1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Yahoo]Changing diversity: Astros first Series team in half-century w/o black player

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SwoLy-D, Oct 26, 2005.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

You have to give black kids what they want. Or what all kids want. To get out of school.

MLB should work with inner city schools to get them to sign up. If you sign up for baseball you get out of last two periods of class each day for practice and you get free tickets to one major or minor league game.

The school would have incentive to do this as they can save on Physical ed expenses by handing off the the program to little league, ensures the kids stay out of trouble on weekends, keeps the kids in shape and active, gives them a reason to be in school if they like it. The schools would lose one hour of teaching each day during baseball season. But that can be compensated for by sending the baseball kids to baseball science class once a week. They won't even know they are learning until its its too late.

2. msn

msn Member

You know, that can be made into a workable solution. Have you talked to the RBI Foundation? I'm being serious; it's a little "pie-in-the-sky" as you describe it here, but the base idea has some serious merit IMO.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Ex-actly. Baseball is not being played in the inner city any more. Basketball is. That is why there is a shortage of black players in the Major Leagues.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

Reminds u of someone else :rolleyes:

5. droxford

droxford Member

I'm glad you posted this. It made me re-read the article with a different mindset.

I think the article could have been better written. Because it spends a lot of time throwing figures at the reader about how few 'black players' there are in baseball, the article seems to take an accusatory tone, and I think it throws off the message that Morgan is trying to convey.