1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTF do people live in insanely cold places?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 16, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Well we know how the trees will feel once the cold is over.

releafed.

(•_•)
    /(•_•)/
    /( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

#141 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Dankstronaut likes this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. Preparation and infrastructure to support cold stretches goes a long way. And truth is most cold places most of the winter aren’t at 2 degrees that Texas is current at. Most of winter even in Anchorage it’s 20 to 30 degrees which is a bearable cold if you dress for it.

With climate change we are going to continue to see more of these polar blast mega storms and Texas better prepare for more extreme weather on both ends. 98 degrees is much different than 116 degrees. I can build a fire. I can’t do a damn thing with 116 degrees if my Ac goes out.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

we've seen less and less hard freezes for less duration.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Feels like the opposite.

I think it snowed like once in the thirty years I spent in East Texas, but in the 8 years since I left its happened like three times or something crazy.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if it makes y'all feel better it hasn't crossed 0 F in the last four days here in Minneapolis.

Surfguy likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

I'm from Houston and I can tell you from that perspective. 1989 and 1982 were worse according to frank billingsly.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The temperature briefly got to 1 degree Thursday (coincidentally shortly after we landed), otherwise the all time consecutive hours below 0 record would be in jeopardy.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A lot less people living here, however.

9. Bandwagoner

way less demand on power grid for sure.

10. the shark

the shark Member

A few weeks out of the yr where it gets really cold down here and of course people aren't used to it JUST as people up north whine like little BI/%^ES when temps get above 90 degrees.

Funny how you see more people from the north moving to the south than people from the south moving north. I think we all know why. I've lived in both by the way.

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Spent 10 years in Omaha for work, loved that town but hated the 4-5 months of hell called Winter

12. TheresTheDagger

I've done both...moved north to south and back again. I like the north...I never could get used to not having 4 distinct seasons and I missed the spectacular summers here. But that's just me. :)

13. the shark

the shark Member

I definitely do miss the fall weather and the beautiful foliage. To each his own.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now due to climate change, the insanely cold places come to you.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If TX cities started spending money buying salt trucks and salt for the roads that would be a bad idea. I understand the roads are bad but for TX where events like this are rare it would be a bad idea to deal with it with road salt. Leaving aside that salt trucks and salt itself is very expensive it's not good for the environment and damaging to cars and the road. Roads here in cold climates are built to handle it while the roads in TX aren't.

This is the same reason that I don't recommend for people in TX to salt their sidewalks or driveways.

Instead of salt should use sand. This will provide traction without being as damaging as salt and cheaper. Plus TX already has a lot of sand. It can be distributed using equipment that cities already have.

Just to note I've heard from friends from Denver that Denver uses very little road salt but rely on sand. While they get ice and snow it doesn't stick around for as long as Minneapolis so as long as they can maintain traction usually ice is gone within a few days.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

They've been sanding the roads in Austin but even some of the sand trucks are even sliding into ditches. When the snow storm hit us a few weeks ago, the city had trucks pretreating the roads to prevent icing. That never happened this time. Now the city is scrambling to deice the roads and lay down sand, but the constant moisture and temps continue to refreeze the ice. There was a serious colossal failure from all government services.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Dallas has used sand instead of salt for a while now. I always wondered about that but never researched it smh. Thanks for your post.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My Yankee relatives scoffed at this so I always thought it was Dallas being Dallas- all for show.

I guess they got something right. Not on purpose, obviously, but 10k monkeys are typewriters will also eventually coauthor a great novel...

ferrari77 likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Plumbers are scammers. I called Abacus for a leaky faucet a year ago, the plumber talked up a big deal about finding the part he needed and as soon as I paid the $400 he went to his truck and fixed it in 10 minutes.

People are about to be scammed and it's going to make the news

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

First of all, that video was hilarious. The snow plow got me, I laughed out loud sitting here by myself.

I will never forget as long as I live: I made a delivery once in NW Houston. Big company, other drivers there as well. The gentleman from the big rig was asking for water and let me tell you, my man needed water. He was sweating so profusely that it was obvious this wasn't his home. Patrick Ewing was there, Ewing was like damn fool are you ok? Here's some water.

He was from Nova Scotia and it was a classic humid Houston summer day. The comparison is one of us going somewhere that's like 130 degrees with even more oppressive levels of humidity. I don't think that place exists ::waits to be proven wrong::

TL;DR they wonder why we spend our lives in actual hellfire.