1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That was a beautiful thing you did there. ;) It brings the tem down to 10-11, bu we only lose 2(Battier and Hayes, who can both be bought out) of our core players. How you were able to keep Martin and Brooks was masterful! :grin:

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well, it depends. If you don't think Melo is worthy a of the max contract he's making then its better to hitch your wagon to favors instead. Melo isn't a game changing force on the court, whether or not you think he's a max player he's also shown that he can't will a team to win by himself the way LBJ does...as shown by the Nuggets' playoff performance despite being one of the best teams in the L.

Favors on the other hand, can become that game changing force. Best part is you'll be paying him a fraction of what you're paying melo, and you don't have to put up with all the thug-related incidents Melo always gets into.

3. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think betting that a guy like Favors will turn out to be better than Melo is a bad gamble. Also, how can you say Melo isn't worth his max contract? I don't get it. He's a for sure #1 on the vast majority of teams in the NBA (basically any team other than Miami or LA at this point). Attitude isn't perfect. Sure, he's no Shane Battier, but he's no T.O. either.

And I disagree with this idea that he can't carry a team. Obviously he can't do it like Lebron or Kobe, but he can more so than a lot of borderline superstars in the league (your Rudy Gays and Joe Johnsons of the league. That Nuggets team isn't stacked, either. They aren't hurting for talent like the Cavs or Heat were, but they aren't stacked like the Heat or the Lakers are now either... not even close.

And more on the max contract thing. When you are talking about a #1 guy, you can afford to pay him more. Those guys don't destroy teams unless it's some drastic career ending injury. What kills teams salaries is when GMs start deciding to hand out MLE money to bench players that they think have potential.

4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

It amazes me when peep say a Rookie who hasn't played 1 NBA games is a force and will be better than player X.

Hey can you predict the lottery number for me?

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Once a team becomes good enough to roll into the top few spots in their conference, as Carmelo on this team would provide, it stops coming down to their %'s and becomes a battle of head to heads.

I think a lot of it then comes down to, would the loss of brooks against the lakers (their obvious weakness) make beating them impossible, although realistically its a 1, maybe 2 year question vs the upside he would bring against the heat, magic in the land beyond.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

It's okay though because if you say that melo sucks and is a trouble maker now, then you won't have to feel disappointed when the rockets don't get him.

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

An update of sorts.

The Nets are probably gonna wait till free agency to get Melo. I hope their plan backfires.

New York Post

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think you're drawing a conclusion that the report isn't suggesting. The Nets aren't pulling back from trade talk - it's saying that if the Nuggets continue to refuse Anthony trades, the Nets have a back up plan (cap space for his free agency).

9. worzel gummidge

More leverage for Melo's camp. Two destinations he can go to in free agency and leave the Nuggets with nothing.

10. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Geeze, will yall give up on this freakin post already? Everyday I see people posting more crap about this article. Wait til something new comes out.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am expressing more enthusiasm for our picks and current players. I hope Denver doesnt end up like Toronto and Cleveland. It sure looks like they are headed that way sometime soon. I really liked their rivalry.

12. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

why is this thread stickied still|?!?!?!?!?

13. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Maybe Clutch knows something you don't? :eek:

14. Raven

Raven Member

And the sky is blue.

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Yeah, way to state the obvious. :rolleyes:

Nuggets really need to trade him ASAP before they get LeBron'd.

Even if they start out strong, I still think Melo isn't re-signing with them.

Even though LeBron's team won 60 games back to back, he still bolted.

16. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think Lebron's situation was special. First, it was a "special" offseason. Second, the team he eventually ended up on will probably end up being better than the Cavs ever could have been.

Also... the teams that will have cap room this offseason aren't in a better situation to compete for a title. There's no team like Chicago that put themselves in position to sign a max FA, but already had a lower echelon playoff caliber team in place without said FA. Maybe New York is like that this year, but I don't see them winning more than 40 games this season. And because they mortgaged their future... they aren't going to be in position to acquire guys to put around any stars they sign.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would like to respectfully request that Mello's picture be removed from the first page: I am tired of looking at it. Who is with me? Replace with any of our current players. Then we can talk about about "anything else" with regard to the Rockets.

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Second.

19. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Normally this would be true, lol. This time... I don't think so. Unless he's spoken to Morey himself at this point.

20. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

i think this thread is still stickied to encourage everyone to post Melo discussion in here. Instead of a new thread for every little blurb with Rockets and Melo mentioned together...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.