1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y! Sports] Rockets debate Knicks, Bulls offers for T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...g=ys-mcgradyrockets021710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Houston Rockets continued to hold substantive talks with the New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls about exiled guard Tracy McGrady(notes), with sources close to the negotiations saying the Rockets had yet to finalize their decision.

The Bulls spent late Tuesday gathering information on McGrady, evidence they at least thought they remained in the bidding. Still, some league executives say they think the Rockets ultimately hope to strike a deal with the Knicks and are using the Bulls as leverage to get New York to firm up its offer.

As for McGrady’s wishes?

“I’m ready to play for whoever,” McGrady said in an email Tuesday night.

As Yahoo! Sports first reported on Monday, the framework of the deal between the Rockets and Knicks would have Houston sending McGrady, Brian Cook(notes) and Joey Dorsey(notes) to New York for guard Larry Hughes(notes), Jordan Hill(notes) and Jared Jeffries(notes). The two teams also would swap first-round picks in 2011 and the Knicks would send the Rockets their first-round selection in 2012.

In addition to persuading the Knicks to include Hill, the draft picks also have been haggling points. The Rockets have so far asked a hefty price for taking on the contract of Jeffries, who will make $6.9 million next season. Removing Jeffries – and Hill – from their payroll could allow the Knicks to try to sign two top-tier free agents this summer in a class that includes LeBron James(notes), Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes).

The Bulls’ package for McGrady includes Tyrus Thomas(notes), Brad Miller(notes) and either John Salmons(notes) or Kirk Hinrich(notes). Chicago has tried to attach Salmons to packages involving Thomas, which has tempered the demand for him.

The Spurs are still intrigued by Thomas. They’ve had talks about moving Antonio McDyess(notes) and the remaining $7.5 million on his contract after this season to open minutes and create flexibility to possibly re-sign Thomas in the summer. Having to also take on Salmons, however, would likely be a deal-breaker. The two teams talked on Tuesday, but Chicago wasn’t in position to make a deal with Thomas until resolving negotiations with the Rockets.

The Spurs’ best chance to move McDyess, should it become necessary, would be to the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets are interested in another big man for the playoffs, and McDyess has a history in Denver which would make him comfortable with the move.

The Nuggets have given up hope that they can acquire Thomas. Bulls general manager Gar Forman isn’t interested in expiring Denver contracts which won’t help them reach the playoffs, nor a draft pick that’ll likely be late in the draft. The Knicks still have interest with Thomas for Al Harrington(notes) but don’t have a draft pick to appease the Bulls.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

I rather have Salmons than Hinrich.

3. worzel gummidge

I'd rather the Rockets traded for the one who can be flipped to another team for who or whatever within the 48 hr window.

4. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Morey holds all the cards.

He's just sweating them out because he has what they want ($23M expiring contract) and they know he has nothing to lose because at worst, he accepts no offers and just lets T-Mac's contract expire.

Hopefully they get desperate.

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I'd rather have Brian Cook than LeBron James

6. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

Lets TMac expire is that worst case that is only better than getting Brand or Arenas contract... :(

7. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I thought we already passed the 48 hr window. :confused:

8. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

LOLOL

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

T-mac Was no dought one of the best player's of the decade he used to be my fav over Kobe or Labron, They both have their strength's and weeknisses. Kobe Great out side shooter but kinda lack's the strangth to crash the bord's at all time's Labron Man child own's the paint King james but his out side shooting need a little more focus. T-Mac he USED to be able to do both but age annnd Injery can catch you when you least expect it. If you agree then were good if not i don't really care haha.

10. slickrick

slickrick Member

Not at all thrilled with the offer from Chicago,we are going nowhere this season and I doubt it helps much next season.I'd rather take the NY picks and Hill

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This.

Ricky Ricky Ricky can't you see, some how your words just hypnotize me

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Tyrus Thomas and Brad Miller are an awesome pick up. Del Negro can't coach that team. The stats of the players on that team are heavily deflated. If some of their talent was brought here we could have a team that makes some real noise.

Hill is also a great talent. He's a nice guy too. I think he would fit well with our offense. At the end of the day it's that damn Jefferies contract that bothers me. I think the New York deal is a better deal, but with a Jefferies contract in hand we pretty much kill any room to grow. It's like Brian Cook all over again. At least with Salmons or Heinrich we get some kind of offense. I feel like a Jefferies contract would be like bringing Moochie Norris back.

All in all, both deals are really nice and to be fair, anyone we bring in will most likely fit with Yao. I just secretly hoping we can get a Hill/CBud combo going.

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Funny how people think the Knicks deal is better. The Bulls are adding pick(s) as well and their 3 players at least can play. Jeffries, Hill and Hughes are all busts. Hill has potential but so does Thomas. Hughes and Jeffries will not get any time on the court, Miller would start and Salmons / Hinrich might see some minutes. For all you guys complaining that Morey wasn't making a deal, you should take a look in the mirror if you think NY is the way to go.

If the NY deal goes down, which is a bad trade all way, we'll talk again in a year or two when Hill is a bust and I'm going to be the guy saying: I told you so. You get what you deserve, so maybe the Rockets' fans deserve three bad players. Stupid!!

14. AKVerse47

AKVerse47 Member

if the Bulls would throw in a 1st round pick I'm much rather take their offer. Salmons and Miller would it in well here IMO

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Agreed. You can't teach size.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hill hasn't even had a chance. Hill was a top top projected pick this year.

He playing behind the Knicks best player. Remember Kyle Lowry?

Jeffries does suck but you never know. Hughes? He's expiring so who cares.

this is the question you must ask.

Will the Chicago trade make us a contender?

If not then when waste our time when we could plan for the future.

17. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

I didn't know we labeled lottery picks busts, not even a year into their rookie year. Especially considering Hill didn't get much playing time. Yao looked like a bust his rookie year too.

The Knicks deal is better is because it gives the Rockets better footing to make deals in the future.

Teams would be interested in Landry, Scola, Shane, Ariza, Brooks, Lowry, Chase, Hill and the NYK draft picks. Young assets and draft picks.

Compared to the Bulls deal where nobody wants an over the hill Brad Miller in a sign and trade, or a John Salmons.

Tyrus Thomas is intriguing, but if the Rockets want to keep him, they'd have to offer him a 6.3M team tender. Doubt Morey wants to do that.

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

That's not the question, the question is: which team is offering the better players for now and the future + what is better for now and the future. In both cases the answer is BULLS !!

We can trade Thomas in the off-season or just let him walk so those millions we have to spend or get a nice player in return.
    Miller helps us now and next year in case he does well
    Salmons could help us now and expires so the money we also have to spend in the offseason

It's a no-brainer

19. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

I would do the Thomas/Hinrich/Miller deal in a heartbeat.

I am not that sold on Thomas. He reminds me too much of S.Swift and we remember how that worked out. Great ups and highlight moments but not refined on offense or defense. And I don't really see how he breaks into a rotation that includes Yoa/Scola/Landry/Hayes... unless we are letting some of them walk. So you in some ways you are trading the "asset" of McGrady for a fourth/fifth big man.

Similar questions about Hinrich. I will agree that Hinrich is having an off year... but he is an underrated point guard who can also has the strength to play the two. He gives us versatility on both offense and defense. While he is more similar to Lowry with his offense (minus the speed) than Brooks - he is a plus defender and rebounder. I like him as a part of our three guard rotation and think he could flourish under RA.

But I love Miller and think is just the type of backup big we need. Doesn't need touches. Average rebounder. But great in this offense. I can easily see him running the high post and feeding Landry and Scola on cuts to the post all day.

20. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Who said that Chicago was adding picks? If Chicago adds any picks then I'd be willing to take their offer over NY. However, I'm not sure why we care so much about Miller, Thomas, and Salmons helping this team now. If anything they'll get us into the first round and then we'll get bounced.

The real problem is that the future of this team is in flux. We're really one more Yao injury away from going into rebuilding mode. Neither of these deals immediately make this team a contender even with a healthy Yao. So, the real question is what deal provides you enough assets to try and go after that first/second fiddle to couple with Yao for one final run, while still working towards the future?