1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Xavier Su'a-Filo - Texans' second round (#33 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 9, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

156 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. NO

17 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. basketballholic

Is there any chance this guy moves to RT?

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

This was going away my favorite pick.

A great line can make a bad QB look good! Matt Schaub for example.....

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None. The Texans have a hole at a guard spot and he'll fill it nicely. They have two tackles from last year's draft that'll get a shot at RT

4. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Wanted Tuitt, but considering we moved up for NIX, it makes this an even better pick...great job with the picks we held onto (still think we could have loaded up in rounds 1,2,3 by moving down)

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Imagine if Quesenbury turns out to be good. We could've used him last year.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

The Tom Savage thread got me interested in advanced stats and I registered for a site that has a reputation of being pretty accurate in projecting players. In case anyone cares, here's their take on the best Guards in the 2014 NFL draft.

[​IMG]

Joel Bitonio went a couple of picks after the Texans selected Su'a-Filo, and Gabe Jackson went in the 3rd round to Oakland. However, when you look at the last rating, you can see why the Texans took him, and how much of a monster he is at blocking compared to the others. Arian Foster should be pretty happy about this draft.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

He's a beast, pulls around the corner looking for contact which is nice. If Quesenbury can do anything at RT the line should be improved.

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

This would be the case even without Su'a-File thanks to the subtraction of Newton. ;)

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

I watched some old film a couple of days ago. He's going to be great at pass protection, I think. He's a little on the weaker side, and he doesn't seem particularly mean, so I doubt he'll ever be a mauler in the run game, but he's very quick, and he seems to have put a whole lot of effort into his pass blocking technique - he stays very low with the legs, but doesn't bend over the torso or do anything else to hurt his balanced.

After watching, I'm really excited.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Confirming:Texans 2nd-round pick guard Xavier Su'a-Filo signs. All of the Texans draft picks R under contract. Su'a-Filo back at work today.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/478954075971522560">June 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bill O'Brien says Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks have the &quot;upper hand&quot; at guard because of their experience.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/478956971354103809">June 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#90 J.R., Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014