1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XBMC questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Sep 28, 2014.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen in some threads that people use XBMC. I've just done some very preliminary research.

I'm intrigued but not sold.

I have some questions, and if anyone can help with general pros and cons, I'd be very grateful.

1. Are there boxes, or does it need to be hooked up to the TV with a computer? Is one way better than the other?

2. If there are televisions in two different rooms, will I need two computers or boxes?

3. It looks like I can watch HBO shows that I like such as Game of Thrones. Will I be able to to watch Tennis coverage that is offered on the Tennis channel?

4. Will I be able to watch basketball games even if I have to watch them after they've already aired?

5. Will the XBMC work with receiver set for dolby surround sound 5.1 or 7.1?

6. Will the HD content be in 1080P?

7. Will it integrate with the XBOne ?

8. Will I be able to watch old classic movies that I could currently see from Turner Classic Movies channel or the Encore Westerns channel?

9. What kind of computer/s would I need to run it?

10. What add-ons are needed and how much do they cost?

Any other pros/cons you would care to share would be very welcome.

I know it's a lot of questions. Feel free to answer as many or as few as are convenient for you.

Thanks so much!

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1. Are there boxes, or does it need to be hooked up to the TV with a computer? Is one way better than the other?

You can run it on anything. Best/most elegant solution is an Android Stick. It's a small computer that runs android and plugs directly into your HDMI port, just like a chromecast (but with way, way more utility). $40+

2. If there are televisions in two different rooms, will I need two computers or boxes?

One for each PC.

3. It looks like I can watch HBO shows that I like such as Game of Thrones. Will I be able to to watch Tennis coverage that is offered on the Tennis channel?

You can watch pretty much anything.

4. Will I be able to watch basketball games even if I have to watch them after they've already aired?

There's an XBMC plugin for Ballstreams, which is both live AND recorded

5. Will the XBMC work with receiver set for dolby surround sound 5.1 or 7.1?

Depends on the device you use and the encoding that the video is in. I would say in most cases, 5.1, yes.

6. Will the HD content be in 1080P?

Depends on the encoding.

7. Will it integrate with the XBOne ?

From what I've seen, no.

8. Will I be able to watch old classic movies that I could currently see from Turner Classic Movies channel or the Encore Westerns channel?

Again, probably.

9. What kind of computer/s would I need to run it?

See 1

10. What add-ons are needed and how much do they cost?

Addons are free. Some content, like ballstreams, requires a donation.

Any other pros/cons you would care to share would be very welcome.

Sometimes 'sources' are duds and you have to spend a minute sifting through them.

Amazing solution to an all-in-one streaming center. It's free- put it on your PC and play with it.

1 person likes this.
  3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Some clarification, you need an active (paid) ballstreams account to use any of their apps

The price is now $89.99 for the calendar year

1 person likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the help. I'm going to continue doing the research, but it seems like a great way to save money.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Plex is a good alternative to XBMC/Kodi

1 person likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not trying to be petulant here... I did point that out in my first post.