1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Xbox 360 vs Xbox One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bag0b0y, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I know this is a no brainer for all you gamers out there but I'm in the market for an Xbox and am trying to decide if the Xbox One is worth getting over the 360.

First of all, I'm not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination and don't plan on getting into first-person type games. I haven't owned a console since Nintendo 64 (I take that back- I own a Wii but don't ever play it. My kids are the one who primarily play the games). I play the old Nintendo games from time to time on the PC when I get nostalgic.

Anyways, I wanted to get the Xbox with Kinect for the kids. My kids got to play with it at a friend's house and it seemed like a lot of fun. I have 3 kids, the oldest being 7. The Wii is fun but not anywhere near as fun as being able to just move around without holding a controller. Is the Xbox one worth the upgrade if all I'm going to be using it for is that? I've read up on both consoles but wanted to see how everyone's (especially those with little kids) experience on the 360 Kinect is or if the xbox one kinect is a vastly superior product worth upgrading to. Would love to hear the argument for both.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Xbox 360 bro. You can get it real cheap, you're not a hardcore gamer, and games can be found for dirt cheap prices online or at gamestop etc. It wont be the top of the line, but it's way better than n64 and wii. your kids are still too young to really enjoy the xbox one. That's just my 2 cents doe.

3. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Cool. So the Kinect 2 isn't really worth it then? Thanks!

4. LCAhmed

I didnt say all that. What I am saying is you can probably get a legit xbox 360 with kinect and games for under $200 (gotta look though) where as the xbox one by itself will be about $540 if you can find it anywhere. Then you gotta get games which are limited right now. Xbox 360 has TONS of kinect games. For your circumstances, it's probably the best move to go with the 360 and original kinect.

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

if you love your kids = xbox one
    if you hate your kids = xbox 360

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not sure what your price range is, but I think you'd probably enjoy just going all out for the Xbox One. Yes, it's definitely more expensive, but you'll get much more use out of it over the next decade or so (not sure how much you or your kids plan on playing it, but you'll just run out of options game and features wise if you roll with 360). You really can't go wrong though. I just think the investment of an Xbox One would give you more longevity with your purchase.

7. LCAhmed

His oldest kid is 7.... If he had older children, I would definitely say get the xbox one. But since his kids are still very young and he himself doesnt play hardcore gaming, It makes the most sense and is way more practical for him to get the xbox 360.

Infact, the xbox 360 is nowhere near being obsolete as the next gen systems have only been out a little over a week (ps4 date). The xbox 360 will still be relevant for the next year or two.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

i was just kidding brah, but most kids are already hardcore games nowadays at the age of 10. 3 years and that 360 would be obsolete. Might as well get the system to last them for the next 8 years or so

9. LCAhmed

That's true. but the price tag will for sure jump down in the next 2-3 years as well as provide a larger gaming library, most of which could be had at a used price tag when the 360 becomes obsolete. Why invest now if nobody will be utilizing the full fun factor in it. There's only like 2 or 3 kinect games out right now for the one.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No difference really. Two VCRs, one is just cheaper.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Think of it this way...

$100.....360 (used or Black Friday promotion)
    $50 .....Kinect (used/ebay/BF promo...OR the predicted firesale post Xmas/NY.)
    $100.....10+ AAA titles you can cherry pick used from ebay or even craigslist. Use the same ebay merchant, save a bit on shipping. Or discount search for clearance.
    $50 ......3 used (preferably handled) controllers. Get's cheaper post NY.
    +++Plus+++
    $417....Xbone+Kinect+Bundle Game 2 years from now. (reduction a guestimate from past generations)
    $100.....6 AAA titles from the time in between...even cheaper if used.
    $180.....3 Additional controllers

Total is 997 over a 3 year span (minus tax+inflation). Plus more games, more selection, and more options...i.e. the PS4 turns out to be the more superior system.

Xbone now...

$617.....Xbone/Kin+Controller+game bundle
    $180.....3 more controllers

Total is 797 now. You have a remaining break even balance of 200 bucks for games in that 3 year span. Of course, once you have a console in front of the tv room all the time, the kids will want more games.

The economical choice is pretty clear, and if you're lucky to have kids who whine about a system they've never played before as "not being new enough", I'd check out the friends they hang around with and dump the bundles of joy at their house. Once they get sick of their buddies' games they'll come back home. One major reason for the whining is that they'd generally conspire to trade the games around on top of the must own games, which is a pretty inefficient cost model that they don't have to understand...

Realistically speaking, older consoles are more family friendly as it's easier to research and find games that everyone can play, and when it moves to in-home multiplayer, the graphics don't matter as much.

#11 Invisible Fan, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

if you hate your kids = xbox whatever
    if you love your kids = quit pawning them off to a freaking game console and spend more quality time with them

fixed

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Jimmy Kimmel said it best. Maybe what this country needs to help kids be more fit is a P90Xbox

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wait until after Christmas and look for deals on Craigslist.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think XBox One for sure...absolutely no reason to get a 360, that would be a total waste of money...the 360 wont be much use for you in 3 years, and then youll have to get the XBox One at that point.

Get an XBox One and you'll be set for the next decade.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If you're actually being serious, I feel terrible for you and your children, if you have any.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

XB One will have a cycle of 10+ years, definitely the better investment if you're thinking long term.

18. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I think the Xbox One's capability of being a whole media station for the house provides a lot of benefit. And yes, 360 will slowly be wound down of all games and functions. However, you might want to wait till the Xbox One price drops some before buying it.

19. what

what Member

Microsoft and the entire gaming industry are selling you a supped up computer every couple of years and the rights to their games.

It's pretty staggering that kids stand in line for this. The is zero innovation.

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

For the reasons others have said, I think I'd recommend the 360. Plenty of games and content to enjoy (for cheap). If you end up really enjoying this experience, maybe upgrade to a Xbox One in a few years when the price has gone down (plus better games, better reliability, better OS/features/Kinect recognition, etc).

Since you haven't even really tried this out yet, don't think I'd really recommend dropping $500+ for the new console just yet.