1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k-money

k-money Member

2. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^^

And you should change that ridiculous, long sig you shamelessly display.
    (Begging for rep with multiple lines of text and spoiler tags? Gross.)

3. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/c...um=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter#ixzz11O3s3y5D

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Looks like the Melo to Rox effort has been put on the backburner for now. I wonder if the de-stickying of this thread is a sign that some mod received some inside information to that effect.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no

I unstickied it as promised when you guys managed to not post in it for 24 hours.

now, just let it die for a while, if he was moving they would have done it already. I woudlnt be surprised if talks dont fire back up till Jan.(if then)

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14087362/nuggets-lack-of-sacrifice-hurting-potential-melo-trade

I don't think we're out of this thing yet.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I didn't even see Houston mentioned in that article.

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Basically what that article is stating is that the Nuggets still want to remain a playoff team after the Melo era.

If they want to part with Billups, then a package surrounding Aaron Brooks is getting sweeter and more attractive.

Also if they want to remain competitive, we could offer them probably the best SG that's reasonably attainable in Kevin Martin.

A Billups/Martin/Harrington/Martin/Nene lineup could still get the Nuggets into the playoffs.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

We all knew this thread couldn't die.

11. ILoveTheRockets

I'm tired of seeing every one speculating the Rockets would trade Kevin Martin for Melo. It make's no sense, you bring Melo to play on the side of martin... not for any other reason. Martin IS our Star along with Scola.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you have to trade talent to get talent.

i don't know if it will happen...but i'd trade lesser talent in K-Mart for greater talent in Carmelo every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Carmelo is a 2nd team All NBA type player. K-Mart is a borderline all star.

13. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I agree you have to give up something to get it and the fact that were bult that we still have courtney lee who is very serviceable makes it easier for us to rid of k-mart...

nonetheless, if carmelo knows anything abotu marketing he will goto the nets who will soon have the hottest new arena and acces to the biggest market in the NBA, they played worse than there talent last year and have as good as role players as you will see in devin harris, brook lopez, troy murphy, outlaw, terrence williams, morrow and a defensive winning coach in avery johnson, they just need a nucleus or a star to bring it together and whoever that star is will get all the credit to save that franchise and more glory to it.

that and the yao market with us are his best options

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This is just like the situation we had with Tmac. Both the Nuggets and their subsequent trading partner must be desperate enough to pull the trigger. Giving up Billups seems excessive at first, but with some foresight it makes sense (but not via trade). If Denver sends Anthony away chances are they won't renew Billups contract and will probably waive him next June. This is because Billups alone will not get them that much closer to a championship team. This will net them an overall savings of around $10 mil. The loss of both Anthony and Billups will defer Denver to a rebuild phase. I don't see a way or a reason Denver would keep Billups contract sans Anthony.

Houston is a great destination for Anthony because we have the picks that are perfect for a team in a rebuild state of mind. If a Brooks and Bud, or a Hill and Books combo were thrown in (as opposed to just fillers) the deal would be almost too much to pass up. The problem that we have right now is that Denver honestly thinks they can win something (albeit at best it would be a low seeded playoff spot). Denver needs to be far and away from playoff aspirations before waving the white flag and trading Anthony. At that point, Denver will realize the best course of action is to get rid of Anthony and Billups and start over. Billups waved will better fit the team than Billups traded. The reason is, because Denver (and most likely its trade partner) is over the cap Billups would come at a cost. Chances are a team would not send over expiring contracts in trade for Billups, they would send over longer term contracts. The last thing a rebuild team needs is weight. Denver would rather just waive Billups and save the money in his place.

Ultimately what is stopping Denver from trading Billups is not that they want to retain him on their roster (as the CBS article makes it seem), but because the trade of Billups really doesn't do anything special for them, in a way its almost two steps forward three steps back. What Denver needs is an overall feeling of hopelessness. Then and only then these two players are trade-able because Denver will have nothing to lose.

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

They want to remain competitive while also getting back young talent and picks?

How about a "Godfather" package of Martin + Jeffries + Hill + Battier for Carmelo + Smith + Anderson?

16. faraza84

faraza84 Member

man i was hoping he would be moved by training camp, and now preseason has started. If they dont trade him before the beginning of the season they are gonna get robbed on the deadline because they will take anything they can get rather than lose him for nothing.

17. worzel gummidge

http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...ut-a-quality-guard--Pistons-are-missing-point
    http://www.freep.com/article/201010...ports/Pistons-weird-roster-probably-wont-last

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.