1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Andre Johnson for Darrelle Revis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheRealist137, Aug 4, 2010.

?

Johnson for Revis?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. No

214 vote(s)
    91.5%
  1. msn

msn Member

I hear what you're saying, but I don't agree with it. He structured his deal when the market was at a certain level. A couple idiot clubs grossly overpaid a prima dona or two. That doesn't mean AJ "deserves" anything, awesome as he is.

It's a contract. Honor it.

That said, evidently McNair was more than happy to restructure the deal and pay the man. Good for them both.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Have you been watching any of there games for the past 7 years???

This guy deserved that contract and some, being arguabely the best wide receiver in the league.

3. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

WHAT?!!? u cant be serious askin a DUMB*** question like that. AJ is gonna be the first HALL OF FAMER from the TEXANS hands down. He is the face of the city and the face of the TEXANs. HAnds down the BEST WR in the NFL. He has invested his time,sweat, and skills from the day we drafted him and he put that TEXANS uniform on. And u ask a question if you would trade him for a cry baby that has been doin something good for 2 or 3 years? PLZZz....clutch should kick u off website for coming up with such a upsurd question. :mad:

1 person likes this.
  4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

usually i would agree with this but all cases are different.

His first contract was understandablly redone because it was his rookie deal. Happens all the time.

This last one does "look" bad because he was still early into it but the market changed after his contract when other WRs started getting more.

Bottom line, he's the best in the league and as long as he keeps that up he should be paid like it.

He also didnt make a big stink about it and is currently playing so I have no issues with what happened.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Normally I'd agree but the NFL is a funny thing. Ask how many teams don't 'honor' contracts by just cutting the player. The fact that contracts are non-guaranteed means its well within the players right AND best interest to renegotiate to a better contract if possible.

When a player is on the down slope of his career its well within the rights of the team to ask the player to restructure downward or outright cut the player.

Turn about is fair play.

6. Major

Major Member

The contract specifies the right to cut the player. There's nothing inconsistent with honoring the terms of the contract and cutting the player. A contract is designed with a floor and a ceiling. The floor is the signing bonus - no matter how bad/injured/etc the player is, that's what they get. The ceiling is the max value of the contract. If the player performs, they get the ceiling. If they don't, they get the floor (or someone in between).

The tradeoff the players make is a higher floor in exchange for accepting a ceiling. If they always want to get paid market value, that's fine - just sign one year deals and accept that if you suck, your market value goes down. But if you accept a longer deal in exchange for that floor, then the price you pay is having a ceiling.

7. msn

msn Member

This. I mean, I understand what you guys are saying DMagic and CrossCountry, but ultimately I just don't like it. Again, I don't have *near* the problem with it I have with idiots like Reavis. And again, good for 'Dre and good for Bob that they came to an agreement.

Go Texans!

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Totally upsurd.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'd offer a 1 and 2 for him to the Jets and see if they bite or at least test if they are seriously considering trading him.

Revis on this team would instantly make us AFC champions. Could really use him going up against Peyton twice a year.

However I wouldn't trade AJ for him.

10. msn

msn Member

whoa, now. there is still the matter of actually winning postseason games (much less qualifying for the postseason).

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Vince is still better.....

;)

Back on topic.

Regarding the proposed trade, a shut down corner seems to be a lot harder to get than a great receiver....and if Johnson at 29 is 4 years older, than I would take Revis.

I love AJ, but at some point his production is going to start to decline a lot faster than Revis...so I would go with him....

DD

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Revis is obviously very good but I don't think he is as good as AJ at his respective position. Revis had an amazing year. BUt he was also part of an awesome defense. One that forces QBs to to rush and try to read complex blitzes. Of course that puts added pressure on the CB in one area, but it also helps them because they do not have to cover for long.

AJ has several years of being the top at what he does...good teams or bad...Carr or Schaub. I just don't know if Revis is still as good as he is if he was on a crap defense.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Revis really held Andre Johnson (who I consider the best receiver in the league) in check last year. I would say that makes him a better CB than Andre is receiver.

14. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

after one game? What happened to team sport?

could say the same thing about Mad Max vs MJ with that analogy.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i addressed this earlier in the thread.

It's hard to compare one game, when the jets entire defense dominated. Matt didnt have time...we learned early the texans cant run. That game was pathetic all the way around. Coaches couldnt figure out the blitz (which we were the guinea pigs for Ryan). Hard to say the offense sucked because Revis shut down andre. It's easier, and more lickely, that the offense sucked because the front line dominated the texans and Matt had no time to make plays downfield.

exhibit A

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HiJ9lYyj4uQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HiJ9lYyj4uQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Except that Darrelle Revis did similarly for every receiver he faced: Colson, Ochocinco, Steve Smith, so he's not a fluke. Johnson beat virtually every CB that he faced except Revis, I'd say that makes Revis the best CB in the game, and better at his job than AJ at his.

The comparison to MadMax and Jordan isn't similar at all. Maxwell and Jordan had the same job, and both played both ends of the court. And Maxwell didn't have the consistent record to extrapolate from a few head-to-head games. AJ's job is to catch passes and get yards (and block and run off defenders). Darrelle Revis's job is to stop that from happening. Revis did his job better than AJ.

That being said, there were times in the 1990's when I thought Deion Sanders was the best player in football. Revis isn't really close to that.

17. msn

msn Member

erm, this is incorrect. they played the same position, but it was *far* from "the same job".

Agreed. Would you say that AJ has a better case for "best player in football" than does Revis? Is Yao a better defensive center than Dwight Howard?

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That was just a continuous loop of bad game for the Texans. Revis covered well which allowed aggressive blitzing which resulted in Revis' coverage looking even better the rest of the game.

If Revis was here, I still don't think Bush would make the same fancy blitz packages that Rex used.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i think revis is getting a bit too much love after a good season on the nfl's best defense. Yes he is good but to claim that he is better at his position than the best WR is a bit much. Let's see Revis continue to do what he did for a couple more years.

It would also be interesting to see how he would do if you switched him and asomugha. Being on a defense that continually puts pressure on the QB always makes CBs look better.

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

That video till this day still gives me and Chris Meyers nightmares....sad face