1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XXI Olympic Winter Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You would think... but if you don't get quantifiable improved results like $$$, attendance, and ratings, then all it did was halt play and risk injury to your star players for 2 weeks.

As far as brooksball's point about how its more from the pressure of the players interest... I can buy that to some extent. But at the end of the day, we're talking about a league that cancelled an entire season and risked the end of their existence over $$$. I really don't think they were "caving" into the players' interest.

The NHL players in the Olympics is almost entirely about the $$$ and to boost interest in the sport.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Oh Canada!!!!

its fricken Rowdy here in Vancouver.. every car is honking

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

are the Canada fans here actually Canadian?? i didn't know we had that many Canadian members on the board. not saying it's a bad thing of course

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that seems to make it crazier to not root for your country.

hey, who are you rooting for in this huge international competition? your country, or your country's new archrival.

archrival of course.

uh, why?

well, one of their guys was drafted by the team of the city i live in.

weren't all 12 of our guys born in the country you live in?

whatever. go archrival!

i don't get it, but different strokes i suppose.

and i see those canadians are trying to play up the golds just like the chinese did in the summer olympics. once you get owned on your real goal, which even "own the podium" guy conceded defeat in a few days ago, you gotta have a fall back.

sucks that we lost but what a game. and what an overall olympics for team USA. i don't think anyone was planning on setting a new medal record coming into these games. really, the last 2 olympics have been great for us. hopefully no letdowns in the future.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

You're probably right. I have no doubt about where the interests of the relevant parties lie: the league, the owners, the players and most of the fans.

The thing is that cancelled season was horrible for the sport. The league doesn't want to see anything like that happen again. The NHL may not be able to survive another such incident.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. I believe there is another CBA negotiations coming up in a year or two. I imagine this topic will be part of those discussions. Do you know if it's something that gets negotiated or is it simply a decision the league can make without the input of the players union?

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Great game played by both teams, Ryan Miller is the MVP of the torny, he played amazing, however got to give Canada its credit due, they had the best team and the result shows it!

OH CA NA DA!!!! :grin:

Also, got to say the Olympics were very successful, other than the Luger incident everything went quite smoothly. The most watched winter Olympics ever!

7. sew

sew Member

man, 17th ave here in Calgary is goin nuts too.

8. BrooksBall

Well deserved celebration by you, sir.

Canada was incredible in this tournament. I'm still in shock at how they dismantled a supposed superpower in Russia. My only thought it that on top of having less talent, top to bottom, the Russian coaches and some of the KHL players were not familiar enough with the smaller ice. I'm not saying they would have won with different coaches and players, just that they might have at least looked like they deserved to be out there. :grin:

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Meh the whining by the NHL a flagging league hanging by a shoe string is laughable.

Take note of the World Cup in soccer, or the European Cup, clubs are always b****ing about their players playing, but the nationailism in those games helps their game out tremendously.

Same thing here.

DD

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tell that to Apolo Ohno. That guy didn't win a single Gold this Olympics yet is still hailed as one of the greatest Olympians.

11. BrooksBall

I am willing to bet my left nut that if the medal situation was reversed, he'd be celebrating that they won more total medals and he'd argue that gold isn't the only thing that matters.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm an American but I wish I was there.

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

YEAH DUDE! I'm downtown right now its ****ing crazy! when crosby scored the whole city started screaming. NUUUUUTS! I've been drunk since 11!

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Congratulations to Canada! I can't wait to get home and watch the game.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Uh I'm not sure what you are getting at. From what it seems like from Ohno and the US media pumping him up that appears to be what they are saying.

Consider on the NBC medal count the country with the most medals of any color is always listed

http://www.nbcolympics.com/

Looking at the medal standings it looks like the Canadians got 5 more golds than the US.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's actually a little later than most Canadians.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Maybe he meant 11AM EST so he started drinking at 8AM Vancouver time. ;)

18. BrooksBall

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

I was agreeing with you, saying that the poster you were responding to would have made the opposite argument if the medal situation was reversed between the US and Canada.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Another thing to consider that the greatest individual Olympians of this Olympics wasn't Lindsey Vonn, Apolo Ohno, or Shaun White but Simon Ammann (2 golds ski jumping) Maria Riesch (2 golds Alpine Skiing beating Vonn who didn't even finish those races), Petter Northug (2 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze CX Skiing), Wang Mang (3 golds Short Track) and Marit Bjorgen (3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze) CX Skiing). How much do you media attention do you think those guys are getting outside of their own country or afficianados of those sports?

If you're talking about only gold that matters outside of Ohno do you think most people can name another Short Track speedskater?

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I see. My bad I thought you were countering my point.