1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade for Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eyhab27, Jul 27, 2008.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

What combination of players would you guys be willing to give up for a shot at Smith?

Scola+Battier?
    Scola+Landry+AB? (not sure if he we can sign and trade Landry)

OR, do you think it is not worth going after Josh Smith?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He is a 3 in the west IMO. Just sayin...

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

of course, but the rockets dont have the pieces.....you dont tradfe 2-3 role players for a player with josh smith game and potential.

4. Tornadoofsoul6

Not really worth it IMO, unless we get a steal. As much as I like JSmoove, Smith would do poorly in a slow halfcourt offense and a pretty terrible jump shooter, if the Rockets trade Battier for Smith, the Rockets would face a big spacing problem. If we got Scola for Smith, I'd slap myself silly, but it ain't goin' to happen.

5. eyhab27

If he is a 3 on this team, then his weak side shot blocking will be incredible. It would probably help Yao a ton.

6. killer instinct

Can he hit a jumpshot better than Battier? From the corner?

If he can't we know what other teams will force him to do the whole time?

Has anyone seen this guy take big charges and dive for loose balls?Just wondering...I know he's young but does he have as much heart or will he want the ball more?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bad offense IMO. Scores off broken plays, ISOs, jackups, putbacks etc... When he hasn't gotten a shot off in a short period of time he will throw something up there to get involved. Streaky jumper. He can make those athletic plays we covet though. If McGrady could get him involved it wouldn't be a problem, especially if they developed chemistry. But he would look ugly out there with Yao IMO. On offense that is.

8. eyhab27

dont get me wrong. i love battier, and think he works well in the offense. i am just considering that fact that we still need a 3rd legit option on offense. His jump shot is descent, he hustles, and has athleticism that is off the charts.

i know he is a little immature, so this may be a factor as well. we know what we get with scola and battier on this team...

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

when he plays the 3...

when he plays the 4 he is much more useful. He's a good shot blocker, rebounder, decent defender, and his streaky shot can stretch defenses. He's a very poor man's KG IMO.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

You exclude Yao and Tmac.

Then start with EITHER Battier or Scola + any other combination of players and picks Atlanta wants. Landry can't be in the picture because of contract issues. Your roster left basically includes Yao, Tmac, Smith, Battier or Scola, Landry (can't be traded if signed), Alston (don't think they would want the contract), Barry (can't be traded in such a deal) + whatever left below + Mike Harris.

Scola OR Battier + Brooks, Greene, Head, Hayes, Novak, rights to Leunun/Newley/Hill + expirings (BJ, SF, etc) + picks--whatever they want in what combination they want.

I have a hard time fathuming Atl can't get a whole lot more value than what we can offer. But as a pure cost cutting move and some low cost prospects and expirings to offer--worth a shot.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

everyone not named yao or tmac.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I just can't see him playing Duncan, Stoudemire, Gasol, West, Boozer, etc... on a regular basis. He can come off the weak side and block everything into space but he would get abused on the block. Like when we tried to play Battier at the 4, you jeopardize the players best asset. Then again, sometimes a shot of athleticism fixes all.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Josh Smith has a big problem between the ears. He isn't worth (1) the contract he's going to get this summer and (2) I'm just fine with Scola as our starting PF.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think the Hawks would trade with Rockets for Josh Smith. But it will be a deal for T-Mac or Yao.

It would be Smith, another young player, and draft choice....for whichever star.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

First, who's checking those guys anyway, they're great players. I don't see him doing any worse than Scola and Landry on those guys. Also, he's much longer than Battier and as you said the athleticism is a big factor. Think about the Yao/Boozer matchup. Yao may be able to kill him sometimes but there's no way Yao can keep up with him.

Obviously Smith is a tweener but I always feel you should play where you're strengths are maximized. His is athletecism.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's basically the face of the the franchise in Atlanta given his rising status and roots in the Atlanta area. If, and that's a big "if", Atlanta is unable to negotiate a new contract he is going to be S&T'ed for a lot more than we can offer.

Put yourself in the perspective of a Hawks fan. After all the frustration, all the losing seasons, all the mediocrity...to finally have a glimmer of hope and a franchise player from the Atlanta area. What does the possibility of him walking sound like to you?

Would you be happy with a guy like that getting dealt for Battier & Scola? Gimme a break.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This seems sensible to me. However, I really really like both Battier and Scola...so yes, I would never want to give up both of them, and giving up one of them would be really tough already. If we could get Josh Smith, I would do it, though.

How sweet would it be if we could get him for Jackson, Francis, Head, Greene, and a first-rounder and a second-rounder...

18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Giving up both Battier and Scola for Josh Smith would be a terrible decision.

19. killer instinct

Personally the whole " ATHLETICISM" argument after seeing the downfall of say....STEVE FRANCIS is such an overrated sell considering the other teams are going to force the guy to shoot jumpshots (weakness?) and then when the athletic skills are declining the player becomes a permanent liability.

Scola and Battier you know the effort and the skill is there....Josh Smith is he as reliable every night as Battier is on defense or Scola on intensity? Doubt it.

WHAT GOOD IS ATHLETICISM 20 feet from the basket?

PASS on Josh Smith and the hype over his inconsistent athletic play.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They are going crazy on the Lakers board....thinking they can snag him for Lamar Odom. As if the Hawks would trade a young versatile wing on a cheap 1 yr contract for an older versatile wing on a more expensive contract.