1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo] Ex-Rocket accuses restaurant of discrimination

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 13, 2011.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I pray the lockout ends extremely soon.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. Chris Jent MVP

a few years ago i was looking for a part time job and i went to a mcdonalds near my neighborhood. the entire staff was black. i asked the manager (old black lady) or an application and she didn't even look me in the eye, jhust said "we're not hiring."

i said politely, "oh thats ok if you're not hiring right now, i can fill out the application and you can keep it on file just in case something opens up."

then she DID look me in the eye and said sternly, "I SAID WE'RE NOT HIRING" :eek:

she was probably a racist kunt. but oh well, it doesn't change my outlook on black people. some of the nicest people i have ever met have been black. i consider myself a colorblind kind of person, but the fact remains that any ethic group can be perpetrators of racism as well as the victim.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like a hard case to prove in court, but if their allegations are true about the history of that institution then I hope the repercussions incurred through public relations are enough to make other similar institutions think twice about maintaining similar practices.

Like it or not, when something is not the Green, it BECOMES an issue of black and white. Because where is the money at? The status quo will always work to maintain the status quo. I have no doubt in my mind that, after the restaurant's PR man threw that quote out there, that the restaurant has a tradition of racism even if they won't be pinned down for practicing racism during that particular incident.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I always thought Joe Barry Carroll was white. I wasn't alive back then, but I knew the name as a former Rocket. I guess in my mind he just mixed somewhere in with John Barry and Carroll Dawson and figured JBC was white like them.

This all reminds of the black midget scene from Knocked Up:
    <iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FmiVlyAfTnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. almightyvcp

almightyvcp New Member

Blacks are Still Treated Poorly/ Go Rockets

No establishment sould have rights to choose clients. That's the most stupid thing I ever herd. Anyone that thinks that is mindless and sick. It's bad enough blacks are at a disavantage today in every thing they do besides basketball, football and acting. Too many people are trying to rebirth restraints against blacks in order to destroy Blacks. The fact of life in every state & every country blacks are in poverty and nobody cares. I'm suppose to jump out of my seat, please let that be me. I would not have gave up my seat to nobody including the president. They would have to drag me out. The law suit would have been better if the police would have came. In Houston there is discrimination 247 and it makes no since for the government to allow people to progressively teach hate. Second to no one blacks truly earned rights to be here through slavery, military and death. Blacks should not be treated so poorly by nobody. All black people are not bad or cowards yet society treates blacks this way regardless of money and social status, Today people still plot and hate you even when you're sick and in pain.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So this happened in 2006. Why is JBC just now suing these guys?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'll ignore those nice names that you called me there.

Maybe these guys were right -- but maybe they were wrong. That's all I was saying. I'm truly sorry you seem to have a rough history with racism; stupid people come in all kinds. Maybe there are more stupid white people in the United States, because there are more white people in the United States.

Joking aside, I think your point of view is as bad as you think mine is. You seem to have some pent-up rage that prevents you from giving anyone the benefit of the doubt - THATs a world I don't want to live in.

Here's your worst statement:
    Here's the simple problem with your point of view: you think freedom of choice means inevitable hate. THAT is the sad point of view, my friend. I'm sorry, but if we all thought like you we would NEVER progress anywhere. Cheer up.

My original point was this: If I'm a restaurant owner and I don't like the way a guy looks at me, I should be able to throw him out of my establishment (without violence of course). I don't give a damn if he's black or white. I get the idea that you might argue in favor of a black guy going into a 7/11 with no shirt and no shoes - right past a sign that says "no shirt, no shoes, no service." I take issue with that philosophy.

#28 napalm06, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  9. MONON

MONON Member

Here's why! By playing the race card, they will get sympathy from the jurors, regardless of their race. By playing the sex card, they'll get snickered right out of the court room & into the next Miller Lite unmanley thing commercial.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well the point is that it shouldn't have been mandatory.

11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

He mad bro...

12. Chris Jent MVP

why don't you move to china, they have the style of government that really suits you.

13. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

So in the country you live in this is just fine?

[​IMG]

14. napalm06

(oops double post.)

#34 napalm06, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  15. napalm06

Yours and his posts are both ignorant. But by now we're getting way off track with the misdirection of "freedom of choice" vs "freedom is inherently racist". Such is the course of a D&D type discussion.

Also whoever wrote that sign is a dumbass for using an apostrophe. One of my pet peeves. :)

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Oh my, that's just too easy.

17. almightyvcp

almightyvcp New Member

Let the truth be told

I don't need a point of view from nobody. I speak facts from experience which can be proven easily. Most people hate truth because they been poorly taught and lied to. Truth is more valuable then money and that's why people hate it. Nothing about my post is ignorant. As a worthy man I live here like you and a you better believe I know what's going on in my environment. Black people died to get freedom here and that's a fact.
    Today too many people treat blacks as if they didn't exist. Pay attention,
    Many business do not greet blacks. Blacks still get shot at the drop of a dime.
    Prisons house more blacks then any college. In every state there is a Getto.
    It's almost next to impossible for many blacks to have piece of mind with good family values. Very few to no business is own by blacks. Blacks are always getting set up. TV too often expose blacks as being bad. Retail stores are quick to pin theft on Blacks. Many Night clubs don't allow blacks. Top shelf companies do not hire blacks, especially men. Museums own little to no black art. Too many TV shows are made with little to no blacks. Little to no opportunity presents it self to blacks besides the lottery, singing, sports and acting. See for your self. Now you have a real reason to be mad at me.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

All the owner has to do is bring out a framed picture of his black best friend and say,

"Hey y'all, it's alright. My best friend is black!"

19. almightyvcp

almightyvcp New Member

rules for all clients

Sorry, It's better to have rules for all clients to keep business running smoothly.

20. cuddie

cuddie Member

tl;dr version: Why do the man gotta keep a brotha down?!?