1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y Sports Radio] Calvin Murphy: Jeremy Lin Needs The Ball In His Hands

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 25, 2013.

1. atwood

atwood Member

The whole coaching group is the biggest issue

2. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Reserved by Parsons :grin:

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Lin was a better player, he'd handle the ball more. Simple as that.

4. hltiki

hltiki Member

The point Murphy, and now almost everyone, is trying to make is that Lin would be a better player if he handled the ball more.

5. kcal

kcal Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly, and the team would be worse off. Do you want to do what's best for one individual player, or what's best for the team?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's official. Calvin Murphy is a LOF. He blames the coach for Lin's problems. And according to some posters, he's certainly not a true Rockets fan.

8. kcal

kcal Member

I diagree. Lin has done a SPECTACULAR job of handing the ball off to harden as quickly as possible and standing as far away from him as possible. Sometimes he just takes a seat on the bench without coach even telling him just to give harden more space. Great job coach!

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes but I love it even more when he decides to handle the ball, drives the lane, jumps in the air with no clue of what he plans on doing with the ball and turns it over. Every time I see him do that, I think "Man I want that guy handling the ball instead of arguably the best SG in the NBA"

10. PointGuardRocks

Without harden . Lin is a superstar. simple as that. spurs games.proved it. last time i checked he can handle the ball just fine. and don't give me last year Miami crap

11. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Lin needs to go, no use in beating around the bush about it. He was signed to be the point guard of a team that, after the JH trade, no longer exists.

Trying to change him into the point guard needed to compliment a Harden led team is useless. He deserves better and the Rockets deserve better.

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

Whose to say that Lin handling the ball will make the Rockets worse? I would argue, as would Murphy, that the team would play better if Lin had more opportunites to run the point. Yes, Harden's numbers may theoretically drop (though I don't believe this to be true) but perhaps the Rockets may begin to develop an actual halfcourt offensive system that involves the team.

the tiKi

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, fair enough, there is room in the world for every opinion no matter how far fetched.

14. kcal

kcal Member

I agree. NO ONE knows what to do in the houston offense. Except to stand around at the 3 point line. Given those options (a PF shooting 3's, Asik's inability to catch, or even make layups, TD's poor shooting, parsons and harden shooting 36 and 33% from 3's, I'm not sure any PG would know what to do, either.

15. PointGuardRocks

U got issues son.

16. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

How do you know the team would be worse off? The first two games when Lin was playing main PG handling the ball more, Harden got his records of 37 and 44 pts.

Don't sound as if Calvin Murphy doesn't know anything when he said the team needs to let Lin handle the ball more. Murphy watches every games and comments on each of them. He knows what the reasons we are losing. When he says: Lin needs to have ball in his hands, he means for the benefit of the whole team. It's not that Murphy were Lin's dad that only wants the best for Lin! :rolleyes:

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would say that the team would be worse, because putting the ball in the hands of an inferior ball handler usually doesn't work well. It would be like insisting Mario Chalmers run the offense instead of Lebron or Wade.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This describes Kevin Martin. You can claim that is a "traditional 2 guard." That's not true. That's one of the traditional 2 guards.

Popovich does not do this with Ginobody. Jackson did not do this with Jordan or Kobe; OKC did not do this with Harden. Wade won a championship playing completely different than Kevin Martin.

So why would you advocate Harden doing this now?

19. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Getting open like a receiver is supposed to?

20. hltiki

hltiki Member

It's faulty to cherry pick games as you did, just as it's fauly to cherry pick mistakes in which Lin makes just to prove a point. I've rewatched that Spurs game just as I've rewatched Gerald Lin's Youtube videos, and it really looked like Lin was making a bunch of spot up 3's, something he has been unable to do consistently and effectively this season; however, with that being said, he did a relatively higher amount of mid range J's during that game, some he made, and some he missed.

the tiKi