1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WWE vs NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Egghead, May 18, 2009.

1. Kam

Kam Member

i'm over 20 and i watch wrestling sometimes.

it's still real to me damnit!

2. Smokey

Smokey Member

I'm not gonna lie, if RAW gets moved to a parking lot in Denver, I'm gonna tune in to RAW just to see what's going on. I'm sure there will be others. I could care less about the Nuggets and Lakers or the WWE.

This is great publicity for the WWE.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

For IMF.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/other/story/1056877.html

Anyway, apparently other venues, including Madison Square Garden and the Staples Center, have solicited the WWE to move the event there on Monday night.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Those suckers in Denver.. they don't know how to appreciate a team.

I bet Houston's would be a lot different. It'd be like 80% for the Rockets..

5. airbulllard

airbulllard Member

cannonball, great job with your responses on this thread. i agree with your arguments completely.

smokey, i will definitely be tuning in to the beginning of RAW just to see what vince has up his sleeves. he's not one to lay down and take this quietly, as we've already seen from ESPN and etc. like the article stated, i remember when DX invaded WCW, and i'm hoping WWE does something fun towards the nuggets and making a fool out of this kroenke guy.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

you're right because the rockets sell out every night and have no empty seats in the lower bowl whatsoever and is soo loud that it makes peoples ears pop

7. airbulllard

airbulllard Member

i don't think that's the case in denver. and i don't think what you think would happen in houston would be the case either.

this poll shows the voters had sense, and that the poll is not just among people that are nuggets fans and will not have objectivity. the contract was in place long before. i hope if houston had this same problem, that houstonians would understand that this was the toyota center's fault and that the WWE has full rights to the venue that night.

8. Faos

Faos Member

9. The Summit

The Summit Member

This would certainly appear to contradict the part you bolded from the Miami Herald about the ratings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4180488

"Monday Night Raw draws almost 6 million viewers weekly, making it one of the top rated programs on cable television, Thomison said. Nielsen rated it eighth and ninth most popular cable television program for the week of May 11, while the NBA playoffs held the top seven spots."

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Ha.. Take that!

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

raw is only one once a week playoff games are on nearly everyday especially during the 1st round matchups.

would be interesting to see if any of those first 7 games were on monday the same night raw was on when they were against each other for the same type of demographic (men)

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

1st round is the 1st round... this WCF should have way more viewers than the 1st or 2nd rounds...

13. imatexan

imatexan Member

This is stupid I didnt know the WWE is still even around.
    It has gone so downhill, this is the best possible thing for the WWE because finally they get some publicity.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

You didn't even know they were still around but you know they've gone downhill?

FWIW, I hate the WWE but they do get plenty of publicity for a wrestling company.

15. imatexan

imatexan Member

Well obviously if I did not know it was around anymore it has gone downhill.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

do you think so?

i still believe that most of the NBA watchers who watched the first round would also watch the second round.

I doubt that the nuggets/lakers series would all of a sudden attract a whole new crowd of people

they have the nuggets and lakers fans watching and the NBA fan watching.

that same group of NBA fans would (and I assume this of course) have watched the first two rounds of basketball as well. Maybe not all the series but some of the more memorable ones (heat/hawks, bulls/celts) and as someone posted earlier RAW did beat out pretty handedly a bulls/celts game.

the NBA finals I could understand that some people who probably never watched a game this season would tune in to watch.

i think this year more than other years where everything is screaming "lakers cavs" finals that the W/ECF games are just going to get lower ratings unless one of the two teams (magic, nuggets) force a game 6 or 7

17. Kim

Kim Member

18. Ashes

Ashes Member

Since that's not biased!

You're making yourself look silly with all this anti-WWE crap you are spewing. We get it, you don't like their product.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Hey.. buddy... YOU'RE LATE. :rolleyes:

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

WWE moving Monday show from Denver to Los Angeles

Posted May 20 2009 7:07PM

(AP) -- World Wrestling Entertainment says it is moving its Monday night event to Los Angeles because of a conflict with the Pepsi Center in Denver.

The Nuggets are scheduled to host the Lakers on Monday in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals, but WWE had previously booked the arena for an episode of Monday Night Raw.

WWE chairman Vince McMahon said Staples Center called and offered use of its building and that his organization will return to Denver for an event at the Coliseum on Aug. 7.

McMahon criticized Kroenke Sports, which owns the Nuggets and Pepsi Center, for not being more helpful when the conflict arose over the weekend.

http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/05/20/nuggets.wwe.ap/index.html