1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WTF] Did Adelman just throw the game?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Htown's2kFinest

How many times has this happened under Adelman? It seems like it's happened more than a couple of times before. If we fouled, sub in Martin... we would've won the game. :mad:

2. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, and it didn't look like they were thinking foul at all. This is the second time the strategy backfired on Adelman this season, IIRC.

3. Prince

Prince Member

coaching error you cna say that... but we were doing great with our defense and our free throw was 50% in the last 2 minutes.

4. PeppermintCandy

Never mind. Courtney Lee said he wanted to foul Rose but couldn't get there in time.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Where did he say this? I would be a bit more relieved at our coaching(and mad at Lee) if this was true.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Everyone always wants us to tank games, and then when Adelman does it, people are still not happy.

7. PeppermintCandy

Probably already saw this but here's Feigen's twitter.

@Jonathan_Feigen

Lee could not foul what he could not catch (DRose). "I wanted to jump on top of him and keep him down. I was going to try to foul him."

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

That is disappointing, but at the same time somewhat of a relief. That our coaching staff isn't utterly incompetent(for the second time) after all.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Feigen is making an excuse for Lee he had PLENTY of chances to foul him before that last pick that freed him up.

If Rick called for the foul then Lee Screwed it up in another late game situation.

The dude is just a choke artist late.

DD

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What a mess. I'm not convinced it was Lee's fault either.

Slick Rick is overrated. The worst part is he isn't going anywhere any time soon.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. As soon as it becomes a fouling contest, most good coaches in the NBA like to sub in their foul shooters. Doesn't matter how well you have played or if you've been loyal to the -- BULL****.

Best freethrows should shoot the team's freethrows, period.

12. DaDakota

Go look at Clutch's video in the first post of the post game analysis...and look at Rick Adelman on the sidelines with his hands up in exasperation and Lee ignored numerous chances to foul Drose.

Maybe Lee just loses it late.

DD

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats what I was thinking. I know Derrick Rose basically out-athleticized the whole team, they couldnt catch him AND he outjumped everybody...but once Noah got the ball the sharks shoulda been attacking that with fouls, or just ignored it. If Noah somehow buries a three on you, they deserve the game. Best thing to do is to foul them on the floor in 2pt territory.

14. bro2044

bro2044 Member

question

why didnt we foul at the end of regulation once they got it across halfcourt? Right before they choose to take a shot, foul, 8 of 10 seconds gone, they make 2 or less, foul us, we shoot, make 1 or 2, and then they have less than 2 seconds to get across halfcourt (no timeouts) to outscore us?

There is NO WAY in that scenario besides a 2/3 court BOMB that goes in for them to tie or outscore in that scenario, yet we let them get across halfcourt and take a 3 at the buzzer to tie it?

HOW is that the best move? we had the GAME if we fouled, right???

I missed the game while at work but just watched the homepage video It seems pretty dam obvious unless im missing something. All I know is we were down ALL game as I kept up on my cell phone scoreboard, and then took lead in final few minutes just for this sht to happen

W T F!?

15. DaDakota

I have confirmation from a source that they were told to foul.......

Dang.....Lee....got to start doing the smart thing.

DD

#95 DaDakota, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like rick, but the reason he doesnt have a ring isnt because of his team being out talented or the refs, but by some of his coaching errors and personality. the 90-92 blazers were some of the most talented teams in the league. They shouldnt lost 3 in a row at home to the pistons in 90. No way in hell they shouldnt have lost to the 91 lakers in the wcf. They had game 6 wrapped up with jordan basically through for the night until pippen and the bench got the game close enough for jordan to come in a close the game. Want a fairly modern game? 2008 playoffs, utah shooting free throws. A miss or make and the rockets can tie or win it. One of the all time great rebounders, deke, is on the bench and rookie,carl landry is on the floor. We all know how that turned out. By not having deke on the floor, he was setting up the play and wouldnt have to call a timeout. The attention to detail was lost in the greatness of the play he had drawn up in the previous timeout.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

In that case, I stand corrected. I still have issues with a guy who has never won anything and carries the label of a "player's coach".

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Especially in the playoffs, when every win/loss is decided by mere possessions, little details like those you pointed out, or something as simple as put your best FT shooter in when it is FT shooting time(duh?) can be the difference. When the players have done their part, the coaching has to come through as well.

Obviously this wouldn't be directed at tonight's game if it was indeed Courtney Lee's fault in failing to foul. But it does seem to be a trend that Adelman consistently misses the finer adjustments of the game. Maybe the problem isn't Adelman, but rather the assistants' whose sole purposes is to keep track of ingame developments.

Elston Turner, I am looking at you.

19. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

I actually think when Rose passed the ball to Noah, Miller should have fouled him then because there was no way Noah would have attempted a shot. You KNEW the ball was going back to Rose, so I partly blame Miller for this.

20. acjeitherocket

Morey said (on twitter) C Lee got the game ball tonight.....lmfaoooo wow