1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Sengun/Tate/2023 1st unprotected for Zion?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 22, 2022.

?

Trade Sengun+ for Zion?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He is actually 22 stone now.

aaquaa, Zen Tabak and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

First, I don't agree that he is the best prospect since LeBron..... maybe at scoring but not at being a basketball player.... since LBJ, I would say AD was a better prospect, as well as Howard, Oden, Durant, Wall, Doncic and KAT.

Also, Zion isn't healthy and hasn't been healthy for the majority of his NBA career and he doesn't exactly take care of himself either. That doesn't even get into the fact that he doesn't defend well at all and he doesn't rebound well.... plus he is approaching the point where he can ask for the maximum.... and the Rockets are supposed to give up the #2 pick from last year, a guy they used two first rounders on and a future first rounder for? That is a recipe for disaster.... he also didn't make a big difference in wins for the Pelicans, they have as many wins at this point this year without him as they did with him last year.

If he were a free agent at the Rockets were going to risk giving him the max, that would be one thing..... of if this was the Rockets team that had Harden.... but it isn't this team isn't winning anything with or without Norbert.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not sure where the arrogance part comes in. I guess I shouldn’t have stepped on your omnipresent toes by bringing up a logical counter argument to your ill informed opinion that is putting Zion in the same stratosphere as Embid.

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

yeah you’re right 62% eFG is an even higher stratosphere than Embiid, much higher actually.

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

6. xaos

xaos Member

Again, hard no

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

surprised Shams even felt the need to confirm that…we all knew Zion wasn’t playing this year

xaos and i3artow i3aller like this.
  8. thekad

thekad Member

Currently ~80% say no. It will be interesting re-visiting this thread in a year or two.

Reminder that Zion is a 22 year with All-NBA caliber talent right now. What’s the likelihood Sengun/Tate/14% of the #1 pick (with the worst record) gets you that and is it realistically higher than Zion taking his health seriously?

#188 thekad, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Remember also that Zion is a tubby "fat Barkley" looking player already at 22 with Yao Ming's feet.

He's about 20 minutes away from eating his way out of the league entirely.

hakeem94, aaquaa and eliefor3 like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A Month later
    No!

Rocket River

Deckard, arabrocket and Bobbythegreat like this.
  11. jayfree

jayfree Member

Zion is subtraction by addition

aaquaa likes this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Y’all are nuts. Green, Zion and Holmgren, plus whatever 70 or 80 million in cap space could buy you after 2023 when all those contracts come off the books would be a great start to a contending team. That’s giving Zion the rookie max (I think it’s something like 30 million- right?) and paying Holmgren and Green like 20 million combined. You’d also have whoever you added with the Brooklyn pick from the middle of the draft. You could sign a max level player and 3 solid rotation pieces for that extra cap money. That’s a good squad in a couple years honestly, as well as fun to watch.

13. dmoneybangbang

Again, doesn't hurt to inquire in the offseason.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think New Orleans would even pick up the phone if you're seriously offering Tate (role player) and Sengun (role player<->all star) and a 1 for Zion (all NBA). Sengun is a fun passer and post mover but flair only gets you so far. Long way to go before he's a cornerstone.

That's the kind of thing that just gets laughed at.

hakeemthagreat and Reeko like this.
  15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It all comes down to if he demands a trade. Look at Wood tonight. If you offered Wood, Tate, and a Brooklyn 1st for Zion who hasn’t played in a year and demands out NOP would have to consider it.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is true…regardless of the flaws in his game and his health concerns, it’s pretty delusional to think New Orleans would trade him for the packages mentioned here

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Consider it laughable. Zion is an RFA - he can't really demand out he has to either sign the 1yr qualifying offer (huge risk to him getting hurt again), or be matched.

You don't trade a superstar -even an injured one, for a bunch of role players, unless there's a ton of draft picks for a full Harden style rebuild (NO not rebuilding) or another superstar coming back

Basically outside of including Jalen Green or some unprotected Harden trade picks - we have nothing they want or need.

18. thekad

thekad Member

Disagree here. Obviously the Rockets could add picks but an unprotected 1st in a premium draft from the most dysfunctional team in the league whose best player hasn’t played in a season is one of the best assets out there.

I think James Harden was traded for a worse package (Martin, Lamb, Tor 1st) in a similar situation (last year of rookie contract).

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Griffin has done such a horrific job with the options he had.

I wouldn't gamble on Zion. When healthy, he's an all time scorer and creator. But I don't think it's as simple as waiting for him to get healthy and asking him to go on a diet. I'm sure they've offered him any method in the world he likes to get healthy. I'm not certain it's going to work, I would say it's 50-50 in my mind.

I wouldn't trade the #1 for him straight up right now cause I believe that player has a greater than 50-50 chance of becoming a franchise cornerstone who's on the floor almost all the time.

20. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah it will be interesting to see how many people were willing to give up to get a guy who is done. Even if he plays again at a high level it won't last long.

#200 xaos, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022