1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade James Harden for Kevin Love if need be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 18, 2014.

?

Would you trade Harden for Love?

1. Yes, I would do anything for Love.

22.8%
  2. No, I won't do that.

77.2%
  1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Let me make sure I understand. You just used RPM as a basis to prop up Kevin Love and in the same ranking Love is ranked behind both Nick Collinson and Channing Frye?

Quite convincing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1996656-is-kevin-love-holding-back-the-timberwolves-defense

http://nba.si.com/2014/03/06/tyson-chandler-kevin-love-video-defense/

2. dragician

dragician Member

i'd rather trade Howard.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm ticked off that I can't vote No twice. You should change the poll, Carl. ;-)-

4. dje243

dje243 Member

This. Love is a one way player just like Harden is. He does have rebounding though which is nice. If we can't get Love I would be just as happy with Lowry and Millsap. Especially because that would probably mean we would be able to keep Parsons.

5. torocan

torocan Member

I think Harden is highly unlikely to be on the block, however...

IF you were to trade Harden for Love, then you would want to make a play for Rondo, Lowry or another impact 2-way guard.

Rondo is a terrible fit with Harden on the roster, however if you get Love and move Harden, Rondo suddenly looks very, very good.

It's far easier schematically speaking to find PG's that fit with Love than PG's that fit with Harden. And it's not that hard to find 2 guards that are 3 and D players. At least its a LOT easier than finding a legitimate stretch 4 that can rebound.

So do I think Morey should do it? If it's 1 for 1, hard to say. I wouldn't discount it immediately...

6. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

No. Jones for love is decent.
    Go Morey.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fine with people disagreeing, even vehemently. But let's not act like it is some crazy unfair deal. Harden is quite good Love is just as good, if not better. And there are other circumstances to consider, like...

Indeed, many moving pieces: salary cap, available trade options and free agents, fit on court, etc.

I would agree that Morey is unlikely to include Harden in an offer UNLESS necessary. If nothing else, if you can land Love without trading Harden, you have Harden available for another trade-- like maybe for Lebron if Miami falls short and he is looking for new partners, like a couple of elite big strong guys.

But there can be circumstances where it would make sense to trade Harden for Love and fill in the perimeter star gap and the rest of the rotation some other way with guys like Rondo, Lowry, Avery Bradley, Pierce, etc.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Carl, even if Love were better than Harden its not a fair deal.

One has a contract and is locked in for 3 years

The other doesn't.

You think the Lakers thing their deal was fair losing draft picks for a Howard rental?

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That would be a gamble but given the current state of the Lakers vs Rockets...I think Love would stay AND get paid more.

And some of the other NEVER trade Harden and you are crazy to entertrain the thoughts about trading him or questioning our fanhood (not you Reeko)...Wouldn't you trade Harden for Lebron? Durant? It's not that the Yes voters don't like Harden, we just think that Love is a better fit for this team and we could pick up another player who would complete the puzzle moreso than we could with a Howard/Harden combo.

10. Amir's Johnson

This thread sucks. Carl we should trade you to a different forum.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wouldn't trade Harden for Lebron or Durant if they have expiring contracts. That the kind of risk that gets you fired and sends a team to the lotto just like the Lakers. All it takes is an injury to Howard and boom they leave.

You think Dwight leaves LA if Nash is healthy and playing like young Nash? You think he leaves if Kobe plays like MVP Kobe? I don't.

I'd rather trade Harden for the number one pick

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I voted no only because of balance of your talent.

Howard and Love are unique potental HoF type talent but they are both in the front court and cannot create for themselves. One of the main issues for Minnesota not being able to close out close games was because of Love's inability to create for himself. He needs to get the ball in the post or come off of a screen and roll for a jump shot etc. (Rubio complete inability to score the ball was probably the biggest factor for Minnesota late game failures - teams would just play the pass and force him to shoot and he did just could not do it very well)

Harden can create for himself and others and playing in the backcourt its just better talent distribution. While Howard and Love would control the glass and interior there is no perimeter threat if Harden is not there. Yes he had a terrible playoff series the past two years but part of that is his maturation process - the guy is just about to turn 25 people forget.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Carl, I actually like this post responding to torocan and myself. It's a reasonable argument. Where you go off the rails, in my humble opinion, is when you get ticked off at a player and fixate on the dude, bringing him up in every thread that could remotely qualify as one where said player could be mentioned, in a negative way, as well as starting multiple threads that end up doing the same thing. Now maybe I'm off-base, but you sometimes go too far. You really don't need to beat this sort of thing to death. You did it with Patterson, and now Pat's doing well in Toronto, so a little chest thumping on your part might be in order. I just wish you would pick and chose a bit, maybe not go whole hog, so to speak. With all due respect, of course, which you very much deserve. :)-

(now you can tell me to shut up - I won't be offended)

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Don't you have to Harden before you Love? The sheer physics of it requires Harden. First you Harden, then you Love, then you Milk Hair.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But one needs to give up the Harden in the process of getting Love. While people appreciate what Harden does, keeping him around too long tends to make one all too aware of the problems that Harden can cause-- instead of being fun and exciting, Harden becomes a painful experience, a disease that requires professional care.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That does seem true, because if you Harden for more than 4 hours you must consult your physician or a prostitute. Could that be the source of all our problems? Milk hair uses Harden too much? Plus, how does Howard find Love? With all his baby mommas maybe he already has too much Love.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Harden was a disappointment in the playoffs, but I tried to YouTube videos of Love in the playoffs to see if he stepped up.... I couldn't find anything.

1 person likes this.
  18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The answer is no. Harden is less injury prone, is a true facilitator, and plays at the position of most scarcity in the NBA.

Let's think for a second very soon PFs like Bosh, Dirk, Melo, and ZBo are about to be available.

Next year it's Love and LMA and I'm just going off the top of my head.

HOWEVER THERE ARE FEW TO ZERO STAR SGS AVAILABLE!!!

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

After digesting the question,I would have to say yes. It comes with who else would we get to complete the deal. Using Harden in a trade for Love requires less compensation for him. So if they were to make that trade, I'm sure its straight love for harden. That allows the rockets to use Jones and filler to get another perimeter player. Ideally, rondo is still the guy as the conductor to the train. After rondo,which would cost probably parson,lin,and jones or dmo, I'm thinking Deng and ariza as 2/3.

Rondo,Ariza,Deng,Love,Howard is a true championship team. Well balance on offense and defense with guys who have competed deep in the playoffs.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't buy the argument that he's not a winner. Garnett was a winner before he ever went to the playoffs and way before he won a championship. There are people who don't care about winning when they're in a losing situation, and it's clear from his effort both on and off court that Love cares about pushing his team forward. His teams have simply sucked. Their best picks have not met expectations. The organization has not been able to bring quality FA's in. Adelman, though a great overall coach, is clearly not fit to coach very young teams.

It's a bad situation, and when Love joins a winner then his haters are going to say it's because he has a good team around him. Lebron James wouldn't take this Wolves team to better than an 8th seed in this Western conference, and Kevin Love is no Lebron James. That doesn't mean he's not an amazing player in the NBA.

He grabs 12.5 rebounds + 37.6% from 3pt range + 50.5% on 2pters + 87% from the FT line + 4.4asst/2.5TO's. He's an elite PF right now, and like Harden, on the right team he's potentially the best player at his position.

I would not trade Harden for Love RIGHT NOW, but only because I think in current market conditions Love can be had for less. If I had to pick between the two in a vacuum, I'd go with Love. He seems more likely to become a good defender and his game complements Howard's more than Harden. It would be incredible to have a Howard/Love combo seeing as they are two of the best rebounders of this generation and that's a great thing for a running game. Moreover, Love has that ferocious grit which teams need in the playoffs. Harden and Howard don't hurt each other, but they don't really seem to help each other unless they're both more committed to fewer iso's and more PnR.