1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(YAHOO)Astros' Biggio is nearing baseball's gold standard

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by across110thstreet, Jul 3, 2006.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

sorry about the length, but it's great to see Houston's future HOF'er getting press like this...

Jeff Passan Column

2. trickywhiteguy

LOL i was about ready to make my first career thread this article, GOSH!!, lol j.k. but yeah i was about ready to post this but u beat me to it. Craig deserves this, Houston sports will be completly diffrent with out Bidge playen baseball. I hope that we can give him one of those Life Time Service agreements like Rogers and Nolans!!

I hope one day in a couple years i'll turn on the T.V. and see Biggio and Bagwell standing side by side throwing out the first pitch at the Stros game! and then Bidge could go stand on 3rd and Bags could drive him in like he has done so many times before!

Then later on that year i'll see Bidge and Bags (I hope but i doubt it) standing in front of the hall of fame, with there plaques in the background going into the Hall Of Fame!

Just writeing this post made me smile (so many good memories) :D

Wow that would be amazing! :eek: :) :)

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree. i've never seen the HOF...when Biggio gets inducted, I'll make the trip.

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Biggio = Mr. Astro

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MadMax - Cooperstown is something to behold indeed.Driving in you come out of the mountains and there it sits on a lake surrounded by a majestic range.This idylic setting is enhanced by the Norman Rockwell quality that strikes as you enter the town.Amidst all this sits Baseball Heaven.Words cannot describe the history,nostalgia,patriotism,and pride that washed over me my first time in.I will see you there as i wouldn't miss this for the world.

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I just hope the Stros don't let him go like Ryan or the Rockets like Hakeem. If any current player for a Houston team deserves to retire in a Houston jersey its Biggio.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Biggio's not going anywhere. He plays for cheap and still produces.

I can't wait to be at the game where he gets #3000.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Biggio is my favorite player of all time.

He is baseball.

9. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Biggio and Bagwell are guranteed locks for the HOF. And maybe one day if Billy Wagner gets in, it'll be in an Astros unifrom as well(96-03). But we'll see, the HOF isn't too kind to closers. And congrats to Billy The Kid on save 300!

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think we have to worry about what Cap Billy Wags will wear in Cooperstown.

Accourding to The baseball Almanac website, there are no relief pitchers in the Hall of Fame.

#10 Brando2101, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  11. trickywhiteguy

I think the only lock is Bidge, Bagwell to me is along shot, i and seriously doubt wags will get it!!

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Wow... Not even Dennis Eckersly?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Eckersly is in, but perhaps because he was a starter for the first part of his career, they don't consider him a relief pitcher. Bruce Sutter is a 2006 inductee. Rivera will get in.

14. CrazyJoeDavola

Eckersley was a starter for the first 10 or 11 years of his career, and I believe won close to 170 games during that span. I am sure that was a factor.

15. Plowman

Supporting Member

It's strange,but before I thought Bags would be the the lock
    with Biggio struggling to stay healthy and get 3000.Now,because of Bags breaking down and Biggio's resurgence,they might go in TOGETHER.How's that for poetic justice.

16. Plowman

Supporting Member

I see Bags getting in,but he's sure not a first ballot guy now.

17. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

They need to factor in that Jeff was hitting in the Astrodome (i.e where long, long flyballs go to die) during most of his prime years.

I think Bidge could have come closer to matching Ryno's power#'s if he had hit at Wrigley.

18. msn

msn Member

Over their careers, Bidge has more dingers than Ryno IIRC. I realize that's because his career is 3 or so years longer.

IMO Bidge is head and shoulders better than Ryno in every part of the game--I watched them both play a lot, and with the notable exception of his arm Bidge is superior.