1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] How David Stern destroyed the Lakers with the Chris Paul trade veto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Jul 13, 2013.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I can't remember what(if anything) I posted at the time. But I was thrilled when that trade was killed since I hated the deal and was firmly on the tanking bandwagon post-Yao injury and pre-Harden. What I did not like was the way David Stern interjected himself into it. Hopefully we never see anything like that again, regardless of the fact that it ended up paying huge dividends for the Rockets.

2. MONON

MONON Member

I was one of those pissed at the veto, but I wouldn't call it a knee jerk reaction. We were chasing our 1st star player in Pau with the prospect of Nene coming shortly. Now hindsight is 100%. Injuries to both Nene & Pau ruined the season for them and we were able to get both Harden & Howard anyway. So yes the vast majority of us are ecstatic, but if this doesn't work out, you'll be calling our present joy a knee jerk reaction also.

3. gambingo

gambingo Member

Breaking news: Massive flooding in Los Angeles due to Lakers fans' tears.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Harden's been doing this in OKC for his first three years. Just in limited spurts because he was a sixth man. Definitely not a one-hit wonder. Lin on the other hand... Although I'll say Lin is plagued by inconsistency in playing. Maybe one more year will turn him into a consistent NBA starter, who knows.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Cry me a river

6. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Stern delivered for us in a BIG way. We just now are realizing it :cool:

7. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

according to mike dunleavy sr, the ownership group that was looking to buy the hornets from the league (i assume benson) would not be buying if that trade went through. maybe stern would have just let the lakers make out like bandits if it was up to him.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I now love stern

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Would Kobe have blown out his Achilles if Stern hadn't vetoed?

Would Dwight have stayed had Kobe not blown his Achilles?

Would the Lakers have even been able to trade for Dwight given all the assets they lost in the Paul trade ASIDE from Andrew Bynum?

These questions are all stupid. I don't understand how anyone can give David Stern credit for ALL the events in the world that happened after he vetoed the trade. Let's give David Stern credit for the revolution in Egypt while we're at it.

Here's what we know, and this is the truth. OUR GM found a way to get James Harden from a team that undervalued him. OUR GM drafted Chandler Parsons. OUR GM got Omer Asik. And OUR GM found a way to tailor the ENTIRE ORGANIZATION from top to bottom to best accommodate another superstar like Dwight Howard and convince him to leave the Lakers, something that has never happened before, to join our team in free agency.

Like Phil Jackson said, give the Rockets some ****ing credit. And give Morey credit, obviously.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wasn't keen on the idea of having Gasol wear our uniform, nor do I think Gasol/Nene duo would make us a contender. However what pissed me off was the fact that stern can veto a trade for no apparent reason at all. Just because he didn't like it.

I'm glad he **** blocked CP3 to the Lakers, but I still very much hate stern. Much more than I hate white.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not sure how Stern played a role but the Lakers would probably be better off long-term with the other Gasol too.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    It's like the alternate 1985. I'm glad we don't have to get the sports almanac from Biffstern.

13. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Bias is strong. I remember when some clutchfans were furious with Stern over this, and now they all love him.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Typical of you: "Now they all love him". :rolleyes:

Stern should have left 5-10 years ago but I'm very glad his meddling ended up puncturing the Lakers and benefiting the Rockets.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its backhanded love. Abuse of authority worked out, but doesnt mean its right.

It shows that its about the owners in the end after all. Its the owners who elect Stern every year, to make conditions favorable to their bottom line much as possible.

Stern favors the Kings staying in Sacramento, because the owners like the precedent of taxing the hell out their own cities for stadium upgrades so it doesnt come out their own pocket. If Sacramento maybe added too much players to their payroll and it affected selling of the team, I'm sure he'da wanted some "basketball reasons" used against that too. Since the league owned N.O. at the time, it enabled that direct executive decision

16. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Thanks Stern

17. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Pretty sure all those years of officials being a part of the Purple and Gold should ease the 1 bad thing Stern did against the Lakers.

18. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I was 1 that hated the ban.

I still think a healthy Pau/Nene would've been a pretty solid 2-7 footer punch.

There is no way in my wildest dreams that I thought Morey could get Harden and Dwight in just 2 years after that.

Rockets fans at the time had legit beef with Stern, that faded away cuz of Morey magic.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

chris Paul would've left too. 2 ball dominant players is no bueno.

20. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Also saved Morey as well.

Gasol on the Rockets would be such a joke, would've been without Harden/Howard.