1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amaru

amaru Member

60 + page thread here we come!!! :grin:

2. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

For some freaking reason, this picture just made me spit my coffee out.

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Some of you guys who are playing hard to get, not sure if you want Melo, are like a guy who all of a sudden has a major hot girl interested in him, and instead of appreciating his incredible fortune and loving her well, gets a big head, and wants to see if he can do better ... then ending up with nothing. Or like a guy in Vegas who gets a big score, dumping it all back into the game, hoping to make a bigger score, and leaving broke.

(shaking my head)

i think you have to make this deal, if its truly for real.

Just like TMac didn't bring us a championship, Melo might not either. But, if Morey is able to pull this off, we have better "assets," and a greater ability to get the next star, such as CP, who stood up at Melo's wedding, and stated they were going to go to NYC to go up against Miami. Maybe if Melo is here, he'll want to come here. But, whether he does or not, a star does attract another star.

Due to Yao's injuries, Houston has not been attracting the stars. But, if we had Melo, along with the solid cast and depth we have, AND if Yao's injuries finally stabilize, we are a great destination again, and capable of contending for a title either way. We'll be one of the top echelon of teams in the league.

Does Melo fit? I don't know ... maybe that can only be determined by playing, but we would have taken another step up in "assets" that are needed to build a contender, and that is what Morey has been working hard to position us with, so we have our best opportunity to win another championship.

#183 Sherlock, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    2 people like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Dude if Melo joins the Rockets we will be in the mix for the NBA Title...

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

That is an unfair statement if it relates to Bosh as he NEVER even hinted that he would pleased to play for the Rockets.

6. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

I think I just ejaculated a little...

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i know im in the minority here but i dont want to get rid of bud or battier (unless we're sure he will get bought out). i hope Morey is able to do this without getting rid of our starters, Cbud, and Battier.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am happy to roll with the team we have, but if Melo wants to come here, I could see Les and Morey wanting to make a splash and taking the shot at getting the brass ring.

If that is the case, Bud has to go, he would get zero playing time behind Melo, and would probably start or get more minutes in Denver.

I still want to see what this team can do, but gonna just have to wait and see what unfolds with the "melo" drama.

DD

9. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Maybe we throw in cash to buy out Shane, then sign him back like the Spurs did with Barry that year.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

11. Htown's2kFinest

yeah we need his leadership n defense. melo here, we need that glue guy.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

OK, so what would we have to give for Melo?

Correct me if I'm wrong about this but salaries traded needs to be within 125% of eachother? So if Melo signs this extension he will make around 21 next year, so we need to send 18.6

Shane 7.3
    Jeffries 6.9
    Bud .78
    = 15

Not sure how much picks are worth, but either a couple of those or Hill and a pick.

Is that about what we would have to give up?

13. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Glad to see youre on board. If Morey can manage this trade without giving up Martin or Brooks...WOW! Watch out fellas...this team is going to be nasty. :grin:

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Spot on... agree with everything here, Nike. Having Morey as the designer greatly enhances this thing, and throw in the fact that pairing up Carmelo and Yao (assuming health) boosts Houston's appeal on paper.

Miami has two megastars and a "star" post player and we can see how players are taking less to join them and every retired NBA player is begging for a spot on that roster. I remember when the Rockets got Barkley in '96 to add to Hakeem and Clyde, Kevin Willis jumped at the chance to join in (despite the fact he could have started elsewhere). Gary Payton considered a full MLE deal from Houston (but ultimately took $55+ million more to stay in Seattle). Eddie Johnson joined the Rockets when he was let go by the Pacers.

Bringing in Carmelo could put the Rockets back on that elite NBA location list. mikol13 <a href="/showthread.php?p=5528580#post5528580">threw out the name Chris Paul</a> in another thread, and though it may sound crazy, wouldn't he have to give Houston a glance next summer or in 2012 if they got one of his Olympics buddies? From the sound of it, Paul wants to be in the title hunt with these guys and could look to form a star trio with a wing and post player to rival the Heat's cast. I don't know if that kind of thinking will stay around for a long time, but it seems right now NBA stars are saying, "If you don't have Wonder twins or even triplets, you'll be on a couch in June."

Nothing to be excited about until there is, but if you put 'Melo with (again, a healthy) Yao, I have to think Houston would be mentioned in the same breath as Miami, Los Angeles and Boston -- the kind of status where you don't have to seek out role players... they come to you.

2 people like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I still have major doubts about fit, especially with Martin and Brooks etc...but if Morey goes and gets him....

Got to cheer on the men in red.

DD

16. acefan18

acefan18 Member

How am I supposed to work today? TOO FREAKING EXCITED :grin:

If necessary we might be able to involve the Hawks. They were wanting to move Horford back to his natural position, which led to speculation that Josh Smith might be moved. We could work a three-way deal that could send Smith to Denver, Melo to Houston, and Battier/Bud/Hill or Patterson/Picks distributed among the teams. Hey, that's how I got Melo on my Franchise in 2K10. ;)

Of course, that would only be necessary if we couldn't pry Melo away with our own goodies.

17. Danbury

Danbury Member

Wow. We're going here again. Bosh 2.0.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

There are no signs that anything is imminent. If anything, there's evidence that something might go down near the trade deadline in February, so unless you plan to be unproductive for 6 months...

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is pretty good news, but I don't see anything happening anytime soon...but if his wife wants to be in NY, he'll be in NY...period...

20. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Excellent posts, Clutch and NIKE. Really hoping this goes through. If Melo does somehow end up here, Houston will become a prime desitination for other top notch players *points at CP3*.

The next couple of weeks will be great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.