1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Typo.

2. AXG

AXG Member

Gosh, either way I hope this Carmelo episode is over before pre-season starts.

3. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

THIS! Some people on this board can't seem to grasp this concept.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You have to answer that question BEFORE you make a trade.

Are we trying to win now, or are we rebuilding?

Both questions hinge on Yao, play through February and adjust your thinking with an informed decision rather than a guess as would be done now.

DD

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Man, it's not Melo, its the damn Nuggets! I don't know why they haven't dealt with us yet. We have everything that they could want.

Draft picks - NY 2012 pick (lottery potential) and our own 2011 picks.

Expiring contracts - Shane Battier and Jared Jeffries

Young talent - Budinger, Patterson, Hill and Taylor

Proven talent - Possibly Brooks or Martin.

We could take back Anderson or Smith as well. We could take back Billups as well.

Nuggets are just being d-bags. I hope Melo leaves them high and dry when he becomes a free agent.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

We win now, simple as that.

Scola and Yao are our best players when healthy, yet they are also our oldest. There is no guarantee our players will be any better than they already are now, and if Yao and Scola are gone, we have absolutely no big men superiority and presence.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Nuggets want to keep him first, then forced to trade him if there is no chance to keep him. As the best deal for nuggets, the nets deal should be better, but Melo has to agree it first. If Melo wants to win something, the rockets should give him a better chance.

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Just to get it out of the way becuase i just learned wat are YOF's. i am not one of those. I'm a rockets fan, but everything does depend on Yao. I have some questions for whoever wants to answer.
    If we do trade for Melo and Yao gets hurt, what happens than? Im assuming we lost some prospect players and the NY picks.
    Isn't it safer to go with the line up we have now and keep the Ny picks just "in-case" yao gets hurt so we can rebuild afterwards?
    I'm thinking that if we trade for Melo and Yao stays healthy we're legitimate contenders for the title. But if we stay with our current lineup were just barely in the discussion for the title but we have a chance to rebuild quicker than if we went with the trade.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ding ding ding !

The smart play is to wait and find out about the direction of your franchise BEFORE making a move..

DD

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

A_Sidd, maybe check back in two weeks as Marc Stein said. Nothing to see at the moment. Move along and don't come back in this thread for at least 2 weeks. Give it a rest. ;)

11. sabesque

sabesque Member

In your Yao injured scenario, the guestion is: Is it better to have an established superstar or roll the dice on the pick, who may or may not get to Melo's level?

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do you want to "rebuild" around the propsects and picks or around a 26-year-old Carmelo Anthony? It's not like Carmelo is some 30-year-old at the end of his career who will be useless in a year or two.

Morey went after Bosh with exactly the same risks about Yao, think about that. With or without Yao, I think Morey would rather have Carmelo or Bosh as a building block instead of some combo of Budinger/Brooks/Hill and random pick.

13. Vivid

Vivid Member

Forget trading our picks for Melo. We should keep our Knicks pick and draft Melo in the 2011 draft.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They have to be trying to win now because currently they have a win now team. ;)

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Ya i agree with you and I guess I didn't make my question clearer but what do we have leftover and what can we do to rebuild around Melo if yao is out?

16. c2u4erm

c2u4erm Member

I am probably not in the majority, but i think you wait and see how the knicks season is going and if they are doing awful hold on to the draft picks and use them to add to our team instead of breaking up part of our team to get someone we are not even sure can truly take us to the top. In my opinion again in the minority i think yao will have a better year not this year but the two following as he will slowly come back into form with that being said, wouldnt it be nice to try and keep our draft picks(although one thing i have not looked at is the depth and talent in upcoming drafts ) to try and find a kevin durant, or a derek rose type of player than can not only offer the benefits of being young but become an impact player from the get go? I mean morey is good at identifying talent, wouldnt it be better to let him for once have one of the first picks in the draft and add to this team with youth and possible superstar potential with a much more favorable contract? probably just me

17. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Lets say you wait out and Yao gets hurt again half way through season. Who the hell will want to come here then? No one. If Melo is supposedly interested and is willing to sign extension now then you have to do it, that is if the rumors are correct. If Yao is busted up then at least we have Melo and our core. We would still have a shot at getting more attention from other superstars if he is here next year and we wouldn't have to re-sign a hurt Yao hoping for another recovery.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Even if Yao isn't healthy, it's still true that Martin, Scola, and Battier aren't getting younger. THE TIME IS NOW!

End of story.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Battier isn't a long term part of the future. His contract is expiring.

That said, I agree that we are ready to make a push to win now, and the Knicks picks should be viewed as trade assets first and foremost.

I just don't necessarily agree that Melo is the right player to trade for. Depends on the price.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

By the way, when I say "win now" I mean over the next three years, not just this season. So no mid-thirties guys edging toward the cliff, please...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.