1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo] McGrady and Adelman in heated argument

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by keez857, Nov 20, 2009.

1. cavevato

cavevato Member

:p What does a cartoon of Usher wearing Ariza's jersey (with a combover) have to do with anything? :p

2. ibm

ibm Member

i can't offer a lot of arguments to your post, because you do have a point.

but if you refuse to admit there is a difference b/w players' behaviors and characters, such as mgrady's and yao's, you're either lying or are blind.

i know for me, demeanors do matter. if affects, sometimes even determines if i like a player (or even a team). i know it matters to a lot of other fans, too.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Member

I do agree with you for the most part. I guess to me, McGrady's actions are petty, and I just don't think much of them one way or the other. They have angered me much less than a good majority of the active posters here.

Yao is just a very likeable person. As you are saying, it's most likely the reason he doesn't get as much detest from everyone, although he does get some still.

I'm more concerned about how McGrady will play when/if he comes back, and what happens with the team from that point on. If he comes back and wins, all the drama is an even more distant memory. If he jacks things up, I'll be the first to say, "you crazy guys were right the whole time!"

Yao's return seems so far away that I don't even think about it with this season just being underway.

4. aghast

aghast Member

This seems entirely reasonable.

However, if he is indeed guaranteed a thumbs up with the MRI, a rational person (having in some manner already agreed to, at least somewhat quietly, sit out 41 straight games to suit management) wouldn't balk at waiting an extra week to take the court. The "we have no set timeline" company line is either a dodge to the insurance underwriters to keep his policy redeemable, or a dodge to McGrady in his efforts to play.

There are serious trust issues involved. Or, perhaps because the Rockets are playing moderately well without him, McGrady has reason to believe that the playing time carrot will continue to be pushed further and further back, in a manner which actually could impact his ability to prolong his career beyond this season.

When healthy, Tracy McGrady = one of the ten best players of the last decade.
    When healthy, Von Wafer = a borderline NBA player.
    When healthy, me = an out-of-shape loudmouth with a weak left hand, and an easily-countered spin move.

Every Rockets game I go to, I scream my head off at Adelman to put me in, and let me be the "Kobe-Befuddler" (TM, me). For some reason, my chants fall on deaf ears. Apparently, talent level actually plays a role in such decisions, and considerations for ability to actually help the team win play a factor.

Why do you keep bringing up Wafer in this discussion?

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

I thought Wafer could have been a better than average player given playing time and a better attitude. But that is mostly just ignorance on his part. As for Tracy, he was the sole reason this team even got to 7 games in all 2 out of the 3 series. Game 2 in Dallas. I dont want to go to war with Yao Ming only fans, but his lack of consistent play in the playoffs in the Dallas and the first Utah series cost us the first round win. I tend to give a pass to the guy who put up 25+ a night and noticeably raised his game to the next level over the guy who put up 25 one night and 12 the next. The Mcgrady hate is ridiculous.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They're about to go Around the Horn on this topic

HOOORRRRNNNN

I love that show

7. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

This is like the Kobe situation when he demanded out. Mcgrady just wants help on this team.

8. Yak

Yak Member

I just heard Adrian call in on Carl Duke's show, but unfortunately it was as he was hanging up.

Does anyone know if he said anything we didn't already know?

9. Pocket Rockets

So they are good enough to get home court advantage but not good enough to win the series?

10. PASTORofMUPPETS

I totally agree. There is nothing to gain from the Rockets perspective in playing him. They are developing talent this year to get ready for 2010-2011.

On the other hand, if they don't play him, they make their insurance money for every game he misses.

Playing Mac (if he comes back healthy) will only increase Mac's value.

11. PeppermintCandy

This is from today's Chronicle:
    An indirect refute of Yahoo's report about having to miss 41 days.

Um, so who should be believed? Yahoo or Chron? Or neither?

12. worzel gummidge

Chron are saying the Rockets have been collecting insurance money since last season.

Yahoo are saying after 41 days, McGrady's insurance will not reset if he re-injures himself. If McGrady goes down again there is no waiting period. They collect again instantly.

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

This sounds like an Alex Rodriguez type story with McGrady. We think he is not a team player and think players like Cody Ransom can replace them. Yanks go 13-15, A-Rod comes back and leads them to the championship.

14. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Propping up T-Mac again, come up with new material if you are going to defend T-Mac all day. When T-Mac leaves, are you still going to stay here? Just out of curiosity.

15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Another sign that McGrady is not a team guy, if the team wants to save some money, let them, it's better for him.

16. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

They would of swept the Blazers with McGrady.

17. PeppermintCandy

I'm still confused. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but Yahoo makes it sound like the Rockets get reimbursed for everything after 41 missed games. Unlike the Chron, they don't mention that the Rockets get reimbursed for those 41 games.Or is that supposed to be implied?

Here's the Yahoo passage:
    It may seem like I'm nitpicking but the difference seems to allow for two divergent explanations regarding the Rockets' intentions.

18. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

LOL, I don't think you have answered my other question in the other thread. Exposed! Btw, you are ignored.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The Rockets season started on 10/19. Tracy wants to return on 11/18, a day before his check for the first month of the NBA season is distributed.

Why does Tracy care who pays his salary? Someone is manipulating him over money.

20. worzel gummidge

I was thinking there might be two. Insurance from outside the league and the TTD.

I'm guessing their collecting from their own insurance but the NBA's safeguards them if T-Mac re-injures himself. It makes him a more valuable trade piece as he's now guaranteed to collect money if he isn't able to play.