1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo: Francisco Garcia has been dangled in trade talks lately

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 27, 2014.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

didnt morey promise him 6 mil next year if he took 1 mil this year?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And Bima shuts another one down.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Player consent doesn't mean he can't be traded, just harder.

6. allaroundplayer

Is that true he has a player option & not team option for next season?????

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yeah, didn't see Garcia off all people getting "dangled".

It's not like Garcia has much value to begin with either.

Maybe Garcia wants more PT than he's been getting these last few games before sitting out?
    Morey looking to clear a roster spot or clear cap space for next year?

Yes.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/rockets.jsp

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

FanSided:

Garcia provides some solid veteran leadership in the locker room and can play adequate on-ball defense, however he’s aging and not nearly as effective a player as he was during his tenure with the Sacramento Kings.

Houston has expressed a desire to find a wing who can shoot the three-ball, something Garcia has struggled with this season.

The former Louisville Cardinal is only making $1.2 million this season and his player option bumps mildly to $1.3 for 2014-15, so acquiring him won’t set back any team financially.

It’s hard to imagine any team is in desperate need for a player like Garcia (despite the low salary) so a more likely scenario would be including Garcia in a multi-player deal, if such a move is out there.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

dunleavy for more bulls cap space to try to get melo this summer. Gibson next and anmesty boozer.

we dont know if garcia would agree to a trade.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Correct. But much, much harder. Has to be right fit for Garcia for him to agree to the deal. Doubt many scenarios present themselves that work out for all three parties.

Yes. Other than Dwight's player option, this is the only player option I can recall Morey ever handing out. However, given Garcia's willingness to agree in principle for the veteran's minimum immediately (rather than test the market for a somewhat larger payday after an impressive playoff showing) made the risk well worth it.

Worst case scenario, the Rockets are "stuck" with Garcia at the league minimum, in which case they can always trade him without his consent after July 1, when he will have already exercised his player option and is no longer a "One-Year Bird" player.

The Garcia (vet minimum) player option is a completely different matter from Morey's refusal to give Goran Dragic a player option on a lucrative four-year deal. Anyone attempting to compare the two should just stop.

11. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Lin + Garcia?

1 person likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Francisco Garcia and the term "Dangled" isn't one I'd be using.

I would assume they are looking for something to upgrade his role on the team... that's probably the catalyst for the activity people are hearing come from the Rockets camp. Doesn't mean they are expecting teams to be chomping at the bit to trade for him, or that Garcia would consent to the deal in any way shape or form.

More than likely this has to do with the rumors that the Rockets are going after Dunleavy Jr, and someone misinterpreted that the Rockets are shopping Garcia. Those are two things that should be considered separate transactions that folks might be coupling together which wouldn't be the case.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wish Garcia would consent to a trade.

He was red-hot in the playoffs, but maybe that was fool's gold, the "I'm worth that last year of my contract, don't cancel it" of a player.

Naturally McHale likes to ride the hot hand but the most Garcia has done this year is keep fouling three point shooters.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

i honestly dont see any teams trading for garcia that he would consent to. unless we effectively force his way out by saying--look...you wont get any PT here (which i doubt will be the case)

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Is anybody in the market for a dude who bricks 3's and not much else?

16. Play07

Play07 Member

rockets have some cash to send also, whatever is left of the 13-14 cash they sent to the 76ers to take white.

I remember this summer we were all super excited Garcia was coming back on a vet min contract. Things change I guess. But is I still appreciate what garcia gave us during the thunder series.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

He played such a vital role last season, but this year he can't hit the side of a barn. I know he has had nagging injuries like virtually everyone on the team, but he doesn't seem to improve.

18. basketballholic

Garcia would agree to a trade to a team that would cut him if he knew there was a third team that would sign him to another deal this season. Something like Garcia and second rounder to Philly, Ronnie Brewer and second rounder to Chicago. Dunleavy to Rox. Philly cuts Garcia. Chicago cuts Brewer and signs Garcia.

Garcia would likely agree to this sort of deal because....it's more moolah.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

what the hell does solid vet leadership in the locker room mean? because he has been in the league and im sure he is professional at the way he approaches things but he hasnt necessarily won anything to have that credence as somebody young players will look up to...

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It seems to me that the only way he would be in (any) demand is if a particular team believed he was the specific player able to help in a very specific play-off series.

If that were the case then the attempting to acquire team would have to give their assurances to him in a way to get Cisco to waive his rights.