Tmac's drama last season.

3) Financial gain

4) To teach Tmac a lesson for declaring something out of the blue again (predicting his return during the game)

My guess although all reasons are true, the 4rth option is the most likely biggest reason for doing this. DM and RA want to teach Tmac a lesson about deciding stuff for himself, and staying put on the company line that he will take an MRI, and then be allowed to play sometime in December. Meanwhile while they do that, Tmac gets to cool his ass down and get in shape, the team gets to build chemistry, Les gets more moolah on the table, and who knows, somebody might be desparate enough to put together a decent package for him, like maybe the Nets or Sacto. Its win-win for the organization. They're basically screwing over Tmac here, but at the same time considering what he did last season he probably deserves it.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

All this is is payback from last season. The Rockets are ready to announce Amare Stou...oh wait, McGrady's having surgery. Now, McGrady is ready to give his team the extra edge and revive his caree....oh wait, the Rockets don't feel he's ready enough

11. 9495

9495 Member

Seriously guys, give him a chance to lead us to the second round this year. Why not? You just sub Yao and Artest with Tracy & Ariza, and the whole young core is back.
    In that case, the team may try to resign him. And it will give us high hopes next season when Yao is back.
    We need some optimists here!

12. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I agree with the your saying that Tmac is basically able to play (everyone has cleared him for full contact drills and all that). So there shouldn't be any of this "lets take it slow". Taking it slow might be letting him practice or play a few minutes a game and see where things are.

However, I can't blame the coach for saying no. He hasn't practiced with the team yet. That would be stupid to have him play without having practiced. I think thats the reason he isn't on the court yet.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

1. After his shenanigans last season, I don't care what T-Mac's opinion of his own health status is.

2. How do you just "give him a chance" without totally changing the rotation and style of play? All I've ever seen Tracy do is jack shots up and not defend. The Rockets are playing a team game now, which includes passing and running the floor. It's not about standing around watching T-Mac jack the next shot.

3. He took himself out of the lineup. He should be pissed at himself, no one else.

4. If his knee was so messed up like he said it was, the team is right to go slow. Did he learn nothing from supposedly coming back too early last season?

14. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Nope, no way. We don't want him and his drama.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Could you give some link to the actual trade that McGrady supposedly squashed?

16. 9495

9495 Member

I can understand the "working him in slowly" part. But people here are saying not to play him at all because he ruins the chemistry...
    Well, making adjustments for available personnel is always part of the game. If Adelman doesn't know how to take advantage of T-mac's talent, he is not a good coach.
    The team is weighing the balance between short term success vs. long term benefits. T-mac is feeling insecure right now - he may sense that he is not in Houston's future plans.
    From the team's perspective, if he is in the future plans, there is no need to rush him back, just for precaustions. If he is not in the plan, there is really no need to play him. So I think management has been acting appropriatedly so far.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Are these same doctors that cleared him to play with his bum shoulder, saying surgery could wait until the end of the season , then changed their minds and wanted surgery immediately? What if the Rockets started T-Mac last month and they changed their minds again? Do we let them go with "Oops, we did it again"?

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

what about that chris bosh trade to golden state exclusive story that never happened? :rolleyes: how reiable was that story?!! :rolleyes:

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

He's not getting screwed over. Remember, he passed every test and got cleared to play last season. But, according to T-Mac ,the doctors and the tests were wrong, so he had to "shut it down" for ten months. T-Mac taught us not to blindly trust the tests and the doctors when it comes to his knee.

Further, even if his knee is perfectly great now, T-Mac is no different from a hundred other players wanting playing time. He has to fit the team's present needs. He's getting paid $23 million and throwing a fit for having to watch Rox games from the best seat in the house. Do you honestly think that if T-Mac was looking like D-Wade on the practice court, they would be holding him out of games?

20. 9495

9495 Member

True.