1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wow!! Krugman on China: "Rare & Dangerous"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Oct 18, 2010.

1. MFW

MFW Member

You know, when you went all "I'm from the powerful country in the world, best medical program in the world" on me, I thought you were actually a licensed physician. Then I found out that you're a moronic little twerp who isn't even in residency, let alone earning a single dollar in his life.

LMAO. And here I was, all ready to get up from my chair and shake your hand. What an achievement. I think at this point, it doesn't matter what I do for a living, I've already done better than you can.

So glasses up for that 50 cents you haven't earned.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad you've read my all my old posts, but you must lack reading comprehension because I mentioned in the last thread I'd not be posting as much once I was in residency or if I had a job that paid me "FIVE TIMES MORE THAN MY MD WIFE, LICENSED IN THREE COUNTRIES INCLUDING NY". For a man married to a physician, you sure are dumb. I hope that you're at least pretty.

I am afraid that your post does not qualify for you for another 50 cents. Try again?

3. MFW

MFW Member

Oh I read your post (thought I shouldn't, it's like watching a train wreck) and I understood you perfectly fine. And I've responded to you just fine too.

In that post, I think my response went something like. oh hell, I'll just post it for you:

But the really funny part of all this kinda comes down to this, it's rather ironic that somebody who doesn't possess any reading comprehension skills (that'll be you) making an idiot out of himself telling somebody else he doesn't possess reading comprehension skills.

Re-read my post, it had nothing to do with how hard you or I work or not work. It had more to do with the hilarious joke that someone who hasn't earned a single buck (or 50 cents, whichever), making fun of somebody who allegedly at least earned 50 cents. Like I said, at this point, I couldn't possibly have done worse than you. Truly amusing indeed.

Just as funny is the stupid part. Show me how intelligent you are. Actually refute my points, which, btw, are facts.

4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I hadn't read that post, and I had no intention of refuting your rants in this thread and I still don't. That's a fact.

Scratch this last piece, its too immature of me.

#84 Ubiquitin, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  5. MFW

MFW Member

You haven't read a lot of things and know even less, not the least of which are the things you felt compelled to comment on. That's the real fact.

But at least admission is the first step to recovery.

6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

You just don't stop.

Update to this story:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news...f-Export-Quotas-of-Rare-Earths-105401683.html

7. MFW

MFW Member

8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Would China be able to officially justify an export ban to the WTO?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So wait you're honestly arguing that Japan, inter alia, which has spent the last few months selling yen because they're getting crushed by the comparatively overvalued yen...and accordingly would line up to support a weaker yuan and a stronger yen?

Really? This is what you are arguing? You are really, truly arguing this?

10. MFW

MFW Member

Which WTO charter is China accused of violating? Is the US able to justify to the WTO the export ban on computer equipment, communications equipment, natural resources, bankrupt companies, of course weaponry, etc etc etc?

Is OPEC's oil production cap and quota legal? Does BHP Biliton, Rio Tinto and Vale have a oligopoly? Is the US subsidizing Boeing and the EU subsidizing Airbus? What else you want to ask?

11. MFW

MFW Member

LMAO. Sammy, logic never was your strong point, but now you stopped even pretending. Everybody wants "fair and free trade" when it's in their favour now don't they?

Hey, I got couple of examples for you:

1. I've got a used toilet paper. I'll trade it for your used Kleenex. Tomorrow I'll demand two.
    2. I hire you to make me pens. I'll pay you 1 MFW buck, the international settlement currency, which buys a loaf of bread. You have my word I'll pay you 1 and exactly 1 MFW buck. 3 month later when I get my pen, I'll have printed an additional MFW buck. It'll get you about half a loaf of bread.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

While Azdre and MFW are arguing about which of the two has earned 50 cents, the rest of us should refocus rare earth, the topic of this thread.

Wonderful balanced article from WSJ. But since it's paid content, I am not free to post it here. Just snippets, and thank you fair use.

Here is the link, if you have access to paid stuff on WSJ.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...678.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

[​IMG]
    A man works at the site of a rare-earth mine in China's Jangxi province on Wednesday.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While the PRC has a rapidly growing domestic market they are still primarily an export driven economy and anything that might jeopardize the economies they export too might come back and hit them.

You may be right that the PRC is willing to suffer short term gain for longterm advantage but a move like using rare earth exports in a trade war seems like it wouldn't have that many long term benefits.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You are right that the PRC has been imposing quotas over the last 5 years but doesn't it seem unusual that all of the Chinese extractors stopped shipping rare earth minerals to Japan on Sept 21st? You may be correct but at the same time the timing seems rather suspicious given what politically was going on at the time.
    And they just happened to hit that quota on Sept. 12th?
    I don't think the PRC officials even buy that as they are suggesting:
    [rquoter]The commerce minister, Chen Deming, suggested instead in a television interview on Sept. 26 that Chinese entrepreneurs in the rare earth industry might have halted shipments because of their own feelings toward Japan.

Thirty-two companies in China have export licenses for rare earth minerals, and 10 of them are foreign. Mr. Deming did not address why the 10 foreign companies would have strong feelings toward Japan, or why all companies in the Chinese industry halted shipments on the same day, Sept. 21.
    [/rquoter]

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/business/global/11rare.html

I am inclined to agree with you that the PRC has good reasons to limit the extraction and refinement of rare earth minerals and if what I saw at the Shanghai Expo has any value they are taking some major steps to address environmental problems. That said given the timing of the export ban I don't think what Krugman is saying can be totally dismissed. While the PRC officials won't say this was a government organized attempt to bring pressure on Japan even they put forward the possibility that the manufacturers themselves might have.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is one of the reasons why the D&D is a great source for information. You can get turned off/on by the drama and the e-penis measuring in the same topic, but check out the links and sources and you'll find a few gems.

brantonli24's in particular. Green for him.

Stuff I felt like quoting from the article.

Crafty Japanese
    Can a person be both Green and a Patriotic NIMBYer?

No one accused the Chinese of dumping rare earths into the market and shutting down "crucial industries" when this started 10-15 years ago. If anything, it's a dirty and messy process with a huge ecological footprint operating under highly volatile prices. Let's say these quotas or embargos (whatever you frame it) brings prices back to pre-China entry levels. Isn't that the market finally at work without Chinese authoritarian influence?

I think this will be the beginning of the end for ultra cheap rare earths even after other countries loosen China's grip on them. Besides competing against China's head start, they will have to face hurdles Chinese companies don't: environmental red tape, "free market" (shareholder/debt) pressures, decision making in capital intensive mining and refining under a counter cyclical environment. Short of China-like subsidies, they can only survive and grow if prices are high.

China can go back and dump the minerals to everyone's content to ward off these "drives for independence", but I doubt the government has any incentive to control a market that greatly benefits other countries more than their own while undercutting their own finite resources.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

China can pass the quota off as coincidental with the fisherman incident and provide several credible reasons supporting it.

"Helping other countries out" is not a compelling reason to make China sell their minerals to meet demand.

You compared this to OPEC. OPEC (through Saudi Arabia) sells petroleum cheap (for USD using countries) and plentiful because we guarantee their existence with our defense umbrella. China has no such arrangement with us.

We're gonna screw them (and other export countries) over by debasing the dollar over a sustained and undetermined period. I'm sure that that might jeopardize the economies they import/export to as well and maybe to a greater extent than withholding rare earths to a certain amount. (Let's not worry about how it will come back and hit us for now.) These moves are and will go on because of the financial collapse and the coming of a new financial order. There are no good guys and bad guys here. More like Team A, Team B, Team C.

Krugman is definitely using his pulpit and presenting a case towards a greater agenda. His past articles about China doesn't hide it. Let's say he's writing for Team A then assuming the mask of the progressive Bush sniping columnist that you'll sometimes see.

19. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Nah, I don't need to Wikipedia Paul Krugman. I have been reading his articles since 1997 in Fortune and the New York Times. And I think where China is concerned, he has his head way way up a dark dark place where the light never shines.

Like I said, Stiglitz is the better economist ;) But hey, continue to believe Krugman if you want. Better to have more people in this world stupider than me than to have more that are smarter or equal to me :grin:

20. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Let's see the Chinese response to Professor Paul ^_^

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90002/96743/7172140.html

Ouch. Poor Paul.