1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade A. Johnson for N. Asomugha???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets934life, Oct 2, 2009.

1. leroy

leroy Member

The Texans are loaded at WR because they have AJ. Lose him and they lose a lot of their identity on offense. He's not an easily replaceable player. A shut down corner would help this team a lot, but it's by no means a cure all. Personally, I wouldn't trade AJ for anyone in the league right now.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right.

You just don't get rid of All-Pro talent. I'm not talking about Pro-Bowl talent. All-Pro is the level beyond that. That is what Andre is.

Ask the Titans how they are doing without Big Al. They thought they had enough talent at DT to replace him. They said before the season that their rotation of guys can replace Haynesworth.

Nope, because Big Al is doubled every play and made everyone's job easier. Especially the CBs.

That is what Andre does for us. He makes everyone's job easier because of the attention he demands. If you take out Andre...Walter is not going to get doubled, nor Jacoby, A.Davis, etc.

I'm not worried about him entering his 30s, a lot of WRs don't even drop off in production. Look at T.O how long he's been playing, Moss, Harrison, i'm not afraid of Andre getting worse at all.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Our pass D is totally a problem, its just not at DEFCON 1 like our run D.

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

^
    Still, how many games has Asomugha won for his team and how many has AJ won? = [/Thread]

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

i'd be curious to know which games AJ has won, what with his 6 TDs a year.........

6. sammy

sammy Member

Let's reference the 2007 season.

We started off the season 2-0 with AJ. He then sat out the next 7 games. The Texans were a stunning 2-5 in that stretch. They finished the season 4-3 with AJ so that year we were a solid 6-3 with AJ.

Like it or not, he is our best offensive player. We would be a below 500 team without him.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

let's see... 2-5 without him; 34-52 with him.

i mean, i obviously agree they're a better team with him, of course. but Naija Texan specifically mentioned the number of games andre johnson has "won" and that the total was so staggering, it would close the thread.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

What do you think Asomugha is? That guy is just as much, if not more, "All-Pro" talent.

Not taking anything away from Andre, but you guys are seriously diminishing the value of a CB and the talent level of Asomugha.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Jerry Rice is also on the short list for greatest football players all time. Deion was not doubt outstanding and his back-to-back Super Bowls on 2 different teams should be noted. Though Rice won Super Bowls before Deion came on his team. They're both transcendent players, just seems a non-definitive lateral move to me but fun to think about.

Its easy for Texans followers to say gimme Asomugha for the simple fact the defense has sucked for so long we're dying to to see a respectable D for once. Texans best defense was their first year! If both offense and defense units were even lets say both at #9, if the next addition to the team was a quality WR or quality CB, yeah it'd probably good to prioritize the defense and get the CB like most coaches would.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

if they went head-to-head, in theory and assuming they're both in their primes, deion covers (ie negates) jerry rice single-handedly; in doing so, he takes away one of the opponent's best weapons, changes their offensive approach, and frees up his 10 teammates to focus on stopping the remaining offensive skill players.

therefore, imo, deion > rice. and i obviously agree jerry rice is one of the all-time greatest football players.

11. meh

meh Member

Actually, in theory given today's NFL rules, Sanders would not be able to cover Rice one-on-one. And Asomugha doesn't even shadow the best opposing WR. Chris Johnson covered Andre during the Raiders game for much of the time.

So yes, if Asomugha is capable of shutting down his entire side of the field by himself, then I'd trade Andre Johnson AND a 1st round pick for him. But CBs today just can't consistently cover receivers without help.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Horrible use of stats. His teammates were much different over that span. If Tom Brady was the QB instead of Carr, Brady wouldn't have had a winning percentage.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, using w-l stats to show effectiveness of one WR is pretty ridiculous.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Especially over the life of the entire franchise since he's been here. I know you're smarter than that, Ric.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

especially when the raiders are 25-75 since asomugha was drafted :eek:

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

In regards to Asomugha, this is for Moes & other Raiders fans here(If they're any others.) I met up with Nnamdi after the game and the first thing you can tell, even after the # of years he's been in the league is that he takes each loss real bad. The only other player on the Raiders that seemed Pissed off was Gerard Warren and even then he was back to joking around and other stuff after a few mins. Nnamdi seemed equal parts angry and sad at the loss.
    The less said about Jamarcus Russell the better.

Oh, and I'd make the trade. :)

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

Never in a million years

18. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

I cant belive there are actually people on here considering this...are you F&*&% crazy?? You dont just trade THE best Wideout in football to anyone for anything..Andre will retire a texan and be our first hall of famer.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Asomugha is arguably the best CB.

31 out of 32 GMs would prefer to have Asomugha on their team if they are starting from scratch.

Andre, imo, is a top 3 wideout...he is my favorite Houston athlete and I wouldnt trade him for anything...only because Im attached to him. However, if I was completely unbiased, I would always choose the CB of equal talent.

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

I don't think the question is trade A.Johnson for anything but rather trade him or the best CB in the game.