1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WTH] Shoppers Step Over Stab Victim to Complete Purchase...Noone Calls 911

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jul 5, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

unbelievable :mad:

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/176623.html

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Monsignor: And I am reminded, on this holy day, of the sad story of Kitty Genovese. As you all may remember, a long time ago, almost thirty years ago, this poor soul cried out for help time and time again, but no person answered her calls. Though many saw, no one so much as called the police. They all just watched as Kitty was being stabbed to death in broad daylight. They watched as her assailant walked away. Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

unbelievable, who the hell does that? Damn some people tick me off.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

the law requires no duty to help people unless you are in special relationship with the victim. The employees, if they saw her, did have a duty. Regular shopers don't.

morally reprehensible, but no problems legally.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Did they think she was passed out? What the hell

6. WWR

WWR Member

I think the cell phone shoppers should have to face something, if not for failure to render aide, for displaying an enormous amount of asshattery.

7. God's Son

God's Son Member

america land of the heartless :(

8. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Houston is known for being a town of relatively nice people, do you think something like that could happen here??? I mean how can this happen to a woman, I understand maybe a man, but either way. What is this world coming to?

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

hotballa is on fire today.

10. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i doubt that would happen here.

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

before this I doubted it would happen ANYWHERE

Maybe those people just didn't want to get involved, idk, they should have some liability for this, a fine, anything.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

It sounds like there isn't much that can legally be done about this situation.

Reading this thread I remembering hearing something about a "Don't Snitch" campaign where rappers have been telling people not to cooperate with the police. does anyone know anything about this and purely speculating on my part I'm wondering if that had anything at all to do with this case?

13. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

As a first step, the police should release a video of all the shoppers who walked over the woman, and do close-ups on the faces, if possible.

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

well even if that was the case, "not being a snitch" doesn't translate into "be an *******" They could have helped the woman, helping someone who is hurt isn't helping the police or snitching. Regardless, who the hell are rappers to tell me what I can and cannot do. Most of them can't even put together a coherent sentence without cursing or using slang. There is no excuse for what these people did.. or in this case, didn't do.

If you see something like this happen, and you have an ounce of regard for anything other than yourself, you have a responsibility to do something about it. Because if it was you in that position, you would want someone to help you and not just walk over you and take pictures.

#14 bladeage, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  15. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

For the most part, states have refused to legislate good-samaritan laws. If you started arresting people for failing to help others, it would do more harm than good. There are just some moral things that should not be put into law.

Keep in mind, though, if you do see someone in trouble and you decide to help them, but end up making things worse, then you will get in trouble. So if you want to avoid legal liability, don't help someone unless you are in a specific duty to help them because they are a child, spouse, close relationship, employee, guest. If you want to help them for moral reasons, that's a completely different conversation seperate from the law.

In conclusion, there is NOTHING you can do legally against the bystanders who just walked over the body.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Wichita police department has released a photo of four of the shoppers that failed to render aid to the victim.

[​IMG]

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Even thought it's reported and I'm sure it's on video for confirmation, I still can't believe it happened.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I can almost understand the not wanting to help her thing, but for crying out loud, at least take 5 seconds out of your time and make a frigging 911 call.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm not sure if this is the case in every state as I had heard that some states have protections for good samaritans from liability. For instance if someone is choking and you inadvertantly injure them while giving them the Heimlich Manuever.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

WTF???!

#20 krnxsnoopy, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007