1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[X's & O's] Compilations of NBA offenses

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HMMMHMM, Mar 22, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I thought we might try out having a thread for this. People seem to like these compilations whenever I put them together, though I can't really tell if this just appeals to a certain group of people (i.e. the hardcores) or if this is something that might be of interest to the average fan as well. I guess we'll see how it goes. Tell me if you like it.

Starting out with today with the Spurs' "Motion Weak", which is a staple of the Spurs offense and in my opinion one of the best actions in the entire NBA. All the footage is from this season.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KOaC9gx7VTM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope you enjoyed watching. The whole thing ended up being a little longer than I originally had in mind, but I didn't want to cut out even more stuff than I already did. Until next time.

#1 HMMMHMM, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    10 people like this.
  2. mjhaver5

mjhaver5 Member

whats the sound track on this?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

awesome again, thx. I had to stop watching to post the Duncan 3 seconds in the second play. And he's complaining about a foul. haha

4. HMMMHMM

1st track: John Dahlbäck - Hustle Up
    2nd track: Michael Calfan - Resurrection (Axwell's Recut Club Version)

The latter apparently ends up blocking this video for people in Andorra, Austria, Germany, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Faroe Islands, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, New Caledonia, Reunion and Turkey, which is I just uploaded the same video with in-game commentary -- instead of music -- as well. Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CPuwIuYfLc

He ended up getting the foul call, too. :)

I'm glad you like it.

5. gah

gah Member

This is awesome. It would be even more awesome if you added your own commentary. Have you had any thoughts about it?

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I just wanna dance man.

7. HMMMHMM

Thanks.

What kind of commentary are you looking for? Do you want me to touch on the various options or just give my general thoughts towards the action?
    If you are referring to me doing a voice-over -- though it's something I've thought about and might consider doing at some point -- as is, it's not feasible. It'd just take up too much time, nevermind me not having the the necessary tools/software.

8. Fefo

Fefo Member

great stuff, thx man!

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Cool vid.

I think McHale filmed at the Minneapolis YMCA for his offensive playbook. That men's league inspired him. :)

10. LAC

LAC Member

Nice video
    The Spurs' offense has so much variety that I wonder if a video for the Rockets' offense would be as entertaining.

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

they run this alot with gary neal (#14?)??

12. gah

gah Member

Anything you feel like sharing, although anything more than your general thoughts sounds much more time-consuming.

13. VBG

VBG Member

Very cool to see the multiple options showing off the skills of different players. It shows how they are getting good post position and easy baskets for Timmeh.

The strength of Pop as a coach is he maximizes the easiest buckets that the players can get. And if that easy first option isn't there, a different option can be seen.

Fun to see how the post up quick hitter is the main option. But if it's guarded well because of help, you sacrifice positioning on the screen for the jumper. Fun stuff.

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Lol the EDM track was an interesting choice of accompaniment for the video. Great clip though as always. Much appreciated man, you should be getting a job in the NBA as a video coordinator.

Spurs motion offense so smooth.

15. HMMMHMM

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you guys like it. In anticipation of the Pacers game tomorrow, I'll upload some Pacers stuff either later today or some time tomorrow.

I honestly couldn't tell if the Spurs go to this proportional more with Neal in the game. They might, but it's not something stuck out to me.
    They certainly do use Neal differently than Paker or even DeColo, though. That's one of the things I like about this action: you can maximize different players' strengths.
    Pop gives players freedom within his offense, so when Neal feels his man isn't attached to him he'll release early on the cross screen -- if he even bothers setting a cross screen in the first place -- to get himself open a jumper up top off the down screen.

They Spurs actually have one set specifically for Neal in their playbook, which is a very basic floppy setting, where Neal has the option to wave off the guard/wing cross screen and just use the big on his side to create an angle. Not one of the Spurs' go-to sets though -- they usually go to this no more than 2-3 times a game, if at all.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhAFo75cDdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyway, as requested some more general thoughts on Motion Weak. There's just lots to like IMO.
    Screen are set with intent. Little, if any, wasted motion/movement. Ball and players are constantly moving. You can attack mismatches. You can maximize different players' strengths. You can plug in players with very different skill-sets and still run it effectively. The floor is well spaced at all times. You can set up screen&rolls from different angles. You can take advantage of guys overplaying or trying to deny. You have high percentage quick-hitter options to start the possession off with the offense never coming to a real stopping point, given that there are counters off counters off counters off the early options. As any offensive set/action your offense will benefit from having a stretch 4 on the floor, however by no means is it a requirement to run this effectively. Also, the floor balance tends to be good when shots go up.

So, yeah, Pop is a pretty good coach. :)

16. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Do one for the rockets

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Used to always watch these videos, very intriguing stuff, thanks op! Heres one I saw a while back on the Rockets offense from last season, all kinds of stuff on that channel worth checking out if your into that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/374x8V2rouo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

More commentary/clips on two Rocket's possible opponents. I would probably rather play the Spurs if I were the Rockets, Thunder is obviously a touch matchup but WB chunking for extended periods of times gives Harden & Co. a chance.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p5dvwNEcaMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Oh man, I'm glad I never started laughing because it would've been really hard for me to stop... Oh wait...

20. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Really helps to see lots of variations jammed together; I start to see patterns that ordinarily just slip by me unnoticed. Thanks for that.