1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

BS for Draymond would be the best situation for everyone.

I esp would like to see how Murry bullshits lavishes praise on Dray's intangibles.

They'd skyrocket to the Media's Enemy #1 with the all-hate lineup of Murry, Dray and Troel.

It'd be so bad, GARM would start posting threads about the Rockets losing that title. :(:mad::mad::(:oops:

2. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, he isn't going to change.... he is a mental midget that has been coddled since he was a child prodigy. I know at LSU he was out of shape and would skip practices.

Having said that, there ARE things he does extremely well like defend, pass, rebound....... the issue is his pay is so excessively high. He needs to go to a team where he is a 4th option offense.... but with the cap limits, that means it has to be a team with high level scorers on a rookie contract most likely.

That really decreases the possible trade partners.

Buck Turgidson and YOLO like this.
  3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Trading for someone is like choosing a romantic partner. If you have to say "sure, he's bad now but maybe I can change him", it's probably not a good idea.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This in a nutshell. It'd be much easier to trade Wood and get a good return than trade Simmons. Some people say that if Simmons doesn't fit well with us, we can always flip him for something else. If it's that easy to flip him for something good, Morey would have done that already.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Rockets and 6ers are in two different positions. Morey is trying to contend right now. He's likely not interested in making a trade for younger players or picks. When you factor that in I don't think Wood is more valuable than Simmons in trades for a team like the Rockets.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes simply not a better player...wood is a unique talent here highly sought after in nba a mobile big that can shoot...while simmons is a deeply flawed player...if he were drafted as high as simmons hed be a perrenial allstar and wed have a different convo now...
    simmons is a pure hype no substance while wood is an all substance no hype guy
    simmons would be an great guy on a 10 mil contract as a project if he would promise hell try to learn how to shoot

luckyman76 and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Because the Rockets would get a player for 5 seasons instead of 2, and the Rockets would get that player at a lower salary which would allow the Rockets to spend the money on another player or two to help the team. Also, the Rockets would be getting a younger player.

I am not saying that the Rockets for sure should trade him, but if the Rockets will be a lottery team the next couple seasons, they would be better served moving him for assets or players to help the team down the line when they are competitive. Wood is going to get max money most likely when his deal is up, and there is also a real chance he wouldn't sign with the Rockets if we are really bad.

There are reasons to keep him and to trade him. If we are out of it at the deadline, look for him to be available in trade... there is even a real chance he is asking for a trade if there are contenders interested that will give him a good sized role on the team.

dmoneybangbang and HP3 like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

That's fair. But you still have the Klutch angle where his location might be dictated to a degree.

There is a chance Simmons turn it around enough to where he causes a bidding war like the mini AD situation, but I just don't want to take that chance unless if it's for something unrealistic like Simmons for Wall type deal.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I disagree.

Wood does something very well, including shooting from the outside, rebounding and he is very long and mobile. However he is very flawed as well. He is very thin and can be pushed around inside and struggles defensively. Ideally he needs a big and strong post player next to him. Wood is also a poor passer and that limits his offensive contributions from s team perspective.

Simmons is a poor shooter and not a willing shooter, that means that he needs to be surrounded by shooters. That IS a problem, however he is also an exceptional passer and rebounder and one of the top 3 defenders in the world. He can cover a lot of teams weaknesses on the defensive end, and he can run an offense.

I don't think either of them are franchise players, and both are talented players with flaws.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

loloolol less mobile is a cute way to hide how much more wood is valuable ...

its like saying eric gordon is only a less accurate/precise version of steph curry...and in reality these two cant be more different of a player and ego is nothing like steph curry....

its seems youre a bit too attached to meaningless flipping of the assets

as per ws i need to look whats that stat about but i am sure its far from being flawless and it needs context

11. dmoneybangbang

This.

Wood is a great tragic irony of the Harden era. We originally drafted him but he couldn't keep it together between ears. If he had figured it out just a little sooner, maybe the Harden saga could have ended better.

Nook likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Putting aside fit, which is certainly questionable, and his contract, which is certainly too large, in my opinion, you just gave the main reason we shouldn't consider trading for the guy. I put it in my post earlier. According to the media I've seen, Simmons wants to play for a West Coast team and his agent, no surprise, very likely feels the same way. I'm guessing that Simmons would be stunned to find out that he'd been dealt to the Rockets. Stunned as in, "Oh god . . . my life is over!"

Unfair to Houston and a Rockets team with a fresh infusion of top flight young talent? I think so, but there you are. Not only that, but one of the assumptions I made when Plowman posted the thread was that Wall would be included in the deal, a requirement for salary matching purposes and because we'd almost all love the see the door smack Wall's rear as he leaves.

A large assumption on my part, and perhaps Plowman's. Unless Morey has a 3rd team willing to take Wall, would he want Wall if he's also getting Wood? Wood and whatever he could steal from our now brimming cupboard of young talent and future 1st round picks/pick swaps, thanks to Stone?

Morey could see being rid of a max contract player now seen as a cancer on the Sixers (and reportedly very disliked by Embiid) for a veteran PG that can still produce if healthy, and on an expiring contract after next season, as better than the alternative. He could also see a lot to pilfer from the Rockets, a lot more than Wood, a genuine talent. One thing Morey could be sure of. Whatever issues Simmons has as a player, as a presence in the locker room, and simply as a person would belong to another team. The Rockets.

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

While I worry about Klutch I don't worry about it as much for the Rockets. We aren't LA or NY but we are in the second tier of NBA towns. If Green, KPJ, and/or Sengun show star power I'm not that worried about Klutch trying to get Simmons off the team. They weren't even trying to get him out of Philly until things fell apart. And even if that does happen I think you can still get comparable value to what you could get for Wood this year or next.

I like KPJ/Green/Wood/Sengun but I worry that nobody seems like they are going to be a lock down defender. Simmons could be the elite perimeter defender for the KPJ/Green backcourt and they would take a ton of pressure off oh him offensively if they develop into the scorers we hope they will. For the price of only Wood I'm going for it.

14. dmoneybangbang

No.... Vuc is just a really good offensive player with a high usage that has been doing producing for multiple seasons. EGO and Steph's production are vastly different so that's not a very good comparison at all.

There's nothing meaningless about taking advantage of a window where we own our picks for the next two seasons. I don't want to pay Wood the max or close to the max. You do, that's your opinion.

15. dmoneybangbang

I'd rather move Simmons along to GSW for Kuminga and/or Moody plus Wiggins (large expiring next season).

His attitude is just so off putting. I think it's going to be a tall ask for him to play the type of role you envision.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Are you coming at me bro or sis?

In my first post on this thread (post #35) I clearly stated, and I quote,
    "I would not"

You can't miss it......it's the first line (see page 2 of this thread)

I'm just having a conversation from one basketball savant to another @DeBeards
    over how or why a team would or should take him. I said not a good fit for Houston several times
    because we have Porter/Green doing their thing.

If Simmons would actively wholeheartedly buy into playing the Roll-Man in PnR....
    where he sets a screen and rolls the basket and then resets the screen again and
    again if it wasn't there the first time.....like Giannis did. Then yes, I would trade CW
    for him.

Simmons could be a monster at 6'10" setting screens with that solid body, rolling to
    the rim with good leaping ability. Simmons just doesn't understand the situation.
    He is a 6'10" point guard on offense not 6'2"!!! He can be dunking on almost 96%
    of all players in the NBA when he gets his momentum headed to the rim.
    Use that side body to absorb contact and at least draw the foul.

Monster setting screens for Green and Porter Jr !!!! and Wall/Eric Gordon whoever remains.

Plus his Defense Player of the Year D that he brings you year in and year out.
    He was guarding Trae Young and giving him hell !!!!!
    Guards can't even guard Trae Young !!!! 6'10" players should be at Young's mercy !!!!

Geez, people are so anal sometimes

DeBeards likes this.
  17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The role I envision him in includes a lot of ball handling. KPJ isn't a true PG and Green isn't a playmaker yet. Ben will still get to have the ball a lot on the Rockets.

I'd be fine with Wiggins/Kuminga as well. I don't care as much about the cap space because the upcoming FA class is pretty lackluster and we will have plenty of cap space in a few years when the young guys are likely ready to be more competitive.

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Eric Gordon is not a defensive player of the year candidate and he's a black hole that doesn't pass. Not even close to a comparison. Ben Simmons impact on the game is greater than Woods. That is a fact. Wood has never made the playoffs and is always on one of the worst teams in the league.

Sure I see flashes from Wood but let's be real is he even one of top 40 players in the league? As far as the contract goes, sure it is atrocious but we have bad contracts to give out too. Getting off Gordon, eventhough I like him makes a ton of sense to me since we needs minutes for Green and Christopher.

#158 RHU525, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The Rockets are in rebuild mode, and have a direction based around 2 young guards.
    Ben Simmons comes with baggage, and we would be asking him to play a new position. Odd experiment to give up assets for...

Any team trading for Ben and not playing him at the point is taking a gamble. Perhaps we could provide some assets and get a return from a 3rd team? But not Simmons himself....

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Rich Paul told Boston that if they traded for AD it would be a one year rental because he would only go to LA or NY. Boston had just come off two ECF appearances. Philly isn't a bottom tier city either and things have fallen apart there because of Simmons. They have a deep pockets and an MVP level player in Embiid, but Simmons was the weak link in the playoffs and it's him who wants out now. I'm excited about our young guys, but I don't think they have the appeal to Klutch that makes us a destination. It's clearly market over everything else to them.

I'd rather not be at Klutch's mercy in negotiations as they are so management unfriendly. I don't believe Simmons would have as much trade value for us as Wood will. We can trade Wood to any team in the league while Klutch will tell any non-CA or NY teams to stay away if we try to trade Simmons.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.