1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Does Arenas Need Help?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, Oct 7, 2010.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

At first I thought his recent behavior was just him being childish/putting on act, but now I'm not so sure.

--------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Gilbert-Arenas-darkness-needs-to-be-addressed;_ylt=AuVgkjKHYKfmaMJWTtAg4B85nYcB?urn=nba-275235

Gilbert Arenas' darkness needs to be addressed

By Kelly Dwyer

There is less here than meets the eye. Even if things are more serious than we've been led to believe.

If Gilbert Arenas(notes) is suffering with depression, than this is understandable. It is a valid concern in the wake of him essentially losing three years of his prime, being hit with felony charges earlier this year, and going from a hot-shot guard on one of his conference's better teams, to a curio on one of the league's worst teams...

The rest here.

--------------------------------------------------------

There was also an article in the WAPO from Wilbon saying how the Wizards need to get rid of him at all costs.

Arenas Needs a Change of Address

2. Francis 4 ever

maybe he should talk to ronron's psychologist

3. roksoer

roksoer Member

i think he'll have a very efficient season

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

A lot of folks that are overly extroverted in search of attention have serious self-esteem issues. And plenty of athletes struggle when their popularity wanes - they go from being a superstar starting in their formative years (as far back as Junior High) and then the party stops and they're alone.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure Gilbert said anything that abnormal, or bad, in the piece. He just made some, honestly very astute comments.

Perhaps Kelly is, rightly, noting that this is Gilbert, so with him something crazy is likely to happen. But all Gilbert did in his post game comments was point out the obvious.

I think if Gilbert can keep his head on straight, which can just mean being Robin and going out and doing his job, even if he does so without any feeling, then he can have a solid offensive season. Him and Wall playing together should really be a very scary offensive backcourt.

6. Raven

Raven Member

No, he needs attention, and he will do or say whatever he has to in order to get it, which is why he should have been traded or released during the off season.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Gilbert is pretty normal. Local DC people see him at the Chuck E Cheese with his kids and no entourage.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Umm..he has a fat contract that they still would have had to pay if released. His value cannot get any worse than what it was during the summer unless he commits another felony or something similar. The longer he stays with the team, the more he plays, the higher his trade value will get.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

if he performs well this season, all will be forgotten and his likeness will be a part of the marketing strategy for the Wizards.

but he has said himself he plans on moving on after his contract is over.

I think he knows he made a huge mistake but is not happy with this employer for the way they handled the situation.

I am not saying he is in the right, I am saying I understand why he is acting this way.

he made an embarrassment out of the organization and is currently the albatross on the team's neck.

but a solid season of basketball would change it all IMO

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whether he's honestly, actually, clinically depressed is unknown.

Maybe his former exuberance has hit the "mute" button too hard in the wake of the gun charges and the lost 3 years.

Sure, he s**t in his own bed, and now has to lie in it. It's understandable if he isn't doing backflips while playing Kevin Costner to John Wall's Tim Robbins.

In any case, you can bet that a meeting occurred between him/his agent and team ownership in which he was told, "I know we all want to move forward. Whether you want to play here or elsewhere, you need to play your best and show you're at or near former All Star status."

So, if he's depressed, he does need to take care of it.

If he's deliberately dampening down his public demeanor, he needs to find a happier medium.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

When an often-injured, attention loving, volume shooting, low efficiency guard grows a nasty beard it just means he will come back next year 100% and get the last laugh.

Signed,
    Tracy McGrady

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

he doesn't need to do anything, why should he fluctuate his personality to better suit the public? if he is depressed than he should take care of it for himself, not because i want to see a happier gilbert, but so gilbert can be happy. his job is to play basketball and uphold the standards of the organization and to perform on the court.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The article contains some misspellings and is not very well-written (same stuff gets repeated, etc.). I have seen better articles from Kelly.

15. Raven

Raven Member

The Wizards are stupid for keeping him around their newly minted franchise player. If eating his contract is what it takes to get him out of that locker room, so be it.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Just another Gilbert update:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/12/AR2010101206902.html?hpid=topnews

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My sister has the PhD in psychology, not me, but I don't think there is anything wrong with Gilbert. It's an act to draw attention. If Gilbert isn't putting on some kind of act, he isn't being himself. As the season goes on, he will morph closer to the former, humorous player everyone remembers or he will become increasingly overt about his desire to leave.

Ain't nothing clinically wrong with him.

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Continued here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=AuAjz9PGoLjzFKxAsfSm49M5nYcB?urn=nba-276636

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

The "Faked Injury" interview. If you ask me, he's just joking around.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X461T3yYZW4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X461T3yYZW4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

on a side note i was in a book store last week and was looking through a nba preview magazine. and most of the articles in were written by Kelly Dwyer
    you never know when you might run into something that ties into clutchfans.

and as for the thread. come on dude your a multi multi multi millionaire. your still in the nba, take advantage of the years you have left. geez

1 person likes this.