1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WWE vs NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Egghead, May 18, 2009.

1. airbulllard

airbulllard Member

i'm surprised that vince is not fighting harder about this.. if he has the contract then he shouldn't be preempted. i'm not sure that this article is written with any more news except the assumption that has been there all along, which is that the nuggets are working with WWE to reschedule.

i don't think this is anything new, just spun to make it sound as though something else has gone down. obviously nothing has been settled since WWE still has no idea where to go...

2. professorjay

professorjay Member

Is the WWE getting any compensation for getting screwed? It doesn't seem like the WWE is going to sue or anything.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

I don't know where else they could have it in Denver. The U of Denver arena only holds 8,000. Moving it someplace like that, they'd definitely lose a whole bunch of money compared to if they had it in the Pepsi Center. If the WWE is force to relocate to a smaller venue, the Pepsi Center should most definitely be forced to cover the difference.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

forget the money issue i am sure the nuggets/nba/pepsi center will cover the difference

but what about the fans

going from 16-18k that the pepsi center holds down to 8k is terrible which fans get to attend and which doesnt? just refund everyone and resell tickets?

i say have the wwe thing at bronco stadium and allow more people to come in it will be interesting at least

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

If they can secure it and get temporary stands in there to square part of it off (like they do for the Final 4), then that would probably be the most ideal situation.

6. francis 4 prez

why does everyone assume the nba doesn't have a contract? i certainly don't know the specifics of the wwe contract or the nuggets/nba contract but i would guess every league makes their teams make their home venues available through the end of the playoffs (i think i saw the language one time) so that exactly such a conflict does not arise. since the nuggets will apparently be playing monday, i'm guessing the nba has a contract that supercede's the wwe's contract, as i doubt they could just arbitrarily overturn the wwe contract.

i would also guess the nuggets owner/pepsi center will have to come to a settlement of some sort with the wwe for screwing up their contract.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

According to the WWE, there was no clause that stated the event could be preempted due to the playoffs. The WWE booked the event last August and signed the contract in April. The Nuggets couldn't have reserved that specific date at that time because they'd have had no idea if they'd be playing or not. 5 other events have been booked for the Pepsi Center in May, but they didn't conflict with any games. It's not like arenas just stop booking for 2 1/2 months during the playoffs.

If the Rockets had made the finals, there would have been the potential of a conflicting date with a Yanni concert.

If the WWE signed a contract reserving it first and there's no provision in it that says they can be preempted, then you've got to side with them. Denver messed up but the WWE shouldn't have to pay the price for their mistake.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I read about this earlier today and I was lmao. I especially liked what Vince McMahon said about the Denver owner - something along the lines of "well, he didn't have much faith and confidence that his team was going to be good this year." :D :D

9. Smokey

Smokey Member

I would be shocked if the Pepsi Center's standard contract for events doesn't have an "out" clause for the Nuggets. If it doesn't and the Nuggets didn't inform the NBA that the venue had been booked, the WWE has legitimate beef. I think the Nuggets would host the game and the WWE would get compensated in that case.

I assume McNichols Sports Arena has been demolished. Maybe the WWE could hold RAW outdoors at the Broncos Stadium or move it to the CU campus in Boulder.

10. Kam

Kam Member

Couldn't they schedule this game around 1PM local time?
    Game would start at noon on the west coast coast, 3pm east coast?

The game should be over around 3:30/4:00. It may only give you three hours though cause Raw goes live at 9PM east coast, which is 7 pm Denver time.

How long does it take to clean up the arena? You have to move the court, and goals, and stuff, and then rearrange the chairs.

They don't need the Titantron, they can just use a curtain. Sure, it won't be the same, but you'll be in.

11. francis 4 prez

the nuggets joined the nba in the 70's. they've got them beat.

the nuggets very well may have been negligent and not put the out in this contract, but the NBA probably has an out in their contract with the nuggets, which is why i would guess stern was saying it's an issue between the nuggets and WWE, not the NBA and WWE.

stern said the nba doesn't lose "date smackdowns" so he must be pretty confident in their legal claim to a team's arena whenever they need it.

or he's going to have vince mcmahon killed if they don't back down. one or the other.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Well America has said it from ESPN's poll.. all 50 states would rather watch the Nuggets-Lakers game than WWE.. 79% to 21%.

13. lastmanstanding

What all people on a sports site decide to vote for a sports event? Shocking!
    Now let's ask this on a wrestling site. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Still more viewers would watch the NBA game than WWE.. so I don't know where your smart ass comment is going...

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

I think I'm going to start a poll in the GARM asking if people would rather watch a Rockets game or a Lakers game. I wonder who'll win?

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Another post about this... ugh... Why do I even bother posting such things... taking everything literal and serious.. :rolleyes:

17. lastmanstanding

Eh see my other ratings post -_- which shows more people watching WWE surprsingly.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Yeah, but maybe that was just that series. Compare game 1 of Nuggets and Lakers to that when the ratings come out tomorrow.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

but raw that night soundly thumped one of the games of the bulls/celtics series which was widely held as one of the best 7 game first round series ever. i mean it wasnt like those games werent heavily watched or anything in fact that was probably the most heavily viewed first round series this year.

face it asking espn about wanting to watch a nba playoff game or wrestling is just stupid plain stupid. everyone is going to vote for the playoff game in a landslide.

its like going to the RNC and asking who is planning to vote for Obama last year.

but in the end Obama won (not trying to get political here)

thats not true "america" thats just people who log onto espns website and vote

i bet if the wwe created the same "wrestlenation" poll the votes and percentages would have been flip flopped

face it wrestling is a ratings king on cable and has been for years running. any raw/ppv show tends to sell out very quickly regardless of what city they are in.

i still believe that while the avg citizen may prefer the nba game over a wwe match

the people who actually watch the events may actually be a lot closer to each other and possibly that the wwe has more viewership.

as i posted earlier there is a stigma attached to people who watch wrestling over the age of 16 I would say, this stops a lot of people who actually do watch it from admitting that they do. pulling over 3 million viewers a week does say something and from the link posted above they drew over 5 million that week. this was just one week the highest ever nba game on espn was the rockets game last week that was about 2 million more viewers...that was the highest ever! before that the record was around 6.6 i believe so just a little over a million.

i am not sure what the avg viewership per nba playoff game this off season is but i am willing to bet that its less than the share that WWE brings

1 person likes this.