1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eyhab27, May 7, 2007.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Ok, don't jump on me for this, but I would just like to get an idea of how frustrated everyone is with the continous repeated mistakes of Yao.

we could also subsitute Yao in this trade with McGrady for a lineup with Garnett and Yao... which could really dominate the NBA for another 5-6 years.

Would you do a trade something like this, I'm sure it could work somehow if you take out a player and add another or so.... I didnt check to see if this works under the cap yet

Send to Timberwolves:
    Yao
    Howard
    Alston
    Head

Receive from Timberwolves:
    Garnett
    Foye
    Davis
    M. James

We give them our garbage in Howard and Alston, and get back 2 solid players in M James and Randy Foye. I think that a player like Ricky Davis could do really well for us off the bench. He does shoot alot, but with McGrady on the bench, he would be a great option.

I know this is a horrible trade from an owners standpoint, but you got to love Garnett's passion when he plays.

We could probably play a lot of small ball with this line-up with garnett at the 5.

2. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

VERY tempting, but no. Yao averaged 25 and 9 this year. He will only get better. If this trade went through, we would be kicking ourselves in 2 or 3 years.

3. sidewider26

sidewider26 Member

why would T-Wolves do this trade????

just to help rockets fans feel better after yesterday's loss?

:confused:

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Interesting trade scenario. I don't think T-Wolves would make that trade though. They are giving up a lot for one quality player in Yao.

5. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

No...

No way you trade Yao.

When you have Yao and especially T-Mac as well, there is pretty much one thing you need in order to win consistently. Either absolutely dead-eye 3pt shooters (which is what JVG mostly tried to do with Head/Rafer/Battier occasionally) or someone that will drive to the basket for a layup or dish (preferrably a PG...that role could go to T-Mac but he doesn't do it that often). In the second case, an athletic strong PF helps a lot so he can be the one to set the screen rather than Yao. Then you get the penetrating guard on the mismatch with the opposing team's PF and he should hopefully be able to drive past him to a layup or a short pass to a (if the play has panned out well) NON double-teamed Yao.

Sorry... was starting to get too tactical there ...I guess what I mean is that it's a dream to have both Yao and T-mac on your team. You just need the right players around them and the right plays.

JVG went for the option with the spot-up shooters and although it worked quite well through the season, it is quite unreliable. You are more likely to succeed with the penetrating guard.

To be honest, in JVG's defense I think even he (like all of us asking for it throughout the season) was hoping T-Mac would take that role this season so maybe that's why the roster is the way it is.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it made the original poster feel better to actually acknowledge, in his post, that we are giving up garbage for good players. can you smell it in the air? it's the offseason--where ludicrous trade proposals run rampant!

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

trading yao or tmac are tough cases. on the one hand, i dont know if yao or tmac have much more than 4 years left in them, from a physical standpoint.
    I think tmacs back will force him to retire 'early' and yao's health is always a concern due to his size and as he gets older it certainly wont get better. On th other hand, when those guys are going its tough to stop.

8. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Yao for Garnett.

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

No thanks! Maybe eyhab27 for a bag of chip?

10. steddinotayto

work it under the salary cap structure and get back to us.

11. Screaming Tree

Why don't we just call ourselves the Houston Timberwolves and they can be the Minnesota Rockets :rolleyes:

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i would do that trade in a heartbeat.....

13. eyhab27

When I said we were giving up garbage, i was only speaking of Howard and Alston.

I personally think that the Wolves are looking to move Garnett this year, and if they had a shot at Yao, it would be a dream come true for them.

I love Yao and McGrady to death, but in the back of my mind I am always afraid that Yao will get injured sooner or later. He has been falling pretty hard as of late, poor guy.

Lets see what happens. It should be an exciting offseason. The most important addition will be the coach.

14. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Yao for Garnett.

15. eyhab27

Right, and after the McGrady trade, why didnt we become the Houston Magic, and them the Orlando Rockets.

Oh, and after the Francis trade, why didnt we call ourselves the Houston Grizzlies, and them the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Or, after the Pippen trade, why didnt we call ourselves the Houston Blazers, and them the Portland Rockets.

should i keep going? :rolleyes:

16. steddinotayto

Why would the Wolves take ANY garbage when Garnett can get them youth and potential (i.e. any package the Knicks have) or a star and youth (i.e. a Laker package of Odom, Bynum, and picks)? You have to be at least semi-realistic in proposals. It's a nice and fun world to live in where everything works in our favor, but it's ten times better to find a trade that works out for both teams where neither are getting the shaft.

17. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

No not a chance Yao needs Dream to be his coach and he will be dominate next season. Get T-Mac help he could use someone who penetrate and finish the play beside him. Bench ? please trade Juwan, Luther and Lucas,Bonzi for Mike James or somebody who could come of the bench and provide offense threat. Of course get rid of JVG who could not compete in the post season and refuse to develope young talents.

18. Yao Bling

Yao Bling New Member

the trade scenario is pretty outrageous, I agree.

But the principle of it. . . can we win a championship with Yao? The league is getting faster and smaller and more athletic, we didn't even make it far enough to lose to a team like the Phoenix Suns who everyone agrees is an awful matchup for us.

It'd be one thing if Yao was punishing small teams offensively like Shaq used to, but so far he has not shown any ability to do that. Don't be fooled by the better-than-decent numbers in the box score, if anyone watches a game you can tell he is being pushed out from the box by smaller players and gets stripped way too often.

So then Yao is a liability both offensively and defensively. As much as I love Yao, it is definitely something to consider.

19. eyhab27

Odom, Bynum, and picks < YAO

IMHO I think Yao still has much higher trade value than anything on the Knicks, or Lakers (minus Kobe). I think the proposol I made is definately realistic. I'm not saying I absolutely want this trade, but I think its interesting enough to at least discuss.

20. eyhab27

i agree 100%. If we do keep Yao, I think he needs to get more 15-17 ft jumpers. Under JVG Yao was forced to work way too hard with all that running around. He is so deadly from the 15-17 foot range, and centers dont like to come out that far. With his height, he should be able to get at least 4 or 5 of those shots a game.

Also, smaller line-ups have been killing us all season long. Its painful to watch Yao get blocked, ripped, boxed out, and beatin to the ball, possesion after possesion. Those are things that JVG had no control over.