1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you Trade Kidd for Alston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WoodlandsBoy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Alston has come a long way because after last nights performance, I wouldn't trade him for Jason Kidd straight up.

I would also take Skip over Fisher, AI, and Parker because of his defense.

But can he make us Rocket fans want him over other western conference playoff point guards.

I guess as of right now I would trade only him for Paul, Nash and Williams.

2. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I would not do any trade that gets us older, i.e The JVG way :mad:

3. playlife

playlife Member

Alston over Parker??? you serious??

4. ibm

ibm Member

this is silly. while rafer has been playing very well, this post is a typical one that sees a tree but not the forest.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I think this speaks more of Kidd's decline then Alston's "upswing".

6. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Come on man Alston has been hotter than Jessica Alba lately but you would take him over Tony Parker? Do you realize how lethal Tony Parker would make our inside-out game? Granted we lose Skip's 3 pt. shooting but we'd be deadly at penetrating the defense.

You'd take him over AI!? AI's old but the dude can still flat out play. And in our unselfish system, he gets his shots up. And he can make them. As seen by his 3rd highest career PPG scoring EVER.

I am loving Alston right now, but let's not get carried away. Jason Kidd is too old. Iverson is getting there. So that's the cases against them. But don't forget that everyone is playing hot. When we lose and he has a bad night, don't be the first to wish we traded him for Andre Miller.

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Only the Parker comment is outrageous to me.

Kidd and his contract can stay on Dallas. he doesn't solve any of our true needs and costs us a ton of money.

AI? Do you seriously want that chemistry killer on your team? All he does is play one on one basketball. Take a second and look at how talented Denver is and wonder why they don't even run plays. Melo goes one on one, then AI, then Camby shoots a J, ect... AI is also banged up and no longer even attempts to play a lick of defense. Plus his contract is horrible. I wouldn't want either because they wouldn't help the Rockets. Tony parker, sign me up.

8. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Why would we need 3 top PG's? We don't have the money and the spot. Oh wait, we can cut/buyout TMac and Yao.

;)

9. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

if salary is a factor, I am not going to take ai or kidd for alston, but it's just insane not to have parker over alston.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You overrate Alston's play as of late. Those are players that have put up incredible numbers for most of their whole career. I would trade him for a good number of PGs in the Western Conference but definitely not Jason Kidd. He just doesn't mesh will with our current offensive scheme. I know Francis is working on coming back next season, and I don't know what Bobby Jackson's contract is like, but acquiring a decent sized PG in the offseason would help this team tremendously. That and a back up center that can defer minutes off Deke and Yao. Especially Yao since I don't want to see him logging 37 minutes a game anymore, at least not until the playoffs.

So offseason goals should be acquire a back up PG to make up for Brooks lack of size and B. Jackson's age. And a center that can log 15-20 minutes a night shared with Deke, Scola, and Landry.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Yes, I would trade him for any starting PG in the West, after the season is over. He is playing great right now, but you have to look at the big picture. Right now, I wouldn't trade anybody even if we could. If it is not broke, don't fix it.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes

sanity prevails

13. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Maybe I went over the line by including Parker in that list. I just feel that Alston's defense is far superior to Parkers. Parker's offense, and quickness may outweight what Alstons doing on defense.

14. rocketsfaninsa

yeah the forest is the fact that alston has elevated his game this entire year and even more so during this incredible streak!

15. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

I think we can somewhat go for small ball even with Yao, so we don't have to play Yao too much. We need another people who can make his own play to attract double team to rest Yao and Tmac. I think if we go deep in this playoff, maybe we can get Artest during the offseason.

16. ibm

ibm Member

yes, rafer has elevated his game. and i'm loving it.

but, even after his elevation, you line up the 30 starting pg's and see where he is.

the point is, the op lost sight of rafer's overall ranking in this league after a nice surprise from the skippy...

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Man. That's crazy. I wouldn't trade him for Kidd; Kidd hasn't played in halfcourt sets in years. Plus the salaries don't match, and the Rockets would have to give up too much. But I'd take Parker, Fisher, Harris, CP3, Nash, Williams, Davis, Ford, and Billips over Ralston. Hell, I'd take half the point guards in the league over Ralston. I'd never take AI; I've never liked him. He's a volume shooter, and I have no use for a player who needs to take a ton of shots in order to be effective.

It's not that I haven't been impressed with his play this season -- I very much have. But I believe this will be just an aberattion, not a continuance. If he keeps it up for more than a single season, I might put him higher. Right now, I'm only SLIGHTLY higher on him than Clutch.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Alston over Fisher is a solid point just b/c of how everyone wanted Fisher here before last season (and during last season too)

Alston over Kidd is understandable--esp. on this team due to Kidd's inability to shoot. It'd be killer, so I feel the same way.

Any of the other guys you mentioned is ridiculous. I'd trade Rafer for them in a heartbeat if the salaries worked out straight up (ie with AI, they wouldn't at all so it wouldn't really happen)

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I disagree. You definitely don't trade Rafer for just any PG starter. At best you give up a bunch of talent/picks and taking on huge contracts to get a star (which would never happen anyway since Paul/Williams/Roy/Parker are all staying put) or a lateral (earl watson/randy foye) or backwards (AI/kidd/nash) move and why screw with the chemistry?

Yes, I said Nash would be a backwards move. Why? Because he's getting older, can't play much defense, and in general wouldn't fit in our defensive scheme. Other teams' PGs light him up all the time. He obviously can't play as well in half-court and we have Yao -> no go.

20. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We have chemistry.

Did Kidd help the Mavs chemistry?