1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Lin for Lillard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sigmund, Aug 8, 2012.

?

Would you trade Lin for Lillard?

1. Yes, but only without picks

12.4%
  2. Yes, but only for one first round pick

10.8%
  3. Yes, whatever it takes

41.7%
  4. No

35.1%
  1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

pretty sure Sigmund means "proceeds intelligently" in Estonia.

2. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

OHMMS is that you?:(

1 person likes this.
  3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Lillard is good, and Lin is better.

4. VanityHalfBlack

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lB4dhA5rmxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Would you trade Sigmund for GlenRice?
    Yes, but only without picks
    Yes, but only for one first round pick
    Yes, whatever it takes
    No

Would you trade Sigmund for DaDakota/Margrave?
    Yes, whatever it takes
    No

Would you trade Sigmund for ascaptjack?
    Yes, whatever it takes
    No

1 person likes this.
  6. redlawn

redlawn Member

Terrible comparison. Everyone knows that Anthony Davis will be star. He's far and away the best player in this most recent draft, and by a longshot.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Davis won a national championship playing D-1 basketball at Kentucky. Lilliard played in the Big Sky conference.

No one here is saying that one player is better than another. We're not psychics or wizards. John Henson could end up having the best career from this draft class for all we know.

8. psingh34

psingh34 Member

so by this you are insinuating that morey had the opportunity to make a trade and he did not?? in fact this is not true .. if you watched the draft most reports stated that sacremento would ENTERTAIN an offer ONLY if robinson did not fall to them (he was expected to go 2) but when MJ passed on robinson, sacremento was not going to be willing to trade the pick .. so was his mistake not forcing jordan to draft robinson? or was it to somehow use jedi mind tricks to get the sac gm to make the trade?

9. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Would you trade Sigmund for Lillard? That should be on the poll...

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i find it funny that lurkers just come out no where and post :grin:

kinda creepy at the same time

11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

it was just sarcasm. you'll understand these kind of things once you stay here long enough

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

[​IMG]

i thought this guy was going to be d-wade according to college statistic?

wat happen? :confused:
    yea.....nba happens

13. Rockets_Fan15

Rockets_Fan15 Rookie

Portland would never give him up. But if I had the option I would try. Lillard is really good! I personally am excited to see him play.

14. alethios

alethios Member

But we already have our UConn gold :grin:

15. BayAreaBaller

BayAreaBaller Member

As someone that saw both guys play in HS and only some in college (unfortunately, since both were criminally under-recruited out of HS), I feel qualified to answer this question.

My answer would be "no."

Both guys were very good in HS and I thought both were good enough to play in the PAC-10 at the time (though many thought Lillard was mid-major and Lin wasn't even D-I). Lillard was a big scorer that played on a pretty talented Oakland High team, but they didn't achieve great team success (they were good, but probably should have achieved more based on their talent). Lin lead his less talented Palo Alto HS team (no other D-I recruits) to a 32-2 record as a junior (before he broke his ankle playing in a pick-up game before a much anticipated match-up with Ryan Anderson's Oak Ridge HS team in the NorCal final) and 32-1 record and a state championship (a victory as a huge underdog vs. perennial national powerhouse Mater Dei of Santa Ana, CA) as a senior.

Lillard should be a good player in this league and he'll get multiple opportunities to either succeed or fail. And unlike Bayless, Portland will be patient with him since they are in more of a rebuilding mode right now. I don't think he'll win the ROY (Anthony Davis has that on lock), but he'll probably be the only rookie starting PG, which should get him 1st Team All-Rookie by default.

Lillard definitely leans toward being a scoring PG. He has the ability to be a 20 ppg scorer in the League. He can set guys up, but his mentality is to score. He's a very good shooter (his one clear advantage over Lin right now), but he has a very low shot release (shoots from his face). When his Weber State team came to Berkeley to play Cal, he was shut down by Jorge Gutierrez (who, to be fair, is an outstanding defender). He's a guy that definitely needs space to get that shot off, and in college it looks like he got that space most of the time.

My problem with Lillard that night wasn't that he couldn't get a shot to fall, it was that he didn't do anything else. He couldn't involve his teammates in the game (advantage Lin), showed little leadership ability (advantage Lin), and was poor defensively (advantage Lin, who despite what his critics say is a pretty good defender). His feel for the game was pretty poor that night. He forced shots and ignored his teammates at times. He hits some late three's when Cal put their scrubs in to make his point total look respectable. Maybe he was just rattled playing at home in front of his family and friends.

And one other thing I look for are pure basketball instincts. IMO, that's a big advantage for Lin and explains why he is really good without being greatly skilled (yet...his skill level--particularly his shot--has greatly improved since he's been in the League).

4 people like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. catch22

catch22 Member

great informative post

18. alethios

alethios Member

Well said. I believe Lin is less of a project and more ready to step into his role as PG and floor general than Lillard (at this point). Lillard's numbers and shoot-first mentality are more indicative of Steve Francis, which if he turns out to be like SF3, that's not necessarily a bad thing - just not for a developing young team that needs better distribution of the ball.

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

hey Sig boy, i'm sure you would trade Lin or Lillard but you wouldn't trade Fortson for Lillard would you?

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

You just answered your own statement. If it is a fan vote how the hell can somebody deserve to be an All Star. All Star Games are a popularity contest. You don't become an All Star on merit or because you deserved it. Holy.