1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade James Harden for Anthony Davis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rock city, Jun 3, 2019.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol lookup what % of his made shots are unassisted

2. HP3

HP3 Member

What? That doesnt make any sense. Davis got swept by the Warriors as an 8th seed. And then lost in 5 games to them, one of which was without Curry. And as far as I know, we have had the MOST success agaisnt them.

And your answer is to trade Harden for AD, cmon that aint happening. Harden has 3-4 great years of ball left. And Im not gonna bank on AD reaching his prime(growth is not linear). Davis does not give you 3/4's of Harden's offense, what? Hes an awesome defensive player, but if he were such a capable defender than the Pelicans would be better defensive team than they have been the past couple of years. Cp an AD are not beating the Warriors. AD has played with Holiday. I dont even know if CP that much of an improvement over holiday at this stage. I love love love CP, but if you think that team is beating the Warriors than this discussion is over.

Yes it is, that team is not winning a championship for the next 4-5 years. What very good player are you referring to?

i mean, im sorry but I fail to see how im sipping the Koolaid here. Not to mention, player abiliites aside I would never trade the dude who was the face of our franchise like that. That is a dirty and disloyal.

Patience, jcf and Jayzers_100 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

AD doesn’t make the playoffs

HOU is not a place that’s on AD’s radar, so after a few years of mediocrity, he’ll be looking to force his way out and head to where he really wants to be which is LA or NY

this thread is dumb to begin with in the 1st place because there is no scenario where AD is committing here long-term with no Harden...it’s too unrealistic to even take seriously

What’s next, a thread about KD coming here this summer?

Patience, jcf and HP3 like this.
  4. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Loyalty is great in fans. GM Loyalty to players as they age out of their primes is how teams crash.

Other that that, it doesn’t seem to make sense to continue this debate. It’s been fun.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden is 30, dudes win MVPs at 30. His decline isn’t gonna happen for at least 3 years. Morey isn’t gonna do it.

Patience and jcf like this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Remind me what they were saying about Greg Oden back in the day?

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What has he and a team that he has led accomplished to be superior?

Patience likes this.
  8. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Because one draft pick who doesn't pan out proves your point, right? There's plenty of examples the other direction too.

9. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Oh absolutely, this trade is never going to happen. But if Houston had the opportunity, I think they would.

10. 281Texan

281Texan Member

No, it's a guards league. Evidenced by Clint Capela earning a huge contract with no jumpshot and the inability to create his own shots. He can thank Chris and James for that. AD is a great piece as a 2nd fiddle to stretch the floor, but no power forward in today's NBA is going to win a championship for a team.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The basis of my statement was not his team’s accomplishments or his personal accolades.

12. jcf

jcf Member

What do you think my point was? That pre-draft predictions don't always pan out? If so, that was my point. Sam Bowie says "hi". Need more?

And I wouldn't trade a superstar in his prime for the hopes of a college superstar turning into a better NBA superstar.

13. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

See my previous response - there are plenty of examples both ways (i.e. where trading a star veteran for a draft pick/rookie is the right call).

Also, just talking about the "hopes of a college superstar turning into a better NBA superstar" misses the point. If Zion pans out, the upside is 10-15 years of a star player vs however many years Harden has left as a top player. Not to mention in a salary cap league, three or four of those years are at a VERY team friendly salary number. Trades aren't about "is x better than y today?". They're about "Does this trade and ALL its impacts help me build a team now and in the future?" You're answering the first question, not the second.

Sure, it's a hard decision and a gamble either way. And obviously not a popular suggestion here where sentiment for Harden clearly runs strong, as it should. But it's certainly not as clear cut as you make it sound.

14. jcf

jcf Member

I get your point, but you have to risk adjust Zion's value. Let's agree to disagree, but I would rather have a few more years of Harden's prime then the chance that Zion helps us more down the line. Also, you would have to factor in the value of potentially tanking when Harden is over and having a shot then at whoever is then considered the best candidate in the draft.

15. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Fair enough. Clearly it's a gamble - different people evaluate risk different ways.

jcf likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Then what is the basis?

What makes him superior?

HP3 likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

^ This.

You know it’s the off-season when this sort of thread floats at or near the top of the barrel every day for days on end.

Reeko likes this.
  18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Yes definitely want to win less in the regular season and playoffs. Sign me up

vlaurelio likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you really need me to explain all the things he does better?

I can do so, and you will still assert that it doesn’t outweigh the stuff Harden does better. So this won’t go anywhere, and in any case it’s a waste of time because Davis’s injury propensity makes him a less valuable player anyway in my estimation.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Davis is a better rebounder, shot blocker, interior scorer.

Harden is a better perimeter scorer, better overall scorer, better facilitator.

Davis can score but cant really shoulder the offensive load and carry his team's offense, especially in the fourth.

And this shows in the records and performances of a team led by Davis vs a team led by Harden over the years.

Especially damning considering how weak the league is in this era when it comes to bigs. He should be completely dominating.

What exactly did Davis do against the Warriors in the playoffs last season that makes him a superior player? He went out 1-4.

Davis led teams have underachieved.

I really dont see where you are coming with Davis being a superior player.

Mr. Space City and HP3 like this.