1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

these odds are terrible
    how many championships the teams who drafted these 2 got?

0 championships lolololololol

or 1 single title if you count the one lebron won when he went back to cleveland lololololol

so it really doesnt pay to tank...even if you get the best player the odds of winning a title are so minuscule....even if you hit the loterry and draft the really really special player the much much greater odds are the player is leaving you in the dust to join the friends somewhere else

theDude and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we dont need simmons hes a cancer and a chemistry killer

luckyman76 and Corrosion like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Work ethic is not so much about how hard he plays but how much he works on getting better.

Yes, Simmons's defense would be welcome. He would be a great role player, except that he is not being paid like a role player and he doesn't think he is a role player.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

And to be clear, no one saying bring in Simmons is saying they expect him to be the best
    player. LeBron is said to be the best player in the NBA but he is not the best player on his
    team. Anthony Davis is the top Laker. Davis goes down and LeBron couldn't lead them to a
    championship last year.

LeBron makes $41M this season...AD $35M...& then they bring n $44M Westbrook.

Sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

Wood, Porter, Jalen Green would be our best player....Simmons would be another facilitator
    and all around designated defender. Defense travels to all venues and is consistent with
    Simmons wherever he plays. Offense doesn't always travel is the rule for all players.

D-rock and theDude like this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Do you think the rockets made a mistake tanking for hakeem? Would they have been better off battling for the 8th seed sampsons rookie season?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No their mistake was not continuing to tank after they had Hakeem, they should have ranked for 6 it 7 more seasons just to show what a super smart franchise they are. Making sure talented young players adopt a losing culture is by far the most important thing after all.

D-rock, ApacheWarrior and hakeem94 like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It’s how a lot of teams are ruined. Pels got lucky to get davis, immediately tried to get solid players to make the playoffs and capped themselves as an 8th seed. Cavs had the same mistake with lebron, happens all the time. Hakeem was the 2nd super high pick though, in your ideal world after getting sampson houston would’ve been trying to chase the 8th seed with trades and not gotten hakeem

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so what are you saying is 25 teams now should be tanking every year for a minuscule chance to draft the next hakeem?

and the league should virtually consist only of 5 teams because other 25 teams stand no real chance?

lolololol tanking is not basketball...its not a sport...the p***y mentality at its best ...sore loser spoiled child complex: if its not guaranteed i will win it all i am not even thinking of competing....lolololololol

D-rock, charlieaustin and theDude like this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

So you DO think houston made a mistake getting Hakeem, interesting. Well sorry that happened man!

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad they didn't take Simmons as part of the Harden deal. We would not have ended up with the draft haul that we got. It's that initial return that makes taking on Simmons now so easy to swallow. We've got a PG, SG and C whose defensive games are questionable. He can guard any one of those positions at any time to help take pressure off of those guys. That is a great tool to help them in their growth.

As for the idea that Simmons will take us out of the top 10 picks for next year... isn't that what we want? Wouldn't we expect next year's pick to help us do exactly that? We just get it early. And we aren't getting it from a stop-gap player, but a player who would be here the next four years, and possibly the next decade, if it works out well.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

would you be thrilled to be able to buy the championship ring at e bay since you're so desperate to get one?

would you be happy if tilman paid the refs to get you the cahmpionship?

would you be happy if all nba players got injured save rockets so you can win the championship?

lololololol

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Bucks fans don’t seem to upset about this one, warriors fans don’t seem upset about 2018. I want them to build a sustainable team that can compete for a long time, that’s the goal. To me, that means at least a reasonable shot to compete for a title. I have little interest in being portland for example where you’re capped at 50ish wins and no chance at a title

luckyman76 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOLOL .... someone somewhere tried to kill somebody and ended up doing the right thing by pure accident...someone gambled all he had and earned a fortune.....it doesn't mean its a good idea to bet all you have...it just means that you can profit even from mistakes...

the other day i have played a bad chess move and it confused my opponent so much so that his time expired and i won...it doesnt mean my move was good and should be played in future when such occasion arises

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I know some still believe in the integrity of the lottery....

There's something else to factor in as far as I'm concerned...I doubt we're getting the Silver payback from the League again next year. No matter our record, we could be drafting anywhere.

D-rock and theDude like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is where disagreements over talent evaluation come into play. The Rockets already have KPJ, Wood, and Green. You look at that and you see trash, I look at it and see 3 potential all star caliber players. Given that, I think trading scraps and Wall for a 4th super young potential all star caliber player is worth it.

That's not trying to win it all behind Sampson....or even just Sampson and Olajuwon.

Forcing the team to tank sounds like a good way to get those young players to want out as quickly as possible. I completely supported the tank last season because of the specific situation the team was in....but long term tanking basically never works. There's plenty of examples of a one year tactical tank working though, and that's what I advocated for. If after that one year tank you could go forward with a young core of KPJ, Wood, Green, and Simmons.....you did damn good.

D-rock, ApacheWarrior and theDude like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so you do believe the league should consist of 5 teams only?

i think 'a sustainable team that can compete for a long time' is a ghost..is very subjective or something that doesnt really exists...

name that kind of team now in the league or in the past

'reasonable shot to compete for the title' is also purely subjective....miami and suns in last 2 years didnt have a reaosnable shot yet they almost won it all

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya a lot of what you’re saying is fair. Suns certainly were not a contender, just every team they played got injured. Bubble stuff I don’t count at all. It’s so hard to win without an mvp level player, and while it’s POSSIBLE green is, it’s also very unlikely, so i’d rather take another shot vs capping the team, that’s all

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, I agree that Green/KPJ/Wood have legit talent. Some of the other pieces are interesting, too. Al P, Tate, KMJ
    You know who looks like trash to me: that weird looking white kid, the white KD, who's supposed to go #1 next year. If that's the best prospect for next draft, no thanks ma'am, no tanking for me, I'm good with what we got...

ApacheWarrior and theDude like this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The people who are advocating tanking are wanting Holmgren or Banchero. So, they at are counting on us being both the worst team in the league, and still winning the lottery. This ignores the fact that the lottery only marginally benefits the worst three teams. It also fails to acknowledge that last year we had basically 1/3 season of Wall, 1/3 season of Wood, and 1/3 season of KPJ, arguably our three best players. That's not happening again, and even if it does, we have added Green. I'm not sure if they understand that tanking would mean shelving three or four very good players for the majority of the year. These guys are not going to play along. It's time to face the reality that the option for tanking with this team no longer exists. They may organically produce a lower win total than we expect, but I can't even see a way for this team to actively tank the season.

20. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Trade Wall, Gordon, Wood, and House for Ben Simmons and Tobias Harris - Philly can also take any single 1st round pick they want.

PG: Porter, Jr. / Augustin
    SG: Green / Christopher
    SF: Harris / Martin, Jr.
    PF: Simmons / Tate / Garuba
    C: Theis / Sengun

You can send Christopher and Garuba down to the G-League and still have a very good 9 man rotation.

I also like have Tobias Harris on the books - you can use that salary and all of our picks to trade for a star down the line.