1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Battier for Rashard Lewis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eyhab27, May 14, 2007.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

I threw out the idea of trading Yao for Garnett, and got mixed responses about it. I think the majority were pretty indifferent about it.

Would you trade Battier for Lewis? I know the salaries won't match, since Lewis will demand around 10 mill starting, but Battier is the type of player that every team would want, so I am sure the two teams could find a way for it to work.

Lewis could really bring the athleticism we need to the SF spot, with the same great 3 point shooting that Battier brings. He isn't as good of a defensive player as Battier, but he is above average in my point of view. Maybe he would even give us a hometown discount :)

With the addition of Lewis, and possible signing of Francis (of course with the Knicks buying him out, which is looking more and more likely everyday), our team will have the firepower to contend with the West, without having to completely revamp our roster.

With this team, honestly, trading Yao for Garnett looks better and better by the minute. see would you trade Yao? for more detail.

could you imagine the following roster?

Garnett
    Hayes
    Lewis
    McGrady
    Francis

I know this isn't NBA Live! But the all of these acquisitions are more realistic thank you think!

The following is a post by me on the third page of this thread

Maybe we can work out a three team trade between Seattle, Minny, and Houston with something like the following happening:

Houston gets:
    Garnett
    Lewis

Minny gets:
    Yao
    Howard

Seattle gets:
    Battier
    Foye
    Sura

I think it is only fair that Minny have to take Howard along with Yao, since it is understood that Yao still has alot of potential to do alot of great things in the league. I think that if Minny traded Garnett to anyone else, they would never get even close to the same value for him. They would be stuck with players that are overpaid, over the hill. Yao is only 27 and is making 11 million, which is unheard of! Everyone knows that you dont trade big for small, so they wouldn't want to trade Garnett for lets say Joe Johnson. Yao has more value, and more market appeal than Brand, or any other big man, so Minny would drool all over this trade.

Seattle I think would be very satisfied to get one very young scorer with amazing potential, along with a solid SF with amazing defensive capabilities. Also both of the players they are getting do no make a whole lot of money, and would still help the team tremendously. We may need to send another play to Seattle (maybe someone with an expiring contract, sura?) to make it all match.

I honestly think that a trade like this (of course making the salaries match correctly) could benefit all of the teams involved.

#1 eyhab27, May 14, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
  2. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

No, we need glue, not talent.

3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Absolutely.

I think Battier's "intangibles" are very overrated. Don't get me wrong, I like having the guy on our team, but for Lewis it's a no brainer. This team needs another option much more than it needs a "glue guy" like Battier... only his injuries are a tiny bit of a concern.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can Lewis drive to the basket? If he can't do it off the dribble than I am not sure he is that much different than Battier.

DD

5. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

Yes, I would make that trade. I think Lewis brings a little bit more to the table and is a legit 3rd option.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Would I want a BJ from Jessica Alba and Angelina Jolie at the same time?

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

lewis doesn't take charges. screw that he's a legit third option that rebounds just as well, and more importantly, is just as efficient.

8. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

in a heartbeat

9. sbyang

sbyang Member

What is the fascination with Lewis anyway? Once Rashard gets that new contract he will be one of the most overpaid and untradable players in the league.

10. Pocket Rockets

and how do you suppose these are realistic transactions?

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, first you hypnotize a few GMs, then you...

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What he said. That would give the Rockets three legit All-Star players on their roster. And on a good day, two of those All-Stars look like superstars.

Plus let's not overlook what Rashard did against Utah late in the season when he led the Sonics back from 20 points down in the 4th quarter in Salt Lake City.

13. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I don't know guys....

I mean I don't think he is going to take 1 charge a game for the team, while getting called for 3 fouls while drawing to draw charges, and getting burned for a few baskets while trying to draw charges instead of playing defense

I don't think he is what we need around here.

14. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

with yao lewis and tmac, theres enough fire power and balance. Stick in chuck hayes to do all the dirty works and develop vspan you get another penetrater creater point guard thats perfect

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I know that we will only get Rashard, when he is over the hill.

16. aamir

aamir Member

When we can actually manage a game where only four players score, its pretty clear we need scorers more than intangibles.

Would love it, but would never happen.

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

After pondering it a while, I don't think trading in Battier for Lewis would make the team all that much better.

Yes, Lewis is a better player, but he really wouldn't drastically change what we do on offense, which is kind of what we need. We need to, imo, put a 3 guard lineup out there again.

Also, Lewis is not worth 10 mil per year. BUT, if we could somehow get Ridnour, or Collison, by giving up whatever they might want(1st rounder + Alston?), that would make it worth it, I think.

IF we could sign Nocioni for the MLE, then

Ridnour
    TMac
    Rashard
    Nocioni
    Yao

would be an interesting lineup. Length, shooting, rebounding, and I think JVG would be able to coach up the d if he was still there.

18. jjfjj

jjfjj Member

hell yes

19. lustdog

lustdog Member

I see a mess and headaches to the mgmt.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

of course...