1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade for Corey Maggette?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BoyhoodDream, Nov 15, 2000.

1. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

As many of you may be aware, the Clippers are looking ot trade one their many swingmans and Corey Maggette might be available. I would love to have Maggette here to team up with Mobley and Francis. But we most likely don't have what it to takes to get him in terms of what the Clippers need.

Hypotheticaly speaking, would you guys trade Kenny Thomas for Maggette?

I would take Maggette over Thomas most anyday, but then again I realize what little depth we have up front. Therefor, I would not do that trade.

Any ideas on what we can offer, if at all?

------------------

2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

No, Kenny shows such a tremendous upside. Granted his shooting percentage isn't exactely high but KT's defense, hustle, rebounding and overall play just make him a player that should not be dealt away.

------------------
    Walt Williams is great

atheistalliance.org

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

hypothetically?

yes. But as you said, the Rockets need big men. No room for guards, and adding another quality guard with the current squad would only encourage those crazy Rudy all-guard line-ups. [​IMG]

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Can't see where the Rockets:

A) Need him -
    Steve, Cat & Shandon get heavy minutes at the 2, Walt, Shandon & occassionally Cat get all the minutes at the 3 (ask Langhi about it).

B) Want him -
    other than being an athletic 6'6" swingman, what REAL quality does Maggette bring to the table that they don't already have or can obtain in next years draft. Maggette himself was a 13th pick.

C) Afford him -
    RealGM says it takes Carlos Rogers or KT & Collier (after Dec. 15th) to make the salaries work. Barring injury, Corey would not get enough minutes at 2 or 3 to be more valuable than any of those players (and the Clips would want a pick with 'Los)

Hypothetically - yes, you can't have too many good athletes. Realistically, can't see it ever happening. The Rocks would be banking on his upside potential which IMHO is less than Morris or Battier.

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited November 15, 2000).]

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

We need somone on our bench besides Cuttino. I would take him.

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

What does REalGM think about us getting Odom when he is a free agent.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

7. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Would you trade Shandon for Magette?I don't think I would because I don't think that Corey has showed enough to me that I would give up Shandon for him. IF Magette was going to be here, we would have to get rid of a guard and its not going to be Cat or Stevie, obviously.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

8. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

BECK--

HELL NO!!! Shandon is untouchable, as far as I'm concerned. He has been in a bit of a slump lately, and many impatient Houston fans are letting that make them forget that he is arguably the best all-around guy on this team. Trading Shandon for an unproven Maggette (who I admit is a great athlete with some potential) is not a realistic decision to make. Couple that with the fact that we don't need him anyways, like you said...

------------------
    Jazzkiller

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Beck, No way would I ever give up Shan, especially if it was just for Maggette. Shandon is flat out better than Corey anyways.

------------------
    Walt Williams is great

atheistalliance.org

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Nomar -
    not sure if you're being curious or sarcastic.

Odom and 7 other Clips including Maggette will be FA's in 2003. His worth on RealGM or in the real world at that time is TBD. He can force a S&T or he can just walk (like Mo).

Odom currently makes $2,628,960/year. That's slightly more than Bull, 'Los, Shandon, & Mo and slightly less than Stevie & Cat. It's also TWICE as much as Maggette. I'd rather have Odom, but so would the Clippers.

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited November 16, 2000).]

11. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Just to clarify...I'm not saying we should do that. All I was saying is that we have no use for Magette if we still have Cat, Shandon, and Francis. I think that Shandon is a better fit for thisteam and better player.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Shandon is far from untouchable. In fact I am a little worried that Rockets management will feel they owe Shandon a huge salary increase and give him a Cato-esque salary.

Anyway, I wouldn't trade Shandon for Maggette because that would just screw up our checmistry and put us back at least another 2-3 years. Odom on the other hand.....

[​IMG]

------------------
    Only in America....do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

13. verse

verse Contributing Member

corey maggette is a baller.

even if he should have stayed in college for at least 2 more years. truthfully, i think he has more natural, god-given ability than any of our guards, except for steve. he's silky smooth, an EXCELLENT open court player, has an nba body @ a young age, is heady, has a respectable jumper, etc. what hurts him in la is they are so guard heavy (like houston).

that said, alvin gentry STILL can't keep him off the floor. and he makes an impact almost every time he gets in there. not necessarily in the cuttino mobley kind of way. more like that guy who does stuff that doesn't get marks on the stat sheet.

so if you're asking if i would trade shandon for him, hmmmm, maybe. if it would be a pr nightmare or viewed as backstabbing, i would say yes. then again, la doesn't need another sf. what they need is more bodies - much the same as we do. now, salaries notwithstanding, if you're talking about carlos or kenny thomas for corey maggette, shoooooot, i'd do it quicker than a jordan carry.

kenny thomas' can be found again. can you imagine a guard rotation of francis, anderson, mobley, and corey? we wouldn't need moochie at this point. corey is capable of handling some backup pg. as a matter of fact (as i ramble on) you can play corey at the one, two or three spots. he'd find a way to get minutes.

at the expense of a kenny thomas, carlos rogers, etc. type of player....i'd be on the phone with the clips right now.

------------------
    Mobley and Francis ...are not the two best players on the team.

- Rockeem 11/2/2000

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Sure. Young talent with a big upside. Why not?

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

When Anderson sits down this lineup sounds nice:

Cato
    Taylor
    Maggette
    Mobley
    Francis

But who could we give to the Clips in exchange?

16. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

Right now I'd trade 'Los and Langhi or Los and Draft picks to Detroit for JYD Williams. Doesn't that sound good. Or trade Los to Njersey for AAron Williams.

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

17. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

yes yes yes.. Jerome is the answer for this team!

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If what you're looking for is a straight rebounder, with a limited offensive game, why not Michael "the Animal" Smith out of Washington? He's averaging 6.7 rebounds in 15 minutes a game, and would certainly come cheaper than JYD.

------------------

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We need KT's boards but we dont need his shooting , Rogers and Collier are trade bait

------------------
    Would you like to join the signature of the month club?

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Lets not get carried away he is no Larry Hughes [​IMG]