1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would You Trade Tracy for the #1 pick in the draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zantabak1111, Feb 26, 2009.

1. wang69

wang69 Member

not so sure about blake griffin, but i would absolutely trade t-mac for a high draft pick. if any team is stupid enough to do that. would you throw away a potential franchise prospect for a crumbling career?

2. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I think its to early to evaluate this team for the future right now and what to do with Macy.

See how the rest of the season goes, see how the playoffs goes. Resign Artest for the right money, if all goes well for the rest of the regular season and the post season. We don't have to do anything with Macy, the team wins either way. Either we get a good package for him or we let him walk and his money is off the books for the best free agent year of all-time.

The current team is good and is has a good chance to be scary in the playoffs. I think the next time we talk about what to do with Macy and the state of the team, should be in the off season.

3. cbb139

cbb139 Member

Man, i swap t-mac for the #1 pick straight up, whatever else come is a bonus.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm just trying to figure out why a cellar dweller team would give up a lottery pick plus a marquee player for Tmac. You can figure they would trade talent locked into a long term contract for Tracy's expiring contract, but not talent AND a draft pick - doesn't make sense. Any rebuilding team would keep the draft pick unless they felt they were getting more talent in return(clearly not Tmac) or felt they were adding a missing piece to a contender(clearly not the teams who will have high draft choices this year now that Isiah is no longer giving away 1st rd picks to savy GMs).

Of course Houston would jump at the chance to get a star+ a high draft pick for Tmac but I don't think any team is THAT desperate to mortgage both short and long term investments for an expiring deal unless they felt they had a legit shot at Lebron, Wade, or Bosh in 2010. You just can't sell the fan base on the value of Tmac's expiring deal(because he holds little on court value now) unless it's to get a BIG marquee player in FA. Maybe Washington or the Clippers trade Baron or Arenas or Butler for Tmac's expiring deal(assuming numbers work out), but I think the market for star+high draft pick are slim to none...maybe bad contract non star+high draft pick is a possibility or star+second rounder or low first rounder.

The only team that might bite would be the Nets and it would be Tmac for Carter+mid first rounder+filler and ONLY if the Nets got really desperate thinking they were going to be stuck with Carter's contract during the summer of Lebron but given they rebuffed Houston several times at the trade deadline this year, I doubt they get that desperate in the offseason.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Member

I dont think a draft pick is gonna help us. We will get a raw player who won't meet his potential for a few years. We are basically in win now mode for the most part. We have maybe 3 years of great Yao left, and a VERY solid foundation if we resign Artest, top 4 in the west atleast for the next few years.

With that said, we have to try and turn McGradys 20+ million into something tangabile and then we can be VERY dangerous.

So what does this team need? I believe in a star, the most important general traits we need are everything McGrady isnt - ie healthy, hustle guy, shooter and defender. I don't think we need another slasher or post up player.

Im fairly happy with Artest, Battier and Yao starting at the 2,3 and 5. Brooks and Scola are solid, but could stand to be upgraded, especially if we have 20 million freeing up. I am not a fan of getting someone just because you can. I am more of a fan of getting the right person(s).

So if we targeted a 1 or 4, heres what I would want:

PG: shooter, defender, low turnovers, hustle
    PF: lengthy, defender, rebounder, blocks shots, hustle

I am praying for Bosh personally. This frees up Landry or Scola to be moved while still keeping an extremely solid PF slot.

AB/Lowry/Barry
    Artest/Wafer/Barry
    Battier/Artest
    Bosh/Scola/Landry
    Yao/Deke

Is about as solid as I think we can feasibly get.

6. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

I dont' think deke is gonna be here next year or in 2010 bud

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

READING COMPREHENSION FTL...!

8. Possum

Possum Member

Couldnt even bring myself to read this thread. Who would be stupid enough to give us the #1 pick for McGrady.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I guess you did not read the post before commenting

10. onreego

onreego Member

[​IMG]

were you hanging out with Dunleavy before you made this thread?

11. Seth

Seth Member

Why everyone here think that all teams would gladly take our junk and give us their best..?

McGrady is worth nothing right now, just an expiring contract, and expiring contracts never get you top picks, great players get you that. But T-Mac is just a expiring.

I would say the best we can get for T-Mac is mid level player (someone like Mo Williams) via sign and trade. Plus a filler, if the filler is a bad contract maybe we can get a top 15 pick, but that´s it.

12. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Member

(Phone Rings)
    "Hello, this is Morey." DM
    "Is Mac available, well what you got." DM
    (Long Pause)
    (Covers the phone and whispers to Les)
    mac for the #1 :eek:
    (Clears his throat)
    "Ok, we'll take it." DM
    (Hangs up and screams like a school girl)

13. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

To all those that just said one dumb thing after another about me mentioning this trade, maybe you didn't read what ESPN.com said about the financial state of the NBA now

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090227

the rockets are clearly one of the few teams that may be able to handle paying someone like Arenas in 2-3 years. Alot of teams like the clippers may not even be able to pay Baron and TURN A PROFIT....that is the goal of these teams believe it or not.

So quit saying why would a team trade so much for tracy when he is junk, its all a matter of freeing $60-$70M in future in spending off your books and to do that you may have to sacrifice a huge asset such as a #1 pick. The economy in America isn't turning around soon and the players are not gonna see the huge contracts they're used to in the future. So if some of you were over 17 in here and understand the economic side of the game you would see this is a reasonable offer.

Washington is free and clear to lose all the money on earth in 2010 and beyond while the Rockets eat Gilbert and his contract because of our huge amounts of money coming in thanks to the great wall and in exchange for helping Washington we get the #1 pick. I know Washington didn't take money yesterday but you watch 6 months from now. Nobody has money to burn these days, much less on tickets to watch a garbage team play.