1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think Carmelo would be the better fit for this team, although it obviously depends on who's going out.

Deron can be shut down at the end of a game by a Kobe/Wade/any good defensive wing, his advantage is only against smaller PGs. Opponents don't put bigger defenders on Deron the whole game because then they'll have a mismatch with the the Jazz SG on their PG. However, in crunch time, the Jazz don't have the time to switch gears and have to give the ball to their best clutch ballhandler, where as I said before Deron's effectiveness can be largely negated. Carmelo on the other hand is unguardable by anyone, anytime- too big for wings, too quick for forwards, too skilled for big wings and quick forwards.

We need a closer more than we need a guy to set up the offense and run pick and rolls.

2. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Jesus you post a lot.

Deron likely won't get traded considering that he's still under contract for the 2011-12 season unlike Melo.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I like it spelling it that way. I even googled it beforehand.

And it's relevant..not relevent

just to be clear :rolleyes:

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Touche'

DD

5. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Rockets get Melo & Iggy in 3 team blockbuster !!!

DEN & PHI get what they covet...salary freedom for 2011 & young talent !!!

http://games.espn.g o.com/nba/tradeMachi ne?tradeId=2dloxqx

Check this out !!!

6. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Rockets get Melo & Iggy in 3 team blockbuster !!!

DEN & PHI get what they covet...salary freedom for 2011 & young talent !!!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2dloxqx

This is CRAZY !!!... If any Rox fan says no to this you're insane. Hell, Morey should throw in any DRAFT pick we have for the next 2 years to a team who says no...

I'm a long time Rox fan and love what Battier, Chuck, Chase, and JT bring to our team, but for a chance to solidify our team for years to come, they gotta go !!!

Solid Defense w/ Major Scorers !!!

Brooks / Lowry / Smith
    Iggy / Martin / Lee
    Anthony / Meeks
    Scola / Anderson
    Yao / Miller

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You've posted your link three different times and it hasn't worked each time. Going off your roster list, you're proposing..

Battier/Budinger/Jeffries/Hill/Patterson/NY 2011/NY 2012

for Carmelo and Iguodala?

Keep dreaming.. and who the hell is Anderson? We traded David AndersEn to Toronto...

8. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

You spent your first 7 posts on a bogus made up trade scenario?

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

That guy needs to slowly walk away from the computer.

11. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

Lol. That's great.

This site is great.

Except for DD, Swoly, and Batman of course.

12. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

If I were the Nets, I wouldn't give up Favors for Melo. Too much uncertainty on both parts.

2 people like this.
  13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Obviously its just a matter of preference/opinion when determining the value of one player vs another, but I find your particular take preference a bit astonishing.

While I am intrigued by what little I know of DFavors, particular him having the same measurements as Dhoward, his athleticism, build, size, quickness and potential, I cant see how you'd prefer him over Carmelo. (Assuming of course Carmelo signs an extension for the Nets)

Factors which favors Derrick (ahem :grin:) are his youth, potential, relatively cheap contract, being on the rookie scale and elite position PF. However even if Favors projects to be a top 10 top 5 PF in the future, its far from a certainty. Not even the odds that he is the best PF/C in his own draft is great, let alone being a good player or elite player at his position. To be clear I dont think DFavors will be a bust or the next stromile swift, but nor do I think he'll be the next DHoward or TDuncan. I think he does have enormous potential due to his physical gifts and thus great value, but we all know talent and potential doesnt always equal greatness or even being good.

So how can one prefer such as "inknown" commodity to a top10 if not top 5 player right now. Lost in all the discussion of whether or not Carmelo is a superstar, build around worthy, elite or not, is that he is unquestionably a top 10 player in the NBA. Furthermore he is TOP 3 at his position in the ENTIRE league, behind Lebron and either in front or behind KDurant, depending on your preference. Despite my personal dislike of Melo, I have him ranked higher than Durant, due to playoff performance/achievements and the ability to be an exceptional defender, which he has shown in the playoffs, including guarding Kobe on numerous occasions and in the regular season against Lebron James. Once Durant starts leading his team to the playoffs year after year and perform better than he did against the Lakers, I'll likely move him up on my personal rankings.

Derrick Favors is a great prospect, someone I'd love to have on the Warriors or Rockets or some other teams I root for, but between the choice of him and Melo, its a no brainer.

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

With the way Eric Gordon is playing in on Team USA, I highly doubt even the Clippers trade him at this point. Cross of the Clippers in the Melo sweepstakes.

15. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

He's back from China, right?

16. realmustang

realmustang Member

And in the meantime some other team gets Melo before the season starts and the Knicks don't do as bad as some people think they will. Then what? Sit around and hope another player of Melo's caliber becomes available at the trade deadline and our Knicks picks don't look as valuable as they did at the beginning of the year. Bottom line is, if an all-star player is available, you go after him. You don't wait to see if you're draft picks are going to be good picks. Even if the Knicks pick turns out to be the number 2 pick, there's no guarantee that the player they draft will be as good as Melo. :rolleyes:

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Where in my post did I exactly say we shouldn't trade for Melo?

18. Vivid

Vivid Member

I'm telling you, best thing to do to appease both the pro-Melo and anti-Melo sides is to keep our assets , kick ass, and draft Melo in 2011 with the Knicks swapped pick. We get Melo and keep all of our young assets and draft picks. Plus we will still have Brooks and Martin.

19. realmustang

realmustang Member

"This is kind of why I want to hang on to the picks till December or January, to see how the Knicks do and just how available their picks will be." I never said you didn't want to trade for Melo. I'm responding to the above quote.

20. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

There you go, I was thinking out loud and entertaining the thought of getting a top rated prospect but whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.