1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] First person: It’s hard to be a fan of pro sports in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HRockets, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Tracey McGrady?

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hard being a fan of pro sports in Houston? Ridiculous! It's incredibly easy to be a pro sports fan in Houston. For example, I'm not beholden to arrive before the game actually begins. I can show up WHENEVER I WANT, and if the game gets boring, I can just leave early! No one bats an eye-- It's really nice.

Also, if the team is poised to have a crummy year, I don't have to pretend to care! I pity the poor saps in other cities who have to follow their teams religiously through tough times. If the 'Stros are sucking, I can simply ignore them until they're winning big again-- AND NO ONE WILL ASK ME HOW THEY'RE DOING, even if I'm wearing an Astros cap on game day. I don't even have to know who's on the team (and I don't)! Best of all, no one EXPECTS me to care. We get to celebrate the highs without experiencing the lows: This is Houston sports at its most genius. How could fans possibly have it easier than that?

Additionally, all of our venues are climate controlled. Those roofs stay closed, baby! We never have to deal with the sun, snow, or rain that the saps in other cities have to consider.

Even though it's so easy and comfortable to be a fan in Houston, we still like to whine about everything. Luckily, we've got FOUR local sports-talk radio stations willing to humor our every stupid idea! How's that for ease? The fine folks on both the AM and FM dial are ready and willing to indulge Houston fans in our favorite sport: b****ing.

Friends, I maintain that there is nowhere else this EASY to be a fan of pro sports.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

who does this other than cubs fans? and i'm not sure they really do that...they may go to wrigley more if they suck, but i doubt they're all staying up late and following the team playing at the dodgers if they suck.

this ****'s getting old.

4. msn

msn Member

stopped reading H-loser's post halfway through. The same drivel can be said of just about every town.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Haha, you guys are so serious. :)

BTW, I'm totally remembering that "every town" does this stuff the next time somebody complains about arriving late/casual fandom in Houston.

#25 Hippieloser, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. msn

msn Member

busted; guilty as charged. and over sports stuff, no less :eek:

Please do. I'll be right there with you. What a dumb thing to complain about.

7. lean

lean Member

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. +rep

1 person likes this.
  8. Marteen

Marteen Member

Apart from the ridiculous assumption that Jordan would have won those years, why isn't he making an article about Cleveland? They have it alot worse than this city. They're just making this city out like it's the laughing stock of the country or something.

Dude needs a reality check.

9. msn

msn Member

I hear Seattle is a *great* sports town right about now...

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Cleveland raises his hand.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Seattle reached the 2nd round of the NFL playoffs, upsetting the defending Super Bowl Champs. The Texans have never even been to the playoffs.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Again, Cleveland's down this year, but they had a nice run with LeBron.

...aaaaand they've got themselves a gem in Colt. :)

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

So the Lebron Cavs had a good run. They still came up short. I can promise you that Rocket fans would prefer making out of the first round and just missing the play-offs this year then go through what Cleveland had to go through with Lebron leaving and them failing miserably this year. At least the Rockets have titles.

Browns still suck even with Colt at the helm. Texans have a brighter future than them.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Since the Rockets loss to the Lakers in May of 2009, I don't think any town has had it worse than Houston except for maybe Cleveland or Detroit.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Stopped reading when I saw this at the top:

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Nice article for a high school or college newspaper.

17. msn

msn Member

No, even in high school or college accuracy is a must. And one-liners are for fifth-graders. Unless the guy is 10 years old, this is pure drivel of which he should be ashamed.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Maple Leaf fans.

You never hear about them because it's Canada, but that fanbase makes Sox and Cubbies look like fairweather phonies.

19. Rock It

Rock It Member

No mentions of the Dynamo at least they have won titles in the past decade.