1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XXI Olympic Winter Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It is JUST hockey?!!?! You should be banned! :p

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's all about basketball, football and baseball to a lesser extent for me. I do love me some US futbol though!

3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I was just kidding, I didn't even watch the game until the third period onwards, plus the only hockey I do watch is during the olympics and sometimes the NHL playoffs due to friends/family. The only sport I can watch a full game of is Football (you may know it by "soccer", only WC & Euro) and basketball (during playoffs).....regular season games for most sports is a waste of time IMO.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I wish they had American Football in the Olympics in the Summer. We'll be dominating China in the Summer of 2012.... I'll be there first hand to watch em.

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Damn, the Russian's anthem is just kickass. You would think the Russian army would be charging in during the anthem.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I just think it's awesome to see the US doing so well in the past several Winter Olympics...considering before Salt Lake, the largest amount of medals they received was 12, and now they've garnered 37, it's pretty incredible. Although I wonder what the landscape will look like four years from now.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its an interesting coincidence that the 1980 Moscow Olympics followed the 1976 Montreal Olympics and now another Russian city is following a Canadian city.

I guess this time the US won't boycott over an invasion of Afghanistan.

8. sew

sew Member

standing ovation for the win earlier..

gotta love it :)

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Didn't most of the Russian players from the NHL not even play? There should be an asterisk next to Canada's victory. The argument can be made that Russia deserves the platinum medal, just like the gay ice skater.

Canada is just happy they have something to celebrate about for the first time in their lives.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In the end, the hockey game will be on the front page of most major newspapers, will headline ESPN, and will likely be the most memorable thing about this entire Olympics.

Curling will not be.

Hockey could only be helped by this. Maybe it doesn't make the NHL mainstream again enough to be on a major network full time, but it certainly didn't hurt.

11. sammy

Why the hate? Toronto was amazing when I visited and I've heard that Montreal & Vancouver are nice as well.

They have great bud & healthcare for all! :p

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Aww man...Neil Young...this is making me miss Conan lol.

And I love the simplicity of it...you don't have to put on some grand spectacle like China for the impact of the game to resonate with everyone.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

bitter guy you are Ronny.

But true, Russia was missing Kovalev and Frolov, the ABSOLUTE BEST RUSSIAN HOCKEY PLAYERS IN THE WORLD.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah I agree Toronto and Vancouver were amazing when I went. It's such a peaceful country, I wish I could go back.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

And now William Shatner, this is amazing!

16. sammy

Not into hockey so I've never heard of them. I'm assuming you were being sarcastic anyways.

They did have the 2 players I have heard of and that's Ovechkin & Malkin. It seems like that should have been enough to get Russia into the title game.

17. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Russia put out their top squad. A few good players were left off - most notably Kovalev - but were left off for attitude reasons, not because they were holding back.

If you want to count the number of all-stars left off, Canada would easily have the most. Our 2nd squad could have competed for the silver/bronze.

18. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Relax Canada. I'm just ribbing on you. Like how the good looking guys picked on the fat kids in high school. I always think of Canada as the lovable fat kid who gets stuffed in the locker. It's a nice, warm country though.

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Semin and Datsyuk.

Hands down the best five-forward combination in the tournament. On paper, that gives them incredible firepower. Their powerplay was supposed to be f***** ridiculous. This is honestly on par with Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Melo and Durant.

But they fell flat. Sometimes you gotta have talent...and heart.

That and they were missing Kovalev and Frolov ;)

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was genuinely rooting for Canada up until the few Canadians on the BBS started acting like douches. So, **** Canada!