1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AXG

AXG Member

Finally, an update! If Melo wants to compete for a championship and be "the man" he should come to Houston.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sweeeeeeet.

The more times he says "Houston" the less it probably takes to get him in a trade.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, you can do that. It's informally known as an "extend-and-trade" deal.

As for your trade proposal, I think both teams might actually be more interested in swapping out Battier in exchange for a combination of Hayes, Johnson and Harris. The Rockets get to keep Battier as their locker room leader and defensive backup SF; while the Nuggets save an additional $10.76M in salary and tax with the switch.

1 person likes this.
  4. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Finally, why couldn't you just spare the arguing and do this from the beginning?

5. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

They don't have a GM?

Morey is going to clean up

6. albuster

albuster Member

First of all, wash your dirty mouth with Listerine, then learn your grammar, and then, how do you know that Brooks is the Rockets' best player anyway? And if Brooks is, indeed, the Rockets best player, then they are doomed.

7. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

If they traded those 3 instead of Battier, the Rockets come out huge winners in this deal. And I mean taking Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies to the Lakers huge.

8. TheGoldenGreek

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I really have to stop going on CF before bed...I'm not gonna get any rest tonight...

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That's true. I really don't like Martin in the SF spot, especially defensively. I admit that I haven't seen enough of Lee to make a judgment on whether or not he could play SF minutes defensively.

That team would have a whole lotta offense, but not much defense. It would all hinge on the Big Fella in the middle being able to make a difference defensively. Jordan Hill is our only other shot blocker, so we're still not going to necessarily match up well with the Laker Trees in the middle.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You cannot trade a trade exception. It is simply a "place-holder" into which the Rockets can fit one or more players making up to a combined $6.32M. For instance, if an over-the-cap team trades a $4.5M player to the Rockets without taking anything back, then a NEW $4.5M trade exception is generated from that trade for the other team. If the other team is under the cap, then (basically) no trade exception is generated.

People need to stop thinking of trade exceptions as "tradable commodities". They are not. They are simply a mechanism to eat additional salary, with strict limitations.

12. Convictedstupid

I ventured on to the Knicks and Nuggets forums to see if they're flipping out like I am and the only other board to post it so far is the RealGM Knicks section. The few people who have replied to it basically say how Woj hates the Knicks and how it is BS.

I love it.

13. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Ooooh, right. Not sure what I was thinking there..

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Anyone know what the Nuggets have as far as "bad contracts" (if Melo were to leave)?

I would think Birdman, but I am not sure. We could take him via the Ariza TPE instead of giving more talent as consideration and be in a better position to "go all in"

Our salary would be through the roof, but we would be unbelievably deep.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If Melo were to leave, Al Harrington would probably be considered a bad contract.

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

A bad contract that could not be traded until December 15.

And I actually think that Harrington would be a decent "place holder" for the Nuggets if they needed to transition from the Carmelo Era to a new era through rebuilding. Just a guy to score some points for a few years.

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

We have the young players and picks that should leave us with enough pieces to contend for a championship with Melo. Honestly though the reason I think why Melo wants to play here is Daryl Morey, he knows he can surround him with talent and his performance at the trade deadline proved just that.

1 person likes this.
  18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

For what it's worth, the Rockets most likely wouldn't even need to use the Ariza TPE to absorb Birdman's salary if both Battier and Jeffries are involved. For instance, a base package of Chase/Hill/Battier/Jeffries in exchange for Melo/Birdman works under the salary cap. Just barely. But it works.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Oh. My. God.

:grin:

20. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

damn im getting excited lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.