1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sogood.

sogood. Member

Don't know why this discussion have been going on for 62 pages...

Don't you guys remember when Tilman straight up refused to trade Harden to the Sixers?

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/01/1...mant-about-not-trading-james-harden-to-76ers/

No chance in hell Morey is sending Simmons over here.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Things have changed since then. I agree that chances are very low (given the players we have and what Morey is wanting) but if you offer Morey enough picks and a package of players that can help the Sixers get close to the championship he's stupid not to entertain a trade to Houston.

Let's say Stone offers 4 1sts and then he adds in Wood, Gordon, and Tate. No bonafide All-Star in that group but that's a pretty legit offer from an asset standpoint, better than the Brogdon/Levert/picks packge imo. Would Stone give up that much? Maybe, maybe not but the point is Morey wouldn't be dumb enough to NOT consider all options right now, including any real offer from Stone.

3. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

For that package (4 1sts,Wood, Gordon and Tate), we would need to add Wall in our package, and get both Simmons and Embiid. They wouldn’t be very happy together, though :D

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm just trying to acquire as many Rich Paul clients as I can get. Wall...Simmons...next target is KCP and then Nerlens Noel. /s

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. sogood.

sogood. Member

Never underestimate the pettiness of NBA front offices.

The Spurs had a godfather offer for Kawhi from the Lakers which consisted of Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball, and a first round pick. They instead traded him for DeMar ****ing DeRozan.

NewAge and hakeem94 like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

for that package they ought to take Silas as well...

Ankara1923 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

DeRozan was an All Star at time of trade.

No player in that Lakers trade offer was an All Star.

withmustard likes this.
  8. sogood.

sogood. Member

He might be an all-star but his value was nowhere near what the Lakers offered.

Mike Conley is an all-star, would you take him over someone like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Clickbait .... Lets look at some packages the Heat could offer to satisfy cap rules in a Wall trade.
    Miami Heat 2021-22 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac

What does Miami have to send out in return that adds up to $35,348,648 ?

Jimmy Buckets ($36m) for Wall straight up.

Bam Adebayo ($28.1m) , Pj Tucker ($7m) & Omer Yurtseven (1.4m)

Kyle Lowry ($26m) , Pj Tucker ($7m) & Tyler Herro ($4m).

Who says no to any of the above ?!

Now we understand the complication that is John Wall's contract ? Just about any team in the league would be in the same situation in sending out players they have no desire to lose just to match salary.
    Then don't forget that the Rockets don't have any open roster spots meaning the trade would have to be 1:1 unless they waive or trade for no return a player for each in that deal over 1:1. (Sure we can move House and Augustin but who's taking them?)

Pick an NBA team that you think Wall helps & go look at their list of contracts and figure out what combination of contracts it would take to satisfy cap rules - Minimum of $35,348,648 (125%+100k) of Wall's $44.3m. Then ask yourself would that team do that ?
    The answer is No ....

withmustard and luckyman76 like this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s Philly or bust.

D-rock, coachbadlee and Plowman like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In all honesty , I'd rather bust than add Simmons.

I really like the timeline Stone has laid out - based upon the growth of the young guys on the roster , likely another early lotto pick this year & the ability to add salary when they hit year three and beyond.

2023/24 the Rockets take the league by storm.

amaru, luckyman76 and ArtV like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Have you watched SGA play this season?

DeRozan was a legit star.

No one in that Lakers trade package was as good. Period.

Dobbizzle and clos4life like this.
  13. sogood.

sogood. Member

Once again I'm talking about value, not who's better. The Lakers package was a lot more valuable than Toronto's. As I pointed out, Pop's/Spurs front office pettiness is looking as an all-time blunder.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree to disagree.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. sogood.

sogood. Member

Hey I'm hoping I'm wrong about Morey's pettiness as Ben Simmons on this team in a Draymond Green role would be IMO tremendous.

Kevooooo, ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Genuine question because I honestly don't know how it works in a buyout. Can you buy somebody out then resign them to a lower contract and then trade them? For example, could Wall accept a buyout for half the value of his contract then we resign him on a contract that's worth the other half and then trade him? It sounds implausible now I've typed it out, but I was just wondering if that's a thing? haha.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Stop it Bodrizzle, No

peleincubus and VickMackey like this.
  18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They closed that loophole in the last CBA. But that’s how CLE was able to waive and resign Big Z 30 days later, many moons ago.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

No.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if this would entice Philly. Not the greatest of trades for Simmons, but don't see many options for them at the time. A @D-rock special. Not a fan of giving away Tate yet, but honestly, I can deal with it in order to get an actual PG in the roster and we can move KPJ to the 3 where I believe he would excel more.

One more thought, this would allow Morey to be able to get into the Bradley Beal sweepstakes. Gives him some flexibility since Ibaka expires at the end of the year and Bledsoe and Green have a combined $28M in expiring contracts that can easily be traded in the offseason to open up room.

Edit: Just saw how awful Bledsoe has been this season, back to the drawing board.

tradenba-snap-1635608073956.png

#1260 ElPigto, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    D-rock likes this.