1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WTF Netflix] Cuties

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I got 4 mins into the video and had to turn it off. That is appalling...

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Well, this is certainly a D&D thread.

First, I’m not going to watch this movie, but I watched 2/3 of the neckbeard commentary in the first post.

I will say that intentional or not, it appears to be commentary on modern Westernized society as a whole. What do we value? Looks, money, attention grabbing actions.

Our kids see it. They see their parents watch it, and sadly, far too many have access to it themselves. It's inherently accepted and promoted.

This sort of behavior by children isn't anything new. The 1980's were riddled with movies of underaged kids trying to get laid. I personally saw neighborhood kids at Mardi Gras in Galveston dance like this in public 15 years ago.

It's all culmination of personality winning the personality ethic vs character ethic war. People just don't value, champion or espouse morals. They value dat money, looks and empty words. Look at social media. The Kardasians and their ilk. And we're seeing the head of the pimple right now in our own sociopath narcissist president game show host.

So don't hate the player (the movie), hate the game (the very ideals of society). Or rather, rise above the forest and see it for what it is. And if the director is a pedophile, then he should do the world a favor and give himself a quick lobotomy.

I discount the commentary in the first video. I sincerely doubt this guy has kids and he does what he does for money, so he lacks life context. I was going to say he probably never had sex but since he's an internet personality, there are probably dumbasses out there who have banged him.

4. Buck Turgidson

#4 Buck Turgidson, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    dmoneybangbang and Xerobull like this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

played by 35 year olds

yeah I don't think the "bad marketing" article works at all. First poster was much more honest.

6. Xerobull

I get what you're saying here. If this movie is some sort of monument to pedophilia it should absolutely be reviled.

But that doesn't discount the fact that this sort of behavior by preteens is widespread and common. I'm sure you can find 12-year-old girls and boys dancing like this on self-made videos on social media. There is a root cause for this, and it's not ****ed-up grown adult directors taking advantage of children.

I humbly ask you to please read what I wrote in its entirety so you can take the comments in context as a whole.

Blatz likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Has anyone watched the movie? Does it really warrant all the criticism?

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Directed by Maïmouna Doucouré, Cuties is a French movie that critiques society’s sexualization of girls. The movie follows an 11-year-old Senegalese girl living in Paris who dreams of joining a local dance clique. She decides to protest her parents’ strict household and join the other girls in dancing their way through competitions, trying to make a name for themselves.

Cuties uses “uncomfortable images to provoke a serious conversation about the sexualization of girls — especially regarding girls of color, the policing of a girl’s sexuality, double standards, the effect of social media on kids, and how children learn these behaviors,” one critic wrote on Roger Ebert. Doucouré’s intent is to show “that our children should have the time to be children,” she told TIME magazine this month. In using imagery about exploited youth, Doucouré wants to hit home just how important innocence is, and how much it’s taken for granted today.

I don't understand why this movie is being singled out by conservatives, do they not realize these pageants are ongoing and mostly popular in red states and usually and republicans is the overwhelming demographic that supports these pageants.

So what about Dance Moms that's currently still running on TV.

plutoblue11 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

"You Americans are such prudes and uncomfortable with sexuality" - some French person with a Frenchy accent probably.

Someone please block this from mike fiers netflex account.

plutoblue11 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Does this Vogue article you read and are reposting as your own thoughts show it's workings of how they reached these opinions? Just curious because a person who sorta likes movies this one seems to be about as deep as BMX bandits but instead of cool bikes it's a dance competition.

I think people are noticing because she won Sundance and it's wide release on netflix. For comparison, Kids that was previously brought up was NC-17, and ranked 140th in box office $ just behind The Amazing Panda Adventure.

I agree there is disproportional outrage but the defense is more puzzling.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't understand your question.

I have not seen the movie so I don't know if it works or not, Just posting what the Director was going for and I agree that these pressure on kids to do this stuff needs to be looked at.

I don't know how you can make that assumption from a trailer.

I am not defending anything because I have not seen the movie but I will defend the premise, I don't understand how its not more puzzling that these pageants happen every weekend somewhere and Dance Moms has been on 5+ years and this movie is enough to cancel Netflix.

What about the trailer sets you off?

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You can see this on Youtube.

13. Bandwagoner

I am 100% confident the director attempted to make a movie about the topics she claimed.

How about this as a scenario as a first time writer director: Making low/no budget movies is hard, she failed miserably, the movie is as shallow as Cop Out (2010), it's 95 minute run time was only achieved by padding with extended dance scenes making it appeal to pedos?

In this case defense of intentions is justified but the movie is the movie.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I made it to almost five minutes.......had to turn it off. I will say this.......there’s no doubt that the child actors are just that. Children. I know I’m getting old and starting to think like an old man, but DAMN......what is this world coming to? Not just the hyper sexualization at young ages, but the hyper violence our kids are exposed to.

#14 Pole, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have you watched the entire movie?

Why does this have to be padding and not just showing what these kids are actually practising and there entire routine.

Maybe the director was actually trying to beat viewers over the head about what these kids are doing and being taught.

Like you said maybe it just does not work but why does it automatically have to appeal to pedos?

Is Dance moms going for the pedo demographic?

plutoblue11 likes this.
  16. Bandwagoner

The criticism I have heard says the scenes were extremely extended. The hypothesis I proposed is just what happens in 95% of crap movies filling runtime and how to "save" them.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you have not seen the movie and don't know the context.

You are also basing you thoughts on other crap movies compared to a movie you have not seen.

Seems legit.

Why are basing this hypothesis on the critics that don't like the movie and ignoring the others?

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/cuties-movie-review-2020

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/c...end-film-child-p*rnography-claims-1234585763/

After reading up more on the issue it seems that Netflix is the one at fault because they chose to use a different promo poster that was very sexualized.

18. Xerobull

Thank you, but I don't want to watch it. If it were about 18 year old girls or 30 year old women doing the same thing I wouldn't watch it. I didn't watch Tiger King either, which, in my opinion based on comments and articles, along the same vein of self-centered personality-centric 'entertainment'. These types of movies or shows just aren't my idea of entertainment.

This was my first thought, too.

This is nothing new.

19. Bandwagoner

LOL

It seems you have not seen the movie you are defending either. Self awareness much?

Please watch this and defend how the director succeeded in her vision. I'd love to hear any of your own independent thoughts and ideas and not just posting articles.

JumpMan likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Please point out where I have defended the movie.

I have stated very clearly I have no idea about the movie because I have not watched it in my 1st reply to you.

What I am defending is the view of the director and what she is trying to say, once again I don't know if it was accomplished or not.

You on the other hand are condemning a movie you have not seen because of what some other critics have said, all the while ignoring critics that think she pulled it off.

How am I lacking in self awareness when I have repeatedly said that I cannot give an opinion of the movie?

I have given you my independent thoughts, how did you miss them?

Talk about self awareness?

Are you really complaining about me posting articles when you are basing your entire argument is based on what you have heard and because of other crap movies?

Really dude?