1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Hornets possibly deal Collison in offseason?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ASidd_1990, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

HTML:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer031910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

That a pretty good package considering the coming lockout and team probably looking to cut payroll for 2011. It will be interesting to see what they get.

Why not keep Collinson and trade Chris Paul?

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Too small a sample size for Collison to be anything but a sweetener in Peja's expiring contract. I remember the hotshot pg in Milwaukee, some guys were talking about he was better than Brooks when he had that 20 assist game and how he will tear the league up when he signed in Minny.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think they'll have an easier time moving a Collison/Peja ($16.5M) package than a Paul/Peja package ($30M).

That said, I think both packages will be put out there. I agree that a franchise drowning in red ink should push the second trade, especially to a jilted team that clears cap room but can't draw FA interest this summer.

The Timberwolves, for example, could send over a massive TE (~ $20M under the cap and will be lucky if anyone comes to visit) and pick to take those two. Toss in Gomes and Flynn (or Sessions) to make sure the money works out.

Timberwolves instantly become respectable with a Paul-Jefferson-Love combination. New Orleans gets significant cap relief and isn't hampered too badly from a competitive standpoint (thanks to PG depth).

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Without Chris Paul, the Hornets become irrelevant. Packaging Collison with Peja's contract makes a lot of sense.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I agree, but this is still George Shinn we're talking about. The guy that wouldn't pay to keep the Larry Johnson - Alonzo Mourning combination, and then continued to cycle through guys (Glen Rice, Eddie Jones, Vlade) anytime they were up for a new deal.

In the Hornets franchise history, they've NEVER kept a guy around for more than half his career. The organization is drowning in debt and can't bring in enough revenue to break even. They're borrowing money from the NBA, and I see no way for them to pay it off.

They've got plenty of dead weight they need to move including Posey at $6.5M, Peterson at $6.5M, and I don't even think they'd turn down a cap deal to shed Okafor and his $11M. This is a team in dire straits, and I wouldn't be shocked to see them fire sale like the Nets did the last couple years or the Wizards did this year.

A third of the league will happily sell off everyone ahead of the coming lockout, banking on the new CBA to allow them to build a roster on better financial terms. But if you keep a max guy, you're stuck with him.

7. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

thats dumb because collison is an amazing backup and a paul and collison combo is championship type.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

How is it dumb to try and get something for a player that is too talented to come off of the bench.

New Orleans did not make the playoffs this year and even if Paul didn't get hurt they probably still would have missed the playoffs. Trading Collison to help out Chris Paul in other areas the team is weak in is a smart move.

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

In the 64 games that Collison has played, half have been starting and half off of the bench. As a backup he's only averaging 4.5 PPG and 2 APG, while as a starter he's averaging 18 PPG and 9 APG. The man is too good to be a backup.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

shane+lowry and a pick for collison.

11. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

shane and a pick? that's way too much unless we're getting peja's expiring contract as well

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If I was the Hornets, I would keep him, he is pretty good PG considering coming off the bench, not to mention Paul's health has been shaky the last couple of years, he could be great backup if Paul goes down again next season.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

We don't have the minutes for Collison even if we trade Lowry. Collison needs to start somewhere, not come off the bench.

And don't say bench AB because while Collison is a starter, I'm not at all convinced that he is better than Brooks. Too small of a sample size to judge.

Collison doesn't make sense for us unless we trade Brooks somewhere else for a deal Morey can't resist. I don't think Morey will do that unless it is an amazing offer.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wow i dont like to say stuff like this often but

you are dumb please stop posting on the internet stuff like this

15. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

R U serious bro ?? :confused: :confused: