1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s going to take more than one pick. And I would rather give up KPJ than Tate (and they would likely value him higher anyway).

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Timeline? If you are within a 5-7yr window... you're in each other's timeline. Kobe and Shaq, Duncan and Parker, Kareem and Magic.

No team is going to have all of their prime players all within a yr or two of each other. The contracts will be problematic.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lucas is good for guys who are from tough backgrounds, having trouble controlling their lives, hanging out with the wrong group of people, etc.

Simmons is the opposite of those guys. He's a spoiled brat who doesn't think he needs help other than that the whole world owes him.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about 2 Second rounders?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see.

6. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If that is true then there is ZERO reason to add Ben here. He can't shoot and no need for a spoiled brat to destroy the culture we need to establish Post Harden.

Corrosion, Easy and i3artow i3aller like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think many are letting themselves be blinded by the noise surrounding the divorce.

There is a hoopin life after this for Ben and it figures to be huge.

D-rock and theDude like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

The stuff about his work ethic and entitlement has been there throughout his entire tenure.

We still need to outbid other teams, which shouldn’t be an issue with our war chest. But how much? Why would the Sixers want Wall plus picks if they are competing now?

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This

Plowman likes this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I would give up Tate in the trade as well. Wall and a #1 is not enough. I wished Stone would have dealt Harden for Simmons and picks last yr.

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

LOL. I can’t believe pro-Simmons-for-Harden trade people still exist.

#1231 Houston77, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Corrosion likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why not? If it just costs us John Wall and a FRP, and a 2nd round pick?

That seems like a fair exchange - we don't need Wall and Simmons is a Point forward that will help accelerate the rebuild.

I mean there is a point in which you say no....but Wall is a waste of space here, if we can get Simmons for essentially him......would be stupid not to do it.

DD

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No, not pro-Simmons trade now. Pro-Simmons for Harden people.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the short answer is that they wouldn’t. It would probably also take KPJ or Tate in addition to picks. Philly could then possibly turn the picks into an additional player at the deadline. If Morey would stop trying to exert dominance and think rationally, he would take this approach no matter which team he ends up dealing with.

ElPigto likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

In my opinion, the Sixers are waiting to see if they can get Dame or Beal or maybe Fox this mid season deadline. If/when they don’t become available, then the Sixers will seriously consider the next tier of offers.

For all we know the Sixers will want Gordon, Tate, Woods, and a couple of picks.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The most 1st rounders I'd trade for Ben at this point is two, lower or non-lottery pick. If my team is projected to finish in the bottom quarter of the league, I'd be against trading for Ben Simmons, at this point.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't think you can be bonafide franchise player unless you can score and/or shoot, really well. If you look at the best 10-25 point guards of all time, they all could pass, pretty well, but they could also score and if they did not score alot of points, many of them were still pretty great shooters. That's pretty standard across every era. Cousy, Big O, Magic, Bing, Wilkens, KJ, Stockton, Nash, Curry, Payton, CP3, Frazier, and many other. They all were more or less the total package on offense, or close to it for their time periods. Ben cannot shoot mid-range or 3 point shots, and is unwilling to. As much as we criticize him, Westbrook is rarely afraid to shoot and goes full-speed ahead on offense. He's trying his damnedest to win the game, or score when he has to. You almost need two other franchise guys to really make Ben work out and you need to have shooters everywhere on your team.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Defense first guys are invaluable and can be serious contributors to championship ala Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman. The good and bad is that Simmons is also an elite playmaker but needs the ball in his hands to be most effective. Someone has to be able to unlock the puzzle and surround him with the right fit. I’d like to see a season of Simmons at PG instead of KPJ next to Green. Just run pnr with Sengun/Wood and pass to Green for open 3s.

D-rock and plutoblue11 like this.
  19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Completely agree with what you are saying, but a minimum of 3 to 4 first round pick with an impact player that's a big price. Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman are all time great players and vital to championship caliber team, but the main problem with Ben is the price. Ben W and Dennis are substantial players, like Ben S., but they both had 3 or more guys who score around them as well. With Ben, you'd have a max level salary guy and you need at minimum 2 or more guys who can give you 18 ppg a night and several players who deadly shooters. Your strategy for Ben with our team works and would get us along well, but we'd lose against better teams, though. They'd be able to counter that fairly easy.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member